Quantcast

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
At least you're lucky to have an elected official that listens to his base instead of his own agenda and money lines.

But unfortunately, it appears you are about to have company

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Toyota, Honda, Nissa, BMW, MB, VW all are union free Stateside with the first two dominating the US market. 30% of a UAW worker's dues add to the over $1bil strike fund :think:

life is just a bit different from when Unions first actually made a difference and when they first started appearing.
So what you're saying is that because you have some examples of car manufacturers, that means all unions are bad always everywhere...........

And jesus dood, you really think toyota's success is because of non unionized labor and has nothing to do with things like my 99 tacoma with 250 k miles on it without a single problem?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Teachers should just hire Drew Rosenhaus and televise their classroom battles.

"Ms. Jeanty. Masters in Education from ASU. 5'7" 135.
40 child dash: 57 seconds
Desk shuttle run: 17.84 seconds
Shows fortitude and an incredible ability to catch spitballs mid-air.
Wants: School with minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA, field hockey team with .500 record or better, on-campus parking pass for Volkswagen Passat."

See? Easy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So, if they don't have to have a quorum to pass it, what makes it sneaky, other than convening early?

Any less classy than running to IL to a waterpark resort, then running somewhere else when the media found out, meanwhile, back at the capital, the Sargent of arms is trying to hunt them down?

Face it, WI's government is making the Tea Party look smart.
It is quite a fine political tactic actually. You are going to see something similar with the federal government shutdown.

When faced with a ridiculous bill that will pass without debate or modification, your vote means nothing.

Now if you bailed out on something minor, you look like a loser, but this is the most important bill the legislature is going to face this term and for many more.

The key here is popular support. If the Democrats had little, it is assured they will lose their seats in the next election cycle. But if it is a popular movement, many people will support them.

On a different note, the polling is mixed, but it depends on the wording. If you think issue is about collective bargaining, you might support the protest. If you think it is about union givebacks, then you will probably be against.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/18/labor-union-polls-wisconsin-protests_n_825363.html

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
At least you're lucky to have an elected official that listens to his base instead of his own agenda and money lines.

But unfortunately, it appears you are about to have company
This could make for an interesting Saturday. Dante you must go and take pictures. :weee:

:rofl:
Fox News anchor Chris Cotter and reporter Jeff Flock found the scene in Madison, Wisconsin a little bit inhospitable, as the gathered protesters chanted "Fox lies" over and over again during their afternoon hit from the state capitol building. One gentleman in a woolly hat was especially emphatic about his opinion that "Fox lies." "Fox lies!" he said, adding, "Fox lies." Flock quipped, "Those appear to be the only two words he knows," but credited the majority of the crowd for being "reasoned, calm, and willing to talk."

As it turns out, questions regarding the veracity of the content on Fox News have been raised in more substantive ways of late. Additionally, many of the protesters carrying signs criticizing Fox for being "fascist" nevertheless praised their sports coverage, so that's something.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/18/fox-reporter-greeted-with-fox-lies-chants_n_825393.html
There is a :twitch: worthy video that accompanies the story @ the link.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
On a different note, the polling is mixed, but it depends on the wording. If you think issue is about collective bargaining, you might support the protest. If you think it is about union givebacks, then you will probably be against.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/18/labor-union-polls-wisconsin-protests_n_825363.html
The unions agreed last night in principle to the *fiscal* aspects of the bill (basically all of the actual union givebacks that would have a direct fiscal impact on the state budget). Now the only thing that Walker is still pushing for is the practical dissolution of the unions...

Now that he doesn't have his "I've asked unions to give a little more" talking point, I'm wondering how the GOP is going to try to spin this?

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_a05349be-3be1-11e0-b0a1-001cc4c002e0.html

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dammit, Dante, get off the RM and get down there to get video... this is starting to get entertaining.

Jesse Jackson rallies protesters at Wis. Capitol

Civil Rights activist Jesse Jackson led protesters Friday at the Capitol in civil rights-era chants and called the protest over Gov. Scott Walker's union cuts "a real Martin Luther King moment."
I think that "a real Martin Luther King moment" needs that little tm sign.

