Quantcast

Ice, ice baby...Norway style!!

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Hi,

A friend did a hike a bike up one of what is a fireroad climb in the summer. Now it's more like a superice-and-slick bobsleigh track.

His Santa Cruz, 450 20mm wooden screws and a fair bit of craziness he shot a short film.

We do what we have to do to get by winter!

Right click, save as... it is 80MB!!

http://www.s-fjeldheim.com/ice.wmv

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Cool vid - that looked way less sketchy than I expected. Must be slippery too if a unimog is having trouble getting up there, those things don't get stopped by much!

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
You can see how slippery it is when he is walking too.
No grip at all, notice that he keeps to the side of the "road" when walking to get some grip from snow. Homemade studds work wonders.

In the local ski-lift they will host a bike-day on the 24th...not that much ice, but those studds work on hardpacked snow as well, but the snow allow for a little more drifting than the ice.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
As long as you "puncture" the snow they will work, if it is anything close to hard snow or ice they don't work. On ice like this video they don't work at all.

Closeup...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
haha that's so friggin awesome. You Norwegians have a good life... skiing, mountain biking, awesome scenery, the highest standard of living in the world, a ridiculously strong exchange rate, and millions of retardedly beautiful women. And riding bikes in the snow... it doesn't get much better.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
haha that's so friggin awesome. You Norwegians have a good life... skiing, mountain biking, awesome scenery, the highest standard of living in the world, a ridiculously strong exchange rate, and millions of retardedly beautiful women. And riding bikes in the snow... it doesn't get much better.
You forgot to mention rain. Norwegians are actually born with the storm suit of sailors on... :clue:

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway

Right now we have a very weak exchange rate, and I wouldn't say millions of beautoful ladies, since we are just about 4 million people in total :-)

But easy access to trails, for free, all over the country is granted to us by law. Although we share all of them with hikers and horses and whatever wildlife is there. Motorized access is not allowed at all though, in the wilderness.

And yes, in general we have a very good life. Riding is very good, and very varied, depending on where you go, where you live. I would say that just about every city or town has its own unique riding.

When someone posts pictures from the skilift winterride on the 24th I will post some too. They got the liftowner to keep the lifts open for 2 hours outside regular openings, just for bikes :-) Oh, and we got 20inches of snow in 24 hours here in Oslo, the capital of Norway yesterday. Complete caos :-) So maybe we do some skiing instead of riding then.

jddunmire

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Bloomfield, NJ, USA
So I am looking to visit Oslo this summer. I would like to get in a ride one day. Any recommendations on location and where I can get a bike? I ride a giant reign x1 now, so something similar would be optimal. Any info would be most welcome! Thanks.