Quantcast

If anyone tells you racing is dead...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...make sure you punch them in the neck and call them a bald-faced lier! I just got back from racing the Chile Challenge in Angel Fire, NM and it was off the CHAIN!

In total there were roughly 1200 starts for the weekend in 4 events: XC, DH, MX and Super-D. Over 200 racers were barrelling down the MX track that was built for the Angel Fire World Cup last year, close to 450 downhillers gave 'er on Sunday, XC saw around 400 participants Saturday morning... but the BIGGEST growth was in Super-D! Last year we had around 40 racers enter, this year there were over 120! Hmmmmm... with numbers like these I think that makes this race bigger than most of the NMBS races, yeah?

My DH class was pretty much the largest of the day: 46 guys racing Expert Men 30-39. Where the hell are all these old bastards coming from that want to hurl themselves down a rocky hill at 45+ I'll never know, but it made for good racing! I pooched the upper rock section BAD and then blew a corner straight off the track about halfway down, and finished in 30th place. Thank garsh I was running my brand-new and ever-so-coverted Yeti 303... she gave me back a few seconds for sure! Next time I'll gettum, I swear!

Weather was perfect, the vibe was killer with great racing, difficult courses fit for a real mountain bike race, good people, and a Saturday night party with Hypnosis being played on a giant inflatable screen outdoors!

Not too shabby for a regional race, eh? Tons of pics and such have been going up... here's a few that I know of:

http://www.shawnneer.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4
http://community.webshots.com/album/550656328MeIciS
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155060&page=2
http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=377

Results:
http://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2006-1105

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Racing is NOT dead, only NORBA is.

The more people go to these 'fringe' events and ditch the NCS....things will rise. Racing will never get like it was in the mid 90's, but it does not need to. People just need to have fun racing bikes and promoters need to enjoy putting on races-something everyone involved with an NCS does NOT do.

Kudos to the promoters of chile challenge and huge props to those who made the trek to the race!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought this was going to be a NASCAR thread. My mistake.

I got off the couch this year and am very happy to be out there getting my ass handed to me on the few races we have in Oregon this year. I wish I would have started sooner, but oh well.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
jimmydean said:
I thought this was going to be a NASCAR thread...
Yeah I know this is the Lounge and everything... but I figured it IS a mtn bike forum, why not put some mtn bike content in here!?!? Maybe this post should get moved... :D ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Damn straight. Racing is alive and well. Over 100 pro men for the downhill alone this weekend at the first Canada Cup, in the most horrendous weather i have been in since, ironically, the 1997 bromont world cup. I believe it was 1500+ for the DH and XC events combined as well as the 12 hour xc race held sunday.

$50 cnd entry, 3 days of practice runs. Hell yes. Ride on.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You really think so? I could foresee see a resurgence...But who the hell am I :confused:
My chick was almost making half a million a year racing her bicycle in the hey days...I do not see that ever happening again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
My chick was almost making half a million a year racing her bicycle in the hey days...I do not see that ever happening again.
Only cuz her husband won't let her ride a bike! :rofl: ;)

Funny part is, she could probably still school 9/10ths of the women's field at any given event.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Transcend said:
Only cuz her husband won't let her ride a bike! :rofl: ;)

Funny part is, she could probably still school 9/10ths of the women's field at any given event.
Well point was, Missy, Leigh, ACC all were making PHAT money. The industry is still WAY bitter on them making that kind of coin and there are crusty dudes in suits that will see to it, that never happens again.

As for dudes, same thing, no one in MTBing will ever