Now, we'll have Tea Party, Jesse and if Al would show up..

:eek:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dammit, Dante, get off the RM and get down there to get video... this is starting to get entertaining.

Jesse Jackson rallies protesters at Wis. Capitol

I think that "a real Martin Luther King moment" needs that little tm sign.

Now, we'll have Tea Party, Jesse and if Al would show up..

:eek:
And they just took it racial... Wonder what % of WI teachers are non-white. That would be an interesting statistic to have.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
And they just took it racial... Wonder what % of WI teachers are non-white. That would be an interesting statistic to have.
"they just took it racial"????? :confused:
Who's they?
Got anything to say that the protesters and or unions invited him along?

Jackson made an unannounced appearance at the protests Friday afternoon.
And nowhere in the entire article or the video linked to on that page is there any mention from him of anything other than workers rights, and he was only using all inclusive terms nothing racially based.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, the state is 90% white, Madison 83%.

I'm sure Jesse Jackson will fit in just fine...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

And nowhere in the entire article or the video linked to on that page is there any mention from him of anything other than workers rights, and he was only using all inclusive terms nothing racially based.
Ummm, the part I quoted about him calling it a "real Martin Luther King moment"???

But hey, if you want to equate asking a sector of public workers to contribute more to their health care and pensions to the trampling of basic human rights of an entire race, then feel free....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Who's they?
The spooks. You know, the ones who have their hands in the pockets of guys like the Joker who are the productive class, so they can go out and smoke crack and eat fried chicken while he's working as a slave to the undermensch.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Jeez, the worst thing about protesting is that I'm not connected to the interwebs. Stupid 3 year old "dumb" phone.

By the way, did you mean this guy? Everybody was following him around for some reason...

Headed over today, and crowds were insane. They said 70,000 (50% more than yesterday), but it looked MUCH larger. I would've guessed 2x to 2.5x as many as yesterday, but it was hard since the square is a mile around and there's really no way to see everything at once (aside from the helicopters going overhead).

Didn't even bother trying to get into the Capital since there was a line that stretched halfway down the block just to do so. Can't imagine how many people were in there, since previously there have been up to 5,000 inside and it hasn't been full....

The tea party did show up to protest, and there might have been a couple thousand? When they were contained in their little protest they looked pretty small (comparatively), but their rally only lasted a little over an hour and then filtered out through the crowd to heckle the protesters.

Otherwise the signs were the best part (sorry, didn't bring my longer lens, so weren't able to get close up shots unless I was right in front of it):

I agreed with this guy 100%.

She had a cookie monster hat on.

Then we took the riot over to the local brewpub and had a violent thoughtful discussion about our differences of opinion over a couple pints (it is WI, afterall).

We went to go back to protest, but the sun was setting and getting cold. So we went off to another bar to drink our differences away.

All in all it reminded me of a tea bagger rally but with better spelling and proper grammar and punctuation. (And about 15x bigger than any tea bagger rally I've been to.)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Your coverage is awesome. Thanks, gives a little local flavor to national news coverage you don't see.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Your coverage is awesome. Thanks, gives a little local flavor to national news coverage you don't see.
Oh, uh, speaking of which I was apparently on Nightline on Friday, and on various news stations around the country... :shocked:

So Fri morning I was getting ready to pick my wife up at the airport (she was retuning from a business trip), and about 10:30am I see on the news that while it was assumed that all Democratic Senators were out of state, Mark Miller (D) was rumored to be at his house. The head of the Senate sent out the Sargent at Arms and a state trooper (also commanded by his DAD)!!!! to round him up and bring him physically down to the senate. (There's conflicting law on this. The Sargent at Arms is tasked with bringing Senators to the Senate if necessary, and can recruit the State Police to help. On the other hand, lawmakers are protected under the State Constitution from being arrested while the legislature is in session.)

