Quantcast

Ideas for 6Pack build

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Yo!

Or rather, Hello :D

I've secured myself a white Turner 6 Pack, one of the first January batch.
I'm looking for ideas of what components to build it with.
I'm 6'2", 220lbs, riding trails with a little bit of Urban hooliganism/freeriding,
plus some XC loops occasionally.
Money has secondary significance only (but the less the better!) :D

I thought about:
Fork: Marz 66 or 05' Z1 or Fox 36
Rims: Arrow FRX or Mavic 729 or Mavic 823 tubeless
Hubs: King or Hadley - Solid rear axle?
Spokes: DT.. which?
Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller or Saint, dual ring
Chainguide: Evil DRS
Rear der., shifters: SRAM X.9
Front der: XT
Brakes: Hope M4 200/180
Seatpost, stem: Thomson
Handlebars: Easton EC70 DH (reliable?)

That's about it.

I'll welcome any input!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Go with EA70 bars. I broke my EC70 on a small tip over. They are fine for racing or trail riding but if you do any drops get the EA70. Go with the Zoke 66. Go with the Kings if you can get some. The Holzfeller and a 22/36 chainring set up is great with a DRS. Order Envy rings too from John Henry. They are the best rings out their with huge ramps and work great in the 22/36 or even 22/38. You will not believe how well they work. Im liking the El Camino brakes. I havent tried them yet but they look awesome. Good luck. You are on the right track..... pun intended.;)

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Thanks Kanter.. Any reason why specifically the 36 and not the 66?
I'd like this bike to be as light as possible.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Reread. Get the ZOKE. I am just partial to Zoke. The Fox would work too. At your weight you cant build the bike too light.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
roee said:
Yo!

Or rather, Hello :D

I've secured myself a white Turner 6 Pack, one of the first January batch.
I'm looking for ideas of what components to build it with.
I'm 6'2", 220lbs, riding trails with a little bit of Urban hooliganism/freeriding,
plus some XC loops occasionally.
Money has secondary significance only (but the less the better!) :D

I thought about:
Fork: Marz 66 or 05' Z1 or Fox 36
Rims: Arrow FRX or Mavic 729 or Mavic 823 tubeless
Hubs: King or Hadley - Solid rear axle?
Spokes: DT.. which?
Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller or Saint, dual ring
Handlebars: Easton EC70 DH (reliable?)

That's about it.

I'll welcome any input!

Interesting fork choice, I'd think the Z1 (150mm) would be a better choice than the 66, the 05 Z1 has the 888 style dampers, and is about 5.7lbs. I already have a 150mm Marz All Mtn1 and it feels like a dang DH fork is bolted to the front of my bike when I have it in 150mm mode. It's very supple endless travel. It wouldn't be the right fork for your use, but the feel of it is similer, and on a 6/6 bike it feels like more than 6. The fox 36 sounds good, but if you want to save some $$$ I'd say go with the Z1. The 66 seems like the kind of fork you're going to put on a 7+" bike, and it's going to raise the front end as much as an 8" travel fork would.

Can't go wrong with CK hubs, but there's other good choices out there.

Spokes, DT alpine III on drive side of rear, super comp on disc side, then competitions up front :D Gives you the strength where you need it, supercomps on both sides in the rear would work well too.

Holzfellers are great cranks.

I don't know if you need 205/180 on the brakes, 180 up front would probably be plenty for this bike. Even if we were talking about an RFX I don't know if you'd really need 205 up front. The thing is that it seems like a small gain in performance, for a small gain in weight. A lot of small gains in weight add up to a lot fairly quickly.

Time Zs or CB Mallets!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You are talking about the 6" 66 right? A 7" one would be a bit too much.

I'd probably pick the Z1. Reliability combined with great adjustment. If XC is really part of your plans the ETA and TST (5 to 6" adjustment) will come in handy

Mavic 721's

XT cranks. Outboard bearings and stiffness with less weight than Saints. Should be plenty burly. Hone cranks could work too.

King hubs rock, if they could only make quieter hub though.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Im going with the Fox 36 up front ,Xt build kit no idea on wheels ,minions,ea70 bars with the vice stem,same brakes as you,Evil srs guide,wtb stealth ti seat, thomson post,should be fun.By the way do you know if they will offer the frame in blue sometime in the future?

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
GiantRider said:
Im going with the Fox 36 up front ,Xt build kit no idea on wheels ,minions,ea70 bars with the vice stem,same brakes as you,Evil srs guide,wtb stealth ti seat, thomson post,should be fun.By the way do you know if they will offer the frame in blue sometime in the future?
Nice build :thumb: I think the frame is already offered in several colors
other than the standard white/gray for 150$ upcharge.

Mozo

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
I'd say go with the Fox 36 as it is around 2-2.5 pounds lighter than the marz plus it has TALAS for those XC rides. It is also supposed to be super stiff. You should see if u can get the scandium handlebar from Easton, really nice colour plus it will go well with the frame. It is also quite cheap and is very stiff. Otherwise, awesome component choices and ur one lucky...

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
- Z1 2005 150mm!
Edit: All mountain 1 for lighter/more trailbike style setup.

- King rearhub with Funbolt axle.
- Mavic 721's with DT comp 2.0-1.8-2.0 and brass niples (new 05 823 if you want UST)
- EA 70 bar
- Thomson post/stem
- MM4 180mm front and rear (new fancy MM6 style rotors available now!)
- Raceface Atlas crank?
- The new IFP piggyback Avalanche shock (keep the DHX as a backup for the 3 days a year when the Ava is away for oil/nitro change) Ti spring.

