Quantcast

I9 hub binding

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hey guys, just seeing if anyone else has this problem or has figured out a remedy.

I have an I9 rear hub (135x10mm thru axle on a demo) and if I tighten down the rear thru axle more than snug, the freehub body begins to bind and I get chain suck. I thought that the hub just needed to be broken in a little so I have been running it with the axle just barely snug for awhile now, but now three months into this hub I still have the same problem. On the same bike, I could snug down the specialized hub until I was blue in the face and never got this problem. I have heard of this being an issue with some DT hubs but havent heard about it with the industry 9s. Anyone else experience this and have a solution other than keeping the axle just barely snug (which I know is probably totally safe but isnt very confidence inspiring).

Thanks for the help.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
make sure the axle spacers are in there or it will bind.... I dropped mine off and didnt pay attention till I realised the wheel wiggling all over , tightened it and same thing bind and chainsuck... Its a round cylinder with notches that fits into the drive side to keep the drop outs off the freehub body/cassette... Just a thought thats the onyly issues Ive had with these...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I've had the same issue and contacted I9. There is a simple adjustment to take care of the binding. The disc side hub "spacer" is threaded and can be wound out or wound in to adjust the compression force on the bearings. Undo the tiny grub screw, turn the spacer left 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, tighten the grub screw and this should fix your issue. May take some trial and error to get the right balance of force on your bearings with your thru axle.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
thanks bullcrew. but its in there. I am thinking that its maybe just the hub because a friend of mine has the same problem on his Glory with a 150mm hub. And its not really a problem, its more just cant really torque down on the axle.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I've had the same issue and contacted I9. There is a simple adjustment to take care of the binding. The disc side hub "spacer" is threaded and can be wound out or wound in to adjust the compression force on the bearings. Undo the tiny grub screw, turn the spacer left 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, tighten the grub screw and this should fix your issue. May take some trial and error to get the right balance of force on your bearings with your thru axle.
Just so I am clear... if I have binding, then I need to turn the dustcap counterclockwise (1/4 turnish) to back it OFF the bearings? Essentially, the axle loads the system and the dustcap acts like a preload to take out lateral play. I have too much preload and so when I tighten the axle, it compresses the bearings too much...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Just so I am clear... if I have binding, then I need to turn the dustcap counterclockwise (1/4 turnish) to back it OFF the bearings? Essentially, the axle loads the system and the dustcap acts like a preload to take out lateral play. I have too much preload and so when I tighten the axle, it compresses the bearings too much...
Yes, yes, and yes. Back off the dust cap from the bearings so that when you tighten everything with the thru axle they will be snug but not binding.

It seems like a very delicate setup, but my I9s are still going strong after two seasons....

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Make sure that when you are adjusting the axle preload cap that the wheel is actually in the frame and tightened down. THEN adjust the preload. Because when the wheel is out of the frame, the axle can move side to side in the hub, possibly causing your binding issues when you install it in your frame. If you put the wheel in the frame and tighten it down and you can't move the preload adjuster at all then you need to loosen the wheel and back out the adjuster a turn or two then start over. That should mend your issues...

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
This happened to 2 friends of mine.Turned out the little grub screw to hold the preload collar in place fell out.Also,if you still experience a little chain suck while coasting,take half the pawls out of the hub.Everyone i've ever known with I9 hubs did this.