Mark Miller is my Senator. He lives in my town. He lives 2 blocks away from me!!!!

Holy fawk!! I grabbed my "Thank you Mark Miller" sign (that I'd made up that morning just for the regular protest), hopped in my car and made it over and saw ~5 news reporters and no cops (yet). House looked empty, so I just stood in the driveway with my sign... Next thing I know the news reporters are coming around to shoot video of me.

Trooper+Sargent at Arms showed up, knocked on the door of the (empty) house, got back in their car and left. (I was chanting "This is not what Democracy looks like" the whole time, mainly because sending the state police to "round up" political opponents isn't exactly what I come to expect here in the US) Gave an interview to a couple different reporters about how Miller's sole job is to represent me, and since he's doing what I asked him to do, I think he is doing his job.

Here's the Nightline clip, I show up for ~3 seconds at the end. Skip ahead to 5min in, and excuse the fact that I look completely ridiculous. I wasn't exactly thinking I was going to be on tv that morning...

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/

(first video, "Wisconsin Protests")

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So today the protest was much smaller, probably due to the sh!tty weather (raining and ~33deg). The inside of the capital was still packed with 5,000 to 8,000 supporters, and a couple hundred brave souls walking around outside. Headed over to a separate protest that hasn't been getting much attention, the absolute gutting of Medicaid in this state.

The new bill gives the state DHS (governor's office) absolute control over most of the Medicaid requirements (as opposed to the current situation where the legislature has control)

"Some of the language in the request would allow the DHS to change any Medical Assistance law, for any reason, at any time, and potentially without notice or public hearing"
Then the bill states that after the DHS has control over the Medicaid requirements, it is to petition the US Gov't for a waiver on minimum requirements, and if that is not granted to drop it to the lowest federally mandated minimum (130% of the federal poverty level, or $29,000 for a family of 4). This would effectively kick ~70,000 parents and adults off of Medicaid.

Just another Christian act by our god-fearing governor. I mean, if he was alive Jesus would obvious be kicking 70,000 poor people off of the health care rolls...

edit: Here's a pretty good opinion piece by the (normally) right-wing jsonline.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/116433754.html

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
SHUTTAP, I've made it through 7 years and 6,000 posts without a custom title, and that one would only be applicable for the 3-4 months out of the year that I actually grow a beard. :think:
Ah yes, reverse reverse-psychology.

It will not work on bv, I'm afraid.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Cockmuncher........ :p

Here's the latest from the AP, and why it's SO IMPORTANT that bargaining rights are curtailed:

Fitzgerald said Republicans could not back down now because the governor's two-year budget blueprint, to be released in coming days, slashes spending for public schools and municipal services by $1 billion or more. Local government leaders will need to make cuts without bargaining with employees, he said.
WTF? So far everything has been passed in a certain order so that if we'd known about the NEXT bill, we would never have passed the CURRENT one.

First bill: Tax cuts for corporations (supposedly who create jobs, but far more beneficial to the McDonald's type of jobs than *actual* high-paying jobs)

Second bill: Tax cuts for HSA (health savings accounts). Average taxpayer salary in HSA, $138,000. Half of the contributors withdraw nothing each each year.

Third bill: This bill, stripping collective bargaining rights (amongst a host of other terrible, terrible ideas).

Fourth bill: The next bill, the budget bill that will strip $1b in school and community funding.

I'm just AMAZED that the Senate leader actually admitted what was coming, since that makes it LESS likely to support this, not more. Wississippi, here we come.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Shady......
No sh!t. So far every single bill has been brought forward and passed before the next one is even publicized. That Fitzgerald is even admitting what is coming up in the budget bill is shocking in its candor.

Also, I forgot to mention, there's rumor that as part of the budget bill there's going to be a provision limiting the amount of revenue that municipalities can generate in property-taxes. So not only is he slashing state spending on education, he's ACTUALLY PROHIBITING voters in the different districts from voting to raise that money themselves. He's literally trying to use the state office to force districts to either lay off teachers, gut programs, cut salaries, or all of the above.

