Quantcast

Idiot parents! (rant)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stinkyboy said:
Oh no, we're gonna get sued. Boo freaking hoo. And we lose the park...whatever dude! That's straight BS. According to you, this kid was breaking the law by not wearing a helmet. No suit. Period. I'm all for sticking to the rules of a park, but are you an employee? Your "selfish" interest is overshadowed by your quote: "then i told the kid i was sorry that his dad didn't care about his safety and left." I'm not anti law. I'm anti jerk that needs to mind his business.
Well as a Cop he technically IS an employee and if its CITY land its fine for him to patrol it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
stinkyboy said:
Then why can't they play?!

If this kid was on a Huffy, how big was he going? 10 years old on a junk bike. Let him fall in the dirt a couple times. When he starts doing backflips, he'll know he needs a helmet.
They can't play because some parents are overprotective but don't wear helmets because some parents are under-protective. Believe me, the same thing will happen to a kid riding a Huffy as a kid riding a Stuff when they hit the pavement. This argument should be pretty straight foreword and rely on a lot more than what kind of bike they're riding.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stinkyboy said:
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll let you in on a little secret, I said similar things, but now that I have 2 kids 5 & 2 I protect them with my life.

I have a girlfriend that has a 2 year old. I'm over one day and the kid starts crying and I said what's up, your boy's crying." She says: I don't run every time he crys. I can tell if he's hurt by the sound of the cry, and this way he is forced to deal with things on his own" That may sound cold to some, but I think it's showing wisdom beyond her 25 years.
I too dated girls with kids, it's not the same thing. I'm not saying to stop what your doing every time a child cries, my 2 year old daughter always cries, we let it go unless he's hurt or sick etc. We don't coddle her just because she upset about something. Then again when I was your girlfriends age and dated girls that age with kids and with that type attitude, it's not wisdom............... it's immaturity. Ask her if she'll have her son ride a bike without a helmet.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Brian HCM#1 said:
stinkyboy said:
I too dated girls with kids, it's not the same thing. I'm not saying to stop what your doing every time a child cries, my 2 year old daughter always cries, we let it go unless he's hurt or sick etc. We don't coddle her just because she upset about something. Then again when I was your girlfriends age and dated girls that age with kids and with that type attitude, it's not wisdom............... it's immaturity. Ask her if she'll have her son ride a bike without a helmet.
If I see your kid on the street, it's cool for me to tell her what I think she should be doing?

I will ask her that question.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stinkyboy said:
Brian HCM#1 said:
If I see your kid on the street, it's cool for me to tell her what I think she should be doing?

I will ask her that question.
If I'm being negligent as a parent then yes. So ask you gf if she'll have her child wearing a helmet when he rides a bike (don't bring up this post). I had my son on a 2 wheeler with training wheels before he was 2 and always had him wear a helmet.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
stinkyboy said:
Then why can't they play?!

If this kid was on a Huffy, how big was he going? 10 years old on a junk bike. Let him fall in the dirt a couple times. When he starts doing backflips, he'll know he needs a helmet.
Maybe I'm that bad of a crap rider, but when I was 10, I went OTB and landed on my face. Sh*t happens..

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
DLo said:
Maybe I'm that bad of a crap rider, but when I was 10, I went OTB and landed on my face. Sh*t happens..
me too. I hit my head so many times on the cement.

I don't know of anyone that has gotten brain damage from hitting their head in 25 plus years I've been riding a bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a similar story. Back in the eighties, some guy comes in to my shop and wants a leather hairnet helmet. This was back in the day when road shops commonly carried leather hairnets. I suggested getting a Bell V1-Pro, the only Snell approved helmet at the time. He was insistenent about getting a leather hairnet. I told him a leather hairnet was useless, but he still insisted.

Afterwards, my boss understood I was looking out for our customer's best interest, but told me it wasn't my job to to convince him about safety. Mostly I felt angry and stupid wasting my breath to convince this knucklehead.

Most people will avoid getting involved from fear of rejection. It is easier to say "Not My Problem" then speak up.

You were looking at the big picture as well as this kid's safety. Unfortunately, it is the right of the father to make the decision for his kid, and you are not enough of a jerk to step back and laugh when the kid busts his head open.

It would burn me to give someone a warning and it went ignored. Today, I often say "It is out of my control", because I usually try everything I can do to help people, but there is only so much I can do without infringing on someone else.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
All of you "I don't need a helmet if Im not doing anything RAD" and "I don't know anyone who's gotten hurt" morons need to spend a few days down at the county ER.

Not a week goes by here that my neihbor (an ER nurse) dosen't stop by the house to tell me and my two roomies (both Mt. Bikers) that she just had another cyclist come through the ER. Well over 1/2 of them leave with toe tags. Among the rest, about a 1/3 are permanently disabled in one way or another.

Manimal was doing the right thing as a rider to help keep the park open. He was also doing the right thing as a cop (by the way, there is no such thing as "off-time" for cops) by ensureing that the laws regarding park use and child safety were followed.

The father of that kid was a moron. As is anyone who thinks a 10 year old shouldn't be wearing a helmet regardless of how "big" he was going.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
pnj said:
me too. I hit my head so many times on the cement.

I don't know of anyone that has gotten brain damage from hitting their head in 25 plus years I've been riding a bike.
You have alot of lucky freinds.

Hell, there are many riders who get brain damage WEARING a helmet. It lessens the chance of it though.

Another buddy of mine is in a wheelchair for life. Chris Reeve type spinal injury. His helmet saved him from being a vegetable too.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pnj said:

I do. It was a 14 year old kid that unfortunately chose the wrong time to come flying out of his driveway right in front of me. He was lucky that I was only on a bicycle.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Damn True said:
All of you morons
trying to get people to think like by calling them morons probably isn't the best way to go about it. ;)

reading this thread would make one believe that everytime you fall or even hit your head is going to send you to the ER and leave you with lasting brain damage.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
I don't have kids, but no I would not require them to wear a helmet. Seriously.
I will no longer read any of your posts without a chuckle.

You sir, have flagged yourself.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Wumpus said:
I do. It was a 14 year old kid that unfortunately chose the wrong time to come flying out of his driveway right in front of me. He was lucky that I was only on a bicycle.
details man!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
pnj said:
trying to get people to think like by calling them morons probably isn't the best way to go about it. ;)

reading this thread would make one believe that everytime you fall or even hit your head is going to send you to the ER and leave you with lasting brain damage.
Nope, but there is a chance...

I wish that parents would have enforced helmets when I was a kid. At least one kid in my grammar school died hitting the pavement, and one was brain damaged. It happens.

Those people without kids cannot fathom the worry. If my kid hit her head and was injured, and it was my fault she wasn't protected, I could never forgive myself.

I sometimes think I'd even send her to PE class with a helmet! You just worry. It's your f**king JOB as a parent.

If your kid is on a bike with no helmet, you suck ass as a parent. Simple.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
A few fun facts:

A survey of the Ontario Corner Office from 1985 to 1987 showed that 14 per cent of all childhood trauma deaths were attributable to bicycle accidents, brain and neck injuries topping the list as causes of death and disability. Cyclists often suffer worse head injuries than motorcyclists (who are far likelier to wear protective head gear). As the old adage says, "it's as easy as falling off a bicycle!" It's also easy to don a helmet, but only a fraction - two to five per cent - of children regularly wear bike helmets. Few parents insist that their kids wear helmets and indeed few adults themselves wear one.

Studies in Canada, Australia and the U.S., demonstrate that cycling mishaps are the leading cause of hospital admissions for head injury among school-aged children - and 75-80 per cent of those who perish die because of brain injuries. Many more remain permanently brain-damaged from bike accidents. A Quebec study found that half of all cycling deaths occur in children aged five to 14. And according to a recent report in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, 26 per cent of bicycle accident victims are under age seven, 48 per cent under I 0 years of age. Young children, the group at greatest risk, are the least protected - by knowledge, cycling skills and protective headgear. A large proportion of bicycle accidents occur on neighbourhood streets and about 70 per cent of them happen to boys. According to the B.C. Medical Association, 85 per cent occur within five blocks of home. A recent Ottawa study found that 90 per cent of bike injuries take place within a kilometre of the child's home; of the children admitted to hospital, 49 per cent had head injuries, 40 per cent broken limbs. Over half the accidents were blamed on carelessness, poor cycle control or mechanical failure. Most severe bicycle injuries result from crashes with a motor vehicle, but they can also occur from a simple fall. For example, one 18-year-old youth who was a well-trained cyclist, hit his unhelmeted head when biking with a girlfriend near his parents cottage in Northern Quebec. No motor vehicle was involved. His bike simply hit a small stone on the country road, sending him flying over the handlebars. He had a broken collar bone plus a few cuts and bruises but it was the head in july that killed him. His skull was cracked, the hemorrhage irreparably damaging the brain. After two days in a coma, he died. A bicycle helmet would almost certainly have saved his life. Why don't kids wear them? Helmets aren't considered cool": they need a new, smarter image. Although hockey helmets are almost "de rigeur," an accepted part of the equipment, bike helmets are less popular. One recent study found that although 13 per cent of the children in bike accidents owned a helmet, only two per cent of eight to twelve year olds were wearing one when injured. Why do so few people - especially so few children - wear them'? The main objections to bicycle helmets given by children are: * "No one told me to wear one." * "They're hot, heavy and uncomfortable." * "They don't look good." * "They're wimpy (depict weakness)." * "They're not cool." * "I'm a safe biker." * "I never do stunts." * "I only ride short distances and always on the sidewalk." Children who own helmets are less likely to wear them when biking with friends or going to the store than when out with the family. When asked whether they thought laws should enforce the use of bike helmets, the students surveyed said "yes" and expressed willing compliance: "I'd wear one," "I wouldn't be different because then everyone would have to wear one," "nobody would tease me - in fact we'd laugh at kids without helmets because they'd look foolish." Adults who ride without helmets give reasons similar to younger groups for not wearing one, saying they're "unlikely to crash or hit their heads" or are just on a short shopping trip." Research clearly shows that such ideas are wishful thinking. Even toppling off at slow speed or hitting the sidewalk/ pavement can be very hard on the head. The strong case for helmets

One U.S. study showed that riders who wear helmets reduce their risks of head injury by 85 per cent. A 1987 study of Australian cycling club members found the rate of brain injury among unhelmeted riders in bike accidents was 45 per cent, compared to only six per cent in those who wore helmets.

U.S. studies have shown that unhelmeted riders are about seven times likelier to sustain a serious head injury in an accident, and eight times more likely to suffer permanent brain damage than helmeted bikers.

http://www.helmets.org/skarabor.htm

In 2002 47% of children under age 14 that were hospitalized for bicycle related injuries were diagnosed with traumatic brain injury.

3/4 of bicycle related deaths occur in cyclists under the age of 18 over half of that group from head injuries.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Damn True said:
A few fun facts:

Blah, blah blah, bunch of Canadian pussy crap...
That's in Canada, kids in the USA are invincible.

:thumb: :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Mission accomplished. I'm bored at work. Firing people up some monkeys is so much fun.

:evil:
I'm not fired up in the least.

Give my condolences to the mother of your children, when/if you have any.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Been reading this thread and chuckling.

Manimal... man, you can't win. If you try and help you're an overbearing cop. If you don't help, your shirking your duties as an officer of the law. It doesn't matter much, but I think you did all that you could. :thumb: I would have said the samething to the moron father but I wouldn't have been so nice. If I was lucky enough to have a legal jump park in my community I would fight pretty dang hard to save it. Not to mention trying to save the kid some pain when he hits his head.

As for the ultra rad no helmet hucksters... well, when you have gained a bit more life experience, and understanding you will change your minds about many things. Eventually you will begin to understand how precious your current life is (melon intact, working like it should, all memories and personality still there) and you'll appreciate it more. Like Brian said, when you have kids, you'll change your tune. It sucks to hear that old phrase from your childhood, "You'll understand when you get older", but in this case it's true.

I wear a helmet not because I am a pussy, I wear it because I don't want to force the GF (soon to be wife) to wipe my butt, and feed me because I wiped out and am a now veg. I wear it because I am a damn cool person and I don't want some rock to change that.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I am 15 and I always wear my helmet.
By the way, Country Park is awsome, I respect the people who built it, and it would STINK to have it torn down. I have only been once, as it is about a 1.5 hour drive.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the emergency medicine system (as in hospital ERs) is largely publically funded. so until you foot the multi-thousand dollar bill yourself when you crack your head open (or the hundreds of thousands should you need neurosurgery) then all of you not-wearing-a-helmet-is-cramping-my-style people can shut up :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pnj said:
details man!
I had met some friends at a local veloway for a ride and was on my way home. I was cruising with a slight downhill and a tailwind at probably a little over 20 mph. The kid came flying down a driveway that was blocked from view by a rock embankment and a delivery van. He pretty much appeared right in front of me. Didn't even have time to grab the brakes before I t-boned him. I ended up landing on top him, and he smacked his head right above the temple. He was in a coma for a couple of weeks and ended up with a plastic(?) plate in his head. I heard it set him back a couple of years of learning, too.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
johnbryanpeters said:
Yes, you do know someone who has gotten brain damage from hitting their head, namely me.

Put your fvcking helmet on, champ.

J

we've met?

I'm the biggest pvssy ever. and I do wear a helmet sometimes, especially when mtn. biking. I just don't believe in the 'wear a helmet everytime i get on my bike' school of though.
I'm older then I may appear....(but just as dumb;))

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
stinkyboy said:
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll let you in on a little secret, I said similar things, but now that I have 2 kids 5 & 2 I protect them with my life.

I have a girlfriend that has a 2 year old. I'm over one day and the kid starts crying and I said what's up, your boy's crying." She says: I don't run every time he crys. I can tell if he's hurt by the sound of the cry, and this way he is forced to deal with things on his own" That may sound cold to some, but I think it's showing wisdom beyond her 25 years.
dude, apples and oranges. my son goes bigger on a bike than any -barly 5 yr old- i know. he wears a helmet, whether it's at the dirt jumps or just riding circles in the parking lot. he crashes...a lot. hell, his elbows, shins and knees are constantly scabbed over....but he takes it like a tough kid should. do i freak out and coddle him when he scrapes his knee? no, i encourage him to get up and try it again. there is a huge difference between letting your kids make mistakes and get hurt once in a while and negligence. how many people do you know that are vegatables because they scraped/broke their knee/elbow/leg..whatever....and how many are permanently brain damaged because of a head injury?

you're experience in parenting is equivalent to my experience building a short wave radio.....don't know shat.

by the way, went back today and the city conveniently posted the "WARNING...HELMET REQUIRED" sign at the entrance.

so, after seeing the sign that says you will be banned from the park if you don't wear a helmet....would you still not wear one?

i guess i would have been a cooler dad to let my 4 yr old try this w/out a helmet huh? :rolleyes:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
stinkyboy said:
Have a good night everyone, and leave other's children to their parents (good or bad) to raise.
funny thing is....about 80%+ of my "clients" at work are those kids who's parents never cared enough to protect them. oh well...job security i guess :help:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
manimal said:
funny thing is....about 80%+ of my "clients" at work are those kids who's parents never cared enough to protect them. oh well...job security i guess :help:
Yep, As long as there are morons in this world, your family will eat:thumb: