Quantcast

Ibis Hakkalugi

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van

And there it is. Ultegra shifters and front derailleur, DA rear derailleur, DA wheels and Hutchinson tubeless Piranha's, FSA SLK canti's, FSA K Force Light carbon crank with 36X46 cross rings, Bonty stem 10cm, FSA compact aluminum bar, 42 wide, XTR pedals, Flight gel chair, the seat post is a shop loaner Bonty until the PRO shows up.

It rides really nice, steering is a bit slower than the previous bike but it's great in twisty trails anyway. I just did a quick hour or so in the Riverside trails at Whistler. Those are twisty up and down walking type trails intended for multi use but they are pretty damn buffed so it isn't too hard to ride on a cross bike. Fist race on this bike this coming weekend, two races, one saturday and another Sunday

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yeah tubulars would be better preformers, but I really don't want to deal with glue or tape. Tubeless rocks. I've been running it for a couple months now. I can run really low psi. Today knowing I was doing a fast rocky trail to get where I wanted to I pumped them up to 40 front 45 rear. Harsh ride but like I said 30 kph down an old rocky road with many broken sharp edged cobbles. But I let some air out on the "nice" trails and it was great. I bottomed a whole bunch of times hard enough to pinch even a tubular. When I got home I stuck the pump on and it was at 25psi front and rear.

Tubeless worked really well at Starcrossed and our first BC Cup ay Aldor Acres. I think it's the next best thing to tubulars.

The brakes are FSA SLK canti's. New this year. Worked well today which was the first ride on them. I think the stock pads are probably weak and I'll replace them with some Swissstop greens soon.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Lighter. Clincher wheels will always be heavier than an equivalent tubular. However, I don't know if one would really want a superlight rim/wheel for cross. Certainly if you have the budget for it, you'd go for as light as you can and still have a wheel that lasts well enough. You don't want to race on a wheel that you could cross Siberia on, nor would you want a pair of $5000 climbing wheels that weigh 1000 grams a pair.

I used tubulars for years in the 80's because clincher's then weren't very good. Now though tubeless tires I think are equivalent to tubulars in terms of being able to run them soft and therefore fast. I can run them at 25-30 psi at my 143 pounds no problem. Plus I can change tires to a dry pattern or wet pattern and not worry about glue having to set up and dry.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I keep wrecking tubular tires at the early dry races. A lot of courses around here tend to be really fast and rough when its dry (they don't use as much grass in their course designs). I'm getting a set of Hutchinson Piranha tires to try out on one of my tubeless wheels.