I'm so glad I don't have kids right now. I can't imagine the devastating effect that this is going to have on the local school districts. :(

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
As a follow-up, the "divide and conquer" strategy seems to be working. When we took our riot into the local brewpub on Saturday, we talked a little with a Walker supporter. He was there to show his support for the budget plan because he was on a school board and had had contentious negotiations with school teachers in the past... He wanted to see their negotiating rights eliminated.

I wonder how he's going to feel about Walker when the $1 billion in school aid cuts come down.............

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The best legislation money can buy!
:tinfoil:
While there has been significant attention devoted to the fact that Walker's 144-page budget repair bill would strip away collective bargaining rights for public employees, the site "Rortybomb" points out a less noticed provision that would allow the state to sell or contract out any state-owned energy asset in no-bid deals with private corporations. From the legislation (emphasis added):

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).
It's unclear what "the best interest of the state" is.

But if this deal goes through, one of the companies that could stand to benefit significantly is Koch Industries. Koch already has several companies in the state, including a coal subsidiary, timber plants and a large network of pipelines.

During the 2010 election cycle, Walker received $43,000 from the Koch Industries PAC, his second-largest contribution. The PAC also gave significantly to the Republican Governors Association, which in turn helped out Walker considerably in his race. Koch also contributed $6,500 to support 16 Republican legislative candidates in the state.

The Koch-funded group Americans for Prosperity has also been standing with Walker throughout his budget battles, busing in Tea Party activists and launching the site, Stand With Walker. After the election, Walker and other Republican governors received guidance from the American Legislative Exchange Council, a group that is also funded by Koch dollars and has pushed anti-union measures.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/scott-walker-wisconsin-budget-protests_n_826021.html#113_littlenoticed-provision-in-walkers-bill-could-reap-huge-gains-for-koch-industries

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The most important part of politicking is creating a consensus.

We like to criticize the bad bills like the Assault Weapons Ban or the Health Care bill for too many compromises, but at least they got passed.

Walker is insistent that his bill is going to be accepted without modification, but the thousands of local protesters, the Democrat senators taking a walk, and the intense national scrutiny makes that extremely difficult.

California learned this lesson with Schwarzenegger, who put some anti-union propositions on the ballot, and ended up losing almost all of them. What ended up happening was his eventual decline.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Was at the protests for a couple hours today, and whereas yesterday the turnout seemed depressed by the weather (rain, hail, snow, etc), today they were easily back to the numbers from mid-last week. There's a sheet of ice on everything, the wind was howling, and it's currently 25deg (realfeel of 4), but there were probably 15-20k+? More maybe? Part of it was that it's a state furlough day (something agreed on to help out with the budgets by the previous governor), but part of the rest of it was that there was just an overwhelming number of people, union members, retired, kids, etc. One guy I was talking to had driven up from Chicago to stay with a friend of his, another one said his parents were out visiting and while he couldn't make it tomorrow, he was sending his parents instead.

Ian's pizza was still handing out free slices (I had a slice ordered from someone in Texas), and other companies were out there handing out free food as well. Inside the capital was packed to the point that there was a line out the doors (capacity ~8,000 people), and I was simply amazed at the amount of people just marching around the square in some pretty crappy weather.

Tonight we're getting some musicians to show up, and it's said that Jesse Jackson will be back tomorrow. Also, the Senate leader has stated that they won't vote on portions of the bill without the Democrats present, which is actually a HUGE win for the Democrats. The rumor going around today was that the Republicans were going to vote on the non-financial aspects of the bill (like collective bargaining) since they don't need the 20 senators present for that... It's a small victory, but the fact that it's the first instance of the GOP *not* cramming this down our throats is a positive sign.

Oh, and in the more sobering moments today, I saw (no camera, crappy weather) a group of people walking towards us holding signs that said "this is not the Democracy we fought for".

They were Hmong, which has a pretty big ethnic presence here. Very, very sobering moment when you think about them *actually* fighting for Democracy.