Quantcast

Ideas for a garage work space

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
We almost have the house built and I’m looking for cabinet/shelving ideas for the garage. If you guys could post some pics of your garage/work/shop area, I would appreciate it. I pretty much know what I want, but you guys may have an idea that I didn’t think of, or just like better then mine own.

We are still about 2 months from moving in, but it’s never too soon to start planning for the garage. Already have the flatscreen and the fridge just waiting.

Cheers,
Brian

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I'm in the process of getting my garage where I want it so no pix yet but there's some good ones on this site:
www.listaintl.com
You can't go wrong setting up your garage with Lista cabinets.
(You didn't say anything about a budget so don't blame sticker shock on me.)

BKQuill said:
We almost have the house built and I’m looking for cabinet/shelving ideas for the garage. If you guys could post some pics of your garage/work/shop area, I would appreciate it. I pretty much know what I want, but you guys may have an idea that I didn’t think of, or just like better then mine own.

We are still about 2 months from moving in, but it’s never too soon to start planning for the garage. Already have the flatscreen and the fridge just waiting.

Cheers,
Brian

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I saw... I think it was Knuckleslammer's garage that had an interesting idea that never would have occured to me.

He had that cardboard that's often found on department store shelving with holes poked in it about every inch. Then you've got L-shaped brackets that fit into the holes. It provides extremely adjustable shelving that will actually hold a lot of bike parts or other oddly shaped objects without resorting to storing them in bins.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well, and I can't find a picture of what I'm talking about... :wonky2:

Jul 2, 2004
Metroracks might be a good option or maybe some rivit shelving for your storage needs. Then just build your own workbench...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
I think biggins is unfamilliar with the effects of a fisheye lens :p
well that curve makes it look like the top/sid/back of a ferrari......and it looks like some valve covers in the back window.

my bad.....:dead:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Once you go Lista, you'll never go back. I've got 4 that I scored from my last place of employment.
One thing that works really well for me is "Scripto" drawers. I think that's the brand???
Anyways, they are 4x6 drawers. Perfect for most smaller bike parts like seatposts and pedal. The larger parts go in rubbermaid bins. All this fits under my main work bench.

Things I wish I had done right the first time:
Good floor instead of living with concrete. Now that everything is in, I'm stuck with it.
Power: I kinda 1/2 assed the electrical.
Air: I've never gotten around to running proper hard air lines.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
justsomeguy said:
I used a combo of cheap wood shelving from IKEA, ELFA shelving, and Hyloft racks for the stuff that is seldom used.

Fridge modification was easy since these guys are just a few miles away.
Looks nice. What did you guys use for flooring? And what about lighting? Those are the only two things I need to complete mine.

Hooj Choons

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Reopened...for now.
yeah..that was my guess.

taken from the other link..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83
Porsche? Which one GT2

justsomeguy: No, it's a Turbo.

GT2's are turbo 477bhp/ 472tq.
GT3's are N/A 380bhp/ 285tq

I beleive it's an S as well unless you got a looks package but the calipers say it all!

The 997 GT3 is going to be one for the history books.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Hooj Choons said:
I beleive it's an S as well unless you got a looks package but the calipers say it all!
No, it's not an S, it's a stock looking Turbo.

An S would look the same but have yellow calipers and ceramic rotors.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
First, let me say thanks guys for the all the great ideas, I really appreciate them.

Second,
biggins said:
yeah that pic is my new desktop.
Mine too! Sure the Porsche is nice, but it's the overall photo that impressed me. The car, the bike on top, the placement of the car, the lighting (and shadowing), everything just came together for a "real" photo. Nice!!