Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My only hope is that win or lose, people see this as a MASSIVE overreach. Even the right's darling Chris Christie isn't backing Walker 100%, saying he supports "intelligent bargaining" or something to the effect. The GOP assembly pulled a fast one only allowing ~2sec for the final vote, meaning less than half of the Democrats were actually able to get a vote in in that time. The more and more these political tricks come out, the worse it's going to look for the Republicans.
Christie is a much better politician.

He traveled the state extensively, argued (and shut down) several teachers, and has made a reasonable request for a 1% increase, which was refused.

When he makes cutbacks again, the teacher unions look like pompous fools and will not receive a lot of public support.

Scott Walker, gets into office and 4 weeks later decides to drop a bomb and act like, "I'm the next Reagan".

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
http://www.wiseye.org/Programming/VideoArchive/EventDetail.aspx?evhdid=3784

Part 7 of 7.

Jump to 9:58 in:

The speaker leaves the vote open for a whole 17sec, most of which the Democrats were protesting.

The Republicans jump on it (I've never seen fat middle-aged white guys move so fast), and then proceed to walk out to chants of "SHAME, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME."

Fvcking hell. Any way to save this (or just this portion)?

Oh, and the Democrats knew something was up because the GOP had called everyone in ~5min earlier, and all the news cameras came in as well.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Christie is a much better politician.

He traveled the state extensively, argued (and shut down) several teachers, and has made a reasonable request for a 1% increase, which was refused.

When he makes cutbacks again, the teacher unions look like pompous fools and will not receive a lot of public support.

Scott Walker, gets into office and 4 weeks later decides to drop a bomb and act like, "I'm the next Reagan".
Yup. Ever since last Friday the Dems basically have agreed to any and all fiscal parts of the bill. It's put the onus on Walker to try to explain *why* he won't accept that, which he has a pretty hard time doing. Meet the Press should be interesting this Sunday (he's on).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yup. Ever since last Friday the Dems basically have agreed to any and all fiscal parts of the bill. It's put the onus on Walker to try to explain *why* he won't accept that, which he has a pretty hard time doing. Meet the Press should be interesting this Sunday (he's on).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Pics from 2/24. Again, just mainly shot interesting signs/people since overall crowd shots are getting pretty boring.

One exception: Crowd was smaller than usual, but it really does ebb and flow. People come to protest on their lunch hours or after work, so crowds are biggest at noon and between 5pm - 8pm. This was a "small" crowd since you can see the floor on the 1st floor (not ground floor). Often that's filled up to the pillars.

90-year-old rabble rouser. Look out, she's got a wheelchair!!

In response to the claims that everyone here is either out of state or union members:

(Note the UW sweatshirt *and* the badger hat.)

(Walker was claiming that "almost all" were from out of state, and that was proven FALSE.

And of course, there are the signs:

(Attributed to Ben Franklin, but that is probably not the case)

We're starting to see some Medicaid / Badgercare signs up around the capitol, noting that it's not *just* about union rights.

edit:

Heavy police presence, especially in front of the doors to the Assembly (where the legislatures were debating the bill for 60+ hours). They called in an extra ~600 cops from around the state, and most of them are just sort of standing around looking bored. My favorite questions for them are "You having fun? You getting some good overtime out of this? Well, we'll try to keep it going as long as possible for you then..." :)

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This mess has nothing to do with teachers in WI. Nobody cares about that obese ****hole of a state.
Walkers goal is to turn the national tide against unions, weaken their base and irreversibly damage their ability to fund Democratic candidates in the future. He's simply using the 'financial crisis' as a spark to make this change and other R gov's will follow suit.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Well, yes. This bill is also so packed with cronyism that it's absolutely disgusting. It's still fascinating to watch as it unfolds, and hopefully our dear leader will make as big of an ass of himself on Meet The Press as he did with his little "Koch" brothers phone call this week.

Also, we can now add Rick Perry (Republican gov of Texas, head of RGA) to the list of GOPs that are backing away from Walker as fast as their fat stubby legs can carry them.

BTW, don't take the -rep the wrong way, but I LIVE IN THIS OBESE ****HOLE OF A STATE! :)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yes, you can get fresh lard here. Yes, it does make the food taste delicious. No, my wife does not allow me to buy it. :(
Just one second of off topic to picture bacon deep fried in lard....

And those cheese things that squeek when you eat them fried in bacon flavored lard...

Sorry.

You were saying about health care, what??

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So news is saying 70,000 showed up again to protest (snow, 15deg temps), but to me it was 50-100% bigger than last Sat. It was PACKED.

Counted AT LEAST 6 Walker supporters. Might have gone as high as 10 throughout the day. Maybe they don't like the cold and the snow?

No pics, didn't bring my camera. Quick read of the news stories keeps claiming this is a "pro-union vs anti-union" thing. Grrrrrrrrrr.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, yes. This bill is also so packed with cronyism that it's absolutely disgusting. It's still fascinating to watch as it unfolds, and hopefully our dear leader will make as big of an ass of himself on Meet The Press as he did with his little "Koch" brothers phone call this week.

Also, we can now add Rick Perry (Republican gov of Texas, head of RGA) to the list of GOPs that are backing away from Walker as fast as their fat stubby legs can carry them.

BTW, don't take the -rep the wrong way, but I LIVE IN THIS OBESE ****HOLE OF A STATE! :)
BTW, there is a possibility the Budget Repair Bill will pass. And either wya, there is also a possibility that massive layoffs will shortly ensue.

Does this mean Walker wins? Absolutely not. He has guaranteed opposition at every vote, an angry protest at every public appearance, and no support at the national level.

He is a real idiot.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
http://qik.com/Brandzel

(edit, updated live feed)

Live feed from inside the capitol right now. Tried to get in today (showed up at 1:30) before they "closed" the capitol at 4, and couldn't get in. They had a 2-out, 1-in policy as they were trying to keep as many protesters out as possible. Have some pictures that I'll throw up later. Protested around outside for awhile, and after 4pm they closed the doors with little information coming out. They had said that they were going to clean out all of the protesters to "clean" the building, but it was assumed that they were trying to tamp down the protests and basically strip people of their ability to congregate in a central place to protest.

However, currently there's several hundred protesters who are still inside the capitol, and word has just come out that the police are NOT going to forcibly remove anyone, and that they're actually going to bring food in for the protesters. Rumor has it that the chief of police made the decision without consulting the governor... :)

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
http://qik.com/Brandzel

(edit, updated live feed)

Live feed from inside the capitol right now. Tried to get in today (showed up at 1:30) before they "closed" the capitol at 4, and couldn't get in. They had a 2-out, 1-in policy as they were trying to keep as many protesters out as possible. Have some pictures that I'll throw up later. Protested around outside for awhile, and after 4pm they closed the doors with little information coming out. They had said that they were going to clean out all of the protesters to "clean" the building, but it was assumed that they were trying to tamp down the protests and basically strip people of their ability to congregate in a central place to protest.

However, currently there's several hundred protesters who are still inside the capitol, and word has just come out that the police are NOT going to forcibly remove anyone, and that they're actually going to bring food in for the protesters. Rumor has it that the chief of police made the decision without consulting the governor... :)
Whatev. You still need to make my sign. :)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hey Dante, been spending some time on /b/ have you?
It has come to our attention that the brothers, David and Charles Koch--the billionaire owners of Koch Industries--have long attempted to usurp American Democracy. Their actions to undermine the legitimate political process in Wisconsin are the final straw. Starting today we fight back.

Koch Industries, and oligarchs like them, have most recently started to manipulate the political agenda in Wisconsin. Governor Walker's union-busting budget plan contains a clause that went nearly un-noticed. This clause would allow the sale of publicly owned utility plants in Wisconsin to private parties (specifically, Koch Industries) at any price, no matter how low, without a public bidding process. The Koch's have helped to fuel the unrest in Wisconsin and the drive behind the bill to eliminate the collective bargaining power of unions in a bid to gain a monopoly over the state's power supplies.

The Koch brothers have made a science of fabricating 'grassroots' organizations and advertising campaigns to support them in an attempt to sway voters based on their falsehoods. Americans for Prosperity, Club for Growth and Citizens United are just a few of these organizations. In a world where corporate money has become the lifeblood of political influence, the labor unions are one of the few ways citizens have to fight against corporate greed. Anonymous cannot ignore the plight of the citizen-workers of Wisconsin, or the opportunity to fight for the people in America's broken political system. For these reasons, we feel that the Koch brothers threaten the United States democratic system and, by extension, all freedom-loving individuals everywhere. As such, we have no choice but to spread the word of the Koch brothers' political manipulation, their single-minded intent and the insidious truth of their actions in Wisconsin, for all to witness.

Anonymous hears the voice of the downtrodden American people, whose rights and liberties are being systematically removed one by one, even when their own government refuses to listen or worse - is complicit in these attacks. We are actively seeking vulnerabilities, but in the mean time we are calling for all supporters of true Democracy, and Freedom of The People, to boycott all Koch Industries' paper products. We welcome unions across the globe to join us in this boycott to show that you will not allow big business to dictate your freedom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/anonymous-koch-americans-for-prosperity_n_829056.html

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Protest pics from yesterday.

Crowds outside the doors chanting "LET US IN!"

Cops in front of all of the doors (and they only had 2 entrances open).

Apparently now they're not letting *anyone* else in. They governor has to announce his budget to a joint session of the legislature tomorrow, and he doesn't want any of those pesky protesters around stealing his spotlight...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Finally had a chance to look at this bill last night.

1) While I am not a fan of Unions, this bill has far less to do with the unions than one would think. The polarization of voters on a pro- neg-Union position is what's driving this.

2) The selling of State assest, without an open bidding process? Yeah, that's bs.

There were a few other gems buried in this bill are are downright despicable, even for me. This needs to be broken out to JUST the union part and then the remaining parts. As passing it for one reason, while hiding the other is a scam.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Fox News exclusive!! Violence at the WI protests. Pushing, shoving, cops on horseback trying to break it up, palm trees, yelling, screaming, lack of snow, cursing, short sleeve shirts, more yelling.....

Wait a minute. Palm trees?? :think:

[youtube]RClJ6vK9x_4[/youtube]

WTF happened to the youtube tags?

Here's the video:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I owe you an apology Dante.
After reviewing that shocking video, the citizens of Wisconsin aren't as obese as I'd suggested. Those scenes full of angry people reminded me of the Great Cheese Curd Drought of the '70s.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Ed Show edited Walker's most recent speech, because he kept saying "give the tools" to "local government". I'll post a link to the clip when it is available.

Walker is a tool.

The Link to The Ed Show Clip

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So the latest is that the capitol building is still off-limits to protesters, there's a judicial hearing on that that will *hopefully* force the capitol to open to protesters, and the governor just dropped a budget bill on us that cuts $800m+ in education funding this year.

Oh, and the childish games the Republican senate is playing continue:

- Missing senators fined $100/day
- Copy/fax privileges for staff revoked
- Lose their parking spaces
- Will be charged for any costs that the cops incur trying to find them
- Will be held in contempt if they're not back by 4pm today

The last one is interesting, since the County DA basically said that he/she doesn't see any laws being broken. It's just hilarious that on the one hand the GOP is pretending to negotiate, and on the other they're acting like middle-school girls who don't get their way. I mean, the GOP must be getting desperate since even the WSJ has come out and stated that 60%+ of the American people oppose efforts to strip public unions of collective bargaining, and 70% feel that public unions should have the same rights as private unions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704728004576176741120691736.html

Basically the Democrats have time on their side, since Walker needs to get this done, and get it done FAST. Public opinion is against him, and he's up against some pretty serious deadlines with regards to refinancing debt (that will end up costing an additional $42m in interest payments). To me, it's almost as if GOP are doing themselves a disfavor by playing these stupid little games. But I don't know whether that's just because I'm only seeing this from one point of view?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If this was truly about the budget, he would have been done with the teachers union agreeing to financial cuts. I don't think it is necessarily about busting the union either. There are a lot of hidden items in this bill that will cause some pretty serious headaches if they have some light shown onto them.
While I am not a fan of Unions (as we all know), this one needs to be broken out into multiple bills for each topic of discussion.