Quantcast

I wonder if this guy is worried about his head angle.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeh, where is that hit? I know he got a lot of crap at the U.S. open! They wouldn't even
let him ride the mountain. After he emailed, called before making the trip.
Said "he would be a danger to himself and others" Really is mountain biking dangerous?
I think it's a crazy bike but, out of the box is where this sport started. This guy can
shred as well as any on a "regular" bike.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Headangle looks 63,5 ish. He should get a balls out insurance, soner or later he will hit that toptube and become improductive.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's feckin crazy. I probably wouldn't even be hitting that jump on a normal DH bike. Friggin nut.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeh, where is that hit? I know he got a lot of crap at the U.S. open! They wouldn't even let him ride the mountain.
he did ride the course a few times. Sicklines.com got a few pics of him hittin the course.
he said it was more challenging to ride his bike instead of a real bike

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Damn I remember him riding by in the parking lot talking about his rig after Diablo banned him on it from riding anymore. Pretty sick lol that jump would make most people question it on a normal bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i saw him ride it down the us open course a few times in practice. my first reaction was that i couldn't believe they let him on the mountain with that bike; sooo sketchy looking. when he went over the drop after the middle road section i had to look away. somehow he rode it out but i'm not sure how.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What the heck. Man, Mike Mooney is just nuts. What is really scary is that in person, he's a perfectly quiet guy who seems absolutely sane. Last time I saw him back in the winter, he had a bike like that in Bent Creek and the fork was an old black and silver billet Manitou welded to a second set of crowns from an upside down Bomber single crown.

He's done so much crazy stuff around here. First time I met him on the bike, he was in a white t and black spandex cycling shorts with his arse hanging out. He won the pro DH that day. Something like 1995-96?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeh, by the way everyone makes the new glory sound the 2 bikes have the same geometry specs....

Mooney told me that the diablo guy told him he could ride a normal bike and Mooney said "hell, I would kill myself on a normal bike I've been on tall bikes for the past 8-10 years.
I just think he's doin what he thinks is fun and thinking out of the box always impresses me especially when it makes everyone think your insane.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mooney is awesome.

We have this annual night downhill race at night during early February in NC and last year Mooney took off out of the gate like a pinner. It was crazy to watch. I think he was one second back of my time and I was on a regular bike!

Total BS that Diablo wouldn't let him ride. I guarantee you he would have qualified for AM and actually I think he would have done very well. He's even ridden that thing at Windrock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
He once came into the bike shop to replace a pair of Shimano clipless shoes that had the sole ripped out with the cleat and sole still attached to his bike. He was riding Wayehuta and was going to double a monster set. He jumped so high, a tree limb caught him in the chest and the bike, his soles and cleat kept going.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
He got a few runs in at the Open before he was shown the door. He hit the wall rides on Alpine on that thing like a champ. I nearly threw my bike off the gondola and went home forever.

