Quantcast

I9 roadie stuff

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
anyone got a look at the I9 product catalog? their light road wheels look insane...

1140gr...

Zipp 303 tubular rim
bladed spokes
ceramic bearings

1140 freakin' grams.

i bet those bitches will be $$$$$$.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I understand that wheels like that aren't for training, right? They're for racing, yeah?

But it would be nice if there was some sort of durability rating. I mean, if they happen to be super strong and durable, people like me might consider them. As it stands, anything much less than 2000gr and I'm thinking I'd break them within a month.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't understand the need for super light road wheels, at least compared with overall bike weight, it is not like you are constantly accelerating and decelerating like in MTB.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't understand the need for super light road wheels, at least compared with overall bike weight, it is not like you are constantly accelerating and decelerating like in MTB.
Well, people are dumb and it's easy marketing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Race paces even on flat races vary a bit. You could be cruising at 23mph, drop to 18mph on a turn, then hammer to 30+ out of the corner.

Throw in a hill in a .75 mile circuit and you have plenty of speed changes.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you

we have a crit around here that is a 8 corner crit. accelrating out of every turn for an hour i would assume it would make a difference. that being said i am about done with those kinda wheels. i have had problems with my Zipps over and over again. i have come to the conculsion that piece of mind that my wheels won't implode is worth more than the weight

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
those are priced with a VERY expensive carbon tubular rim ($415-450usd each), so that's about right on as far as pricing goes. when you've got $900 retail in the rims alone (granted, at 285g each), you're looking at a very pricey wheelset. Tossing on something like a mavic open pro or dt swiss r1.1 you'd end up at a reasonable $8-900 retail (subtracting retail of rims and adding dt/mavic retails) while having a pretty bombproof and stiff 1410g wheel.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Actually you are, you have the cases people pointed out then you have the case of climbing, were even though you speed looks constant you have micro accelerations happening on every pedal stroke, it doesn't sound like much, but up a big climb in a race it adds up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
That is pretty damn cheap for that weigth and strength. Swap on some Reynolds rims (which you could) and you have one hell of a wheelset.
we're having issues at the shop selling Reynolds wheels right now. i don't know if they have a bad rap compared to Fulcrum and Mavic, or what, but they aren't moving at all.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
we're having issues at the shop selling Reynolds wheels right now. i don't know if they have a bad rap compared to Fulcrum and Mavic, or what, but they aren't moving at all.
Your clientelle are fools I say! The Reynolds stuff is what the bigtime riders use when the stickers come off. The only relatively strong deepsection carbon stuff out there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Actually you are, you have the cases people pointed out then you have the case of climbing, were even though you speed looks constant you have micro accelerations happening on every pedal stroke, it doesn't sound like much, but up a big climb in a race it adds up.

Considering the laws of conservation of energy the additional inertia due to rotational weight doesn't have the same penalty on climbs as overall weight. The additional rotational inertia won't allow you to accelerate as much but you will decelerate slower basically giving you the same average speed.

But if you really want to geek out about it two bikes of the same weight but one with more rotating mass will be quicker on a steady climb considering a similar surging power output. The lighter wheelset will allow you accelerate more giving you higher momentary speeds. Since friction due to air resistance increases at a rate of the speed squared the frictional losses due to air resistance would actually be higher than if the micro accelerations netted a slower speed.

A road course consisting of a loop where your starting and stopping speeds are the same, given the same human like surging power output a bike of similar weight with higher wheel inertia would net a faster time, of course assuming the brakes are never used. The big penalty when it comes to wheel weight is when you have to waste earned energy by hitting the brakes.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh ****, you hail from Armstrong Ville? I'm sorry!

Norhtampton is 'cross town USA. People only buy Reynolds stuff here, even if they get other deepesection carbon wheels for free.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
from what i hear at the shop regarding Reynolds rims, spokes pull through. i have yet to see us sell a pair of Reynolds. sell at least one pair of Zipps every 2 weeks or so.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Considering the laws of conservation of energy the additional inertia due to rotational weight doesn't have the same penalty on climbs as overall weight. The additional rotational inertia won't allow you to accelerate as much but you will decelerate slower basically giving you the same average speed.

But if you really want to geek out about it two bikes of the same weight but one with more rotating mass will be quicker on a steady climb considering a similar surging power output. The lighter wheelset will allow you accelerate more giving you higher momentary speeds. Since friction due to air resistance increases at a rate of the speed squared the frictional losses due to air resistance would actually be higher than if the micro accelerations netted a slower speed.

A road course consisting of a loop where your starting and stopping speeds are the same, given the same human like surging power output a bike of similar weight with higher wheel inertia would net a faster time, of course assuming the brakes are never used. The big penalty when it comes to wheel weight is when you have to waste earned energy by hitting the brakes.

That seems true but I have a feeling the lighter wheels (if everything else is held constant) would result in better times. I am pretty sure that you are constantly accelerating the wheels as you ride. There are other things to consider such as compliance, flex...etc, but because you are constantly accelerating the wheel around the axle (and forward) I think you would get a better time with the lighter wheel. Interesting point about the heavier wheel keeping you accelerating longer, however I am curious to see much effect the rotational inertia of a very light rim vs. an ultra light rim has on a 200 +/- pound bike and rider combination.