Here you get the ultimate 6 Pack for your weigh/purpose

e

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
I would go with the Fox 36...that fork looks pimp...and is lighter. Can't really go wrong with the CK hubs, just don't get the light axels. EX729 rims rock....laced up as mentioned above.

I would go with Race Face Atlas cranks....very nice and lighter than holzafellers as well +huge on the pimp factor.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Atlas is a go! :D

Now, tubeless or tube? Basically 823 vs. Arrow FRX vs. 729.
Please help me decide :dancing:
How much weight can I save by going tubeless?
I'm not too harsh on wheels, I'm not hucking anything and I was
riding a hardtail for the past year so I've gotten pretty smooth...

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Looks alot like my "new" RFX-build which might turn to 6pack soon :-)

Z1 Fr 2005, with ETA for the XC-routes going uphill(66 is too high and 36 is too expensive)
Hope Bulb hubs on Mavic 721CD's laced with DT Comp ALL black(Mavics are lighter than 729 and ALOT cheaper than 823)
Avid Juicy 7 203/185 - fantastic adjustments, fantastic lever feel, modulation and power.
SDG I-beam and seat
Azonic DW 28" 1.5" riser
"cheap" FSA stem
Raceface Atlas cranks
Evil DRS 24-36

I will also have a Mojo'd Vanilla RC since the DHX won't fit my RFX.

It'll work perfect anyways ;-)

MtbikingKing

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Midcoast, ME
Well i have a PLanet-X Bommer (matte black). I mostly do DJ, Urban since the dh mountain closed down and this is the setup i was thinking bout getting lata (when cash falls from the sky):

Fork: Fox 36 (anyone know the cost and where to buy??)
Wheels: Hope Bulbs w/ titanium freehub laced to (maybe) white halo rims, prolly 32 in front and 36 spoke in back, but dono what kinda spokes ( sound good?)
Drivetrain: prolly i'm gonna upgrade/downgrade to singlespeed cause i broke my last 2 derailleurs in the past 2 weeks and for skatepark/dirt jumping its prolly best. I was thnking bout the surly gears and spacers + surly singlator?? (any other suggestions?)

I'm running right now:
Handlebars: Answer Protaper (gold)
Stem: 7 sette (awesome looking and works great!)
Grips: red lock on oury
Headset: canecreek s2
shock: 02' Psylo Sl (lube leakage?? still works great)
wheels: F219 in front + deore hub (still true from 7ft drops) back: x223 (highly don't recommend it!!!!!!!)
Seatpost: THomson
Seat: Titec Berseker
Drivetrain: 1 dh prodigy/ 1 xc prodigy with bashguard, pc99 chain, sram 9sp cassette, deore derailleur (matches my bike :) )

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mozo said:
I'd say go with the Fox 36 as it is around 2-2.5 pounds lighter than the marz plus it has TALAS for those XC rides. It is also supposed to be super stiff. You should see if u can get the scandium handlebar from Easton, really nice colour plus it will go well with the frame. It is also quite cheap and is very stiff. Otherwise, awesome component choices and ur one lucky...
The fox 36 is only going to be about .7lbs lighter than an 05 Z1 150mm. My All Mtn coil is sub 5lbs.

05 marz forks are not boat anchors anymore.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
I thought about:
Fork: Fox 36, lighter, fox dampning, and i dont like zokes.
Rims: Mavic 729...i have the d321(same rim) and i love it.
Hubs: Hadley--i like them, personal preferance
Spokes: DT alpine III
Crank: Saint Dual ring-i have the single ring, and they are amazingly stiff.
Handlebars: Answer Protaper-strong and light.

Thats what i would do personally.

MtbikingKing

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Midcoast, ME
ummm i'm sorry ........................... the front f219 rim is fine and true but the deore hub................... not good for those drops and jumps. I just went djing today for aobut 8 hrs and i came home and took off the front wheel. I broke the axle of the hub in half. the only thing holding the bearings in is the quike release holding tight the rest of the axle and bolt. DON"T GET DEORE haha :blah: plus i bent my 3rd derailleur tonight

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
I agree with most here, I would not want a 66 for a combo trail/FR bike esp with a 6" rear. The 05 Z1 has some great features that will help with climbing and XC riding. The 66 has none of these features, plus the Z1 has the same internals as the highend 66.
The Fox 36 would be a great fork for a 6 Pack, infact thats the target fork that Dave Turner designed the 6 pack for. Cost being a factor? Then the Z1 or AM1 for sure, and that depends if you want a TA or a QR front wheel.
I think that the new XT cranks will be plenty strong, I recently did a search for cranks and what people use, the XT's came up over and over again. They are XC cranks light and FR crank stiff and strong. XT's are lighter than Atlas cranks, though not the bling factor like the Raceface cranks.
Hubs, King's, Hadley's or Hope? What is the real difference other than price?
Personally, I like having a 203-05mm front rotor, I can feel the difference. Ive been using Mono M4's 205mm ft and a 185 rear. Hopes are nice, but they squeal like pigs when they are hot, Im going to try XT/Saint IS 8" combo's. If I dont like them I will try Avid J-7's.
Sram drive train X9-X0 parts, The rest of the parts all seem sound, with a good compromise between light and strengh.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
This is for JM.Regardless of how big he is there will be greater breaking loads then from pedeling.If he goes with Alpine III's then why not both sides?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DHRracer said:
This is for JM.Regardless of how big he is there will be greater breaking loads then from pedeling.If he goes with Alpine III's then why not both sides?
No, driveside still trumps, even with disc brakes.

No problem going to alpines on both sides, they aren't *that* heavy either.