Hooray for fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Total BS that Diablo wouldn't let him ride. I guarantee you he would have qualified for AM and actually I think he would have done very well. He's even ridden that thing at Windrock.
Idk, Diablo was just following their CYA clause. I don't doubt that this guy knows what he's doing (and I think its cool in fact, def crazy tho). But Diablo is in NJ. Some chucker grom is bound to get an idea, want one, take home a picture this guy's contraption to dear old 12 pack of the silver bullet a night dad. Joe 12 pack is bound to think "heh a bike. this'll be easy" crack open the first beer of the day, go dumpster dive a few bikes, then break out the tig welder. Before you know it lil' Jonny has himself the new hipster trend - the tall bike - but for DH! He's so excited to head to Diablo to test out his new death tra... er, I mean sweet rig. 15' into greenhorn as he's JRA, the frame cracks and lil' Johhny gets himself a brand new broken spine, and a wheelchair to ride the rest of his life. This being NJ, his dad, now known as Joe 30-rack due to the grief of his sons condition, sues everyone he can, in the hopes that somehow litigation will cover up his own ineptitude, and buy himself a permanent ticket on the Silver Bullet in the process.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Idk, Diablo was just following their CYA clause. I don't doubt that this guy knows what he's doing (and I think its cool in fact, def crazy tho). But Diablo is in NJ. Some chucker grom is bound to get an idea, want one, take home a picture this guy's contraption to dear old 12 pack of the silver bullet a night dad. Joe 12 pack is bound to think "heh a bike. this'll be easy" crack open the first beer of the day, go dumpster dive a few bikes, then break out the tig welder. Before you know it lil' Jonny has himself the new hipster trend - the tall bike - but for DH! He's so excited to head to Diablo to test out his new death tra... er, I mean sweet rig. 15' into greenhorn as he's JRA, the frame cracks and lil' Johhny gets himself a brand new broken spine, and a wheelchair to ride the rest of his life. This being NJ, his dad, now known as Joe 30-rack due to the grief of his sons condition, sues everyone he can, in the hopes that somehow litigation will cover up his own ineptitude, and buy himself a permanent ticket on the Silver Bullet in the process.
Sort of like the story about some guys who took some beach cruisers and modded them up to do this crazy thing called DH.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sort of like the story about some guys who took some beach cruisers and modded them up to do this crazy thing called DH.
Dude I've got nothing against this guy or what he's doing. Point I'm trying to make is that Diablo was within their rights as a business to deny him access. Does it suck? Yes, but that's business.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Exactly. Who gives a **** if that's what he wants to do good luck to him. He's not hurting anyone and if the 'kids' are being influenced by him maybe we should stop making video games and movies were people get blown to bits by their latest hero.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Dude I've got nothing against this guy or what he's doing. Point I'm trying to make is that Diablo was within their rights as a business to deny him access. Does it suck? Yes, but that's business.
Be that as it may, he still rules. I was there the day he got kicked off Diablo and I tried to support him as best I could. Him getting kicked off was fear of something different. You could see it in Diablo's words and composure.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Looking at their race numbers from their series, I would think they would want every entry fee that they could grab.:think:

Nah, in all seriousnees, when I first saw Mooney on this bike, I had not seen him in YEARS since he quit racing. I thought he just built something silly to goof around on in the pits or around town. Then he blasts through this rock line at a local race that was giving most people fits.
Then after talking to him about it, you can see that he really enjoys riding that joker, and he is only doing it for that reason alone. He is simply not the kind of guy to do things for attention, and its great to see how much he enjoys riding that horse on wheels.
Its still sketch as balls though.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Be that as it may, he still rules. I was there the day he got kicked off Diablo and I tried to support him as best I could. Him getting kicked off was fear of something different. You could see it in Diablo's words and composure.
Yea he sounds like he's a good guy. I agree its pretty bunk they booted him, especially since he contacted them in advance to make sure everything was honkey dorey.

Unfortunately, we live in America™, Land of the Litigious, and home of the Lawyer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
So, what's his rational for building and riding such a bike? Besides the pure crazyness of it? Does he think it's faster? Or is he just doing it to be weird.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So, what's his rational for building and riding such a bike? Besides the pure crazyness of it? Does he think it's faster? Or is he just doing it to be weird.
You are asking for the "rationale" of a guy who has cobbled together a monstrosity of a bike and takes it off 30 foot jumps.:D
Like I said earlier, he is not doing this for any reason other than HE enjoys riding such a bike. I am assuming it is for the thrill factor alone.
He could care less about racing or being faster.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
When I saw him at the Open I wasn't thrilled to be on the course with him. However, when I saw him ride it, he was fine by me being on the course.

there were over a hundred other people I would have booted off the course before him such as the d-bags that stop in the middle of the course or the ones that decided to pull into the course without looking uphill to see if anyone is coming.

Not sure what Shawn and companies deal was with it. I felt bad for the guy when I saw it going down right in front of us. I only caught part of the conversation but I heard: "so we are not going to have anymore problems, right?" Don't know what when on before that.

So they better start enforcing all other safety stuff like functioning brakes including even having a front brake. How about checking spoke tension and bar plugs.