Quantcast

if anyone cares about the NHL

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the season is officially cancelled.

But, on the bright side... Gary Bettman is very sorry about the situation.

:eviltongu at GB.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thanks to the NHL for screwing up! Stupid management and greedy players. Great. Wait til its the least popular "major" sport and then try and kill it by cancelling the season. Idiots. I love hockey, but this is absurd.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm a little bummed, but not that torn up over this. Both sides have screwed up royally here.

FYI, hockey is below NASCAR on the popularity scale in this country, and it's not that close.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I need some kind of televised hockey to watch. Perhaps FSN needs to start airing Swedish and Swiss elite league games, as well as Canadian Major Junior, and NCAA games. I hope this costs Bettman his job.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
I Are Baboon said:
I'm a little bummed, but not that torn up over this. Both sides have screwed up royally here.

FYI, hockey is below NASCAR on the popularity scale in this country, and it's not that close.

I believe NASCAR is second only to the NFL in popularity, the NHL lags well behind all other professional sports as well.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
PonySoldier said:
I believe NASCAR is second only to the NFL in popularity, the NHL lags well behind all other professional sports as well.
Yeah, I meant to imply that hockey ranks fifth. You really think NASCAR is above the NBA and MLB?

Hell, I think Major League Soccer is catching up to the NHL. :D

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, I meant to imply that hockey ranks fifth. You really think NASCAR is above the NBA and MLB?

Hell, I think Major League Soccer is catching up to the NHL. :D

I read an article recently on this, however I cannot find it at the moment and if memory serves NASCAR is second only to the NFL.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
PonySoldier said:
I read an article recently on this, however I cannot find it at the moment and if memory serves NASCAR is second only to the NFL.
Interesting. It does not surprise me though. NASCAR tracks have been going up all over the place in recent years. I hear they are going to build one on New York's Coney Island, too.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I don't blame them for not wanting a hard cap. The owners wanted something similar to the NFL, the players wanted something similar to the NBA. I think football is the only sport that's actually more dangerous than hockey.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
It is really too bad. Hockey was getting somewhat popular, what with an 82 game season, and expansion teams popping up all over the place. Maybe they got too big too fast, and this is the result of expansion..too many players and owners forgetting why they are in the arena, and how they got there in the first place...
I for one, think that this just put a bullet in the flogged horse that is the NHL. At least in U.S. markets.
Just a quick search:
average salaries
NHL-1.3m (if the season continued)
NBA-4.1m
NFL-1.17m-but only 16 games
MLB-2.26m-gotta factor in the Yankees.
and, just for fun-
WNBA-46-60,000 U.S. Dollars.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
qualude said:
It is really too bad. Hockey was getting somewhat popular, what with an 82 game season, and expansion teams popping up all over the place. Maybe they got too big too fast, and this is the result of expansion..too many players and owners forgetting why they are in the arena, and how they got there in the first place...
I for one, think that this just put a bullet in the flogged horse that is the NHL. At least in U.S. markets.

Even we here in Louisiana have a hockey team... the MudBugs.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
However said the players offered a 50% pay cut was wrong it was 24%. Either way it was just a start. To cancel the season over a 6 mil. cap difference was a idiot move but basically Bettman is getting what he wants.

1) he will break the NHLPA and Goodenow will get fired for agreeing to a cap which was the reason for the lockout in the first place.
2) Scabs will start the next season and many players will cross the line and come back.
3) he will get his cap.

Bettman has ruined this game by expansion and trying to make it a family game. Until he is gone and his rule regime is expelled the league will never take off.

What Bettman should have said in his speech:

"It is with great regret that I must confess that my attempts to turn the NHL into a NBA like product have failed. I will now step down as commissioner of the NHL. I have failed to make hockey a family sport which traditional fans told me it wasn't. I watered down the league through rapid expansion and the instigator rule. I have caused owners to file for bankruptcy by allowing teams in markets where they had no chance in surviving. This has all lead to the owners locking out players over the cost certainty. The only thing good I did was to break up the NHLPA in its current form and force the election of a new union head. Hopefully in the next year the new commissioner and his NHLPA counterpart can create a CBA that works and contract 4 teams, modify the rules to increase scoring, and encourage on ice policing. Thank you for allowing me to ruin your great sport, I will now go hang myself from the rafters of the Air Canada Center. You may do whatever you wish with my body"

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
dh girlie said:
Only people that care about hockey are the Canadians...:D
Too bad two out of five Canadian cities with NHL franchises can barely support them... I care about hockey, too. And I was way off about the salary cut the players union was going to take. 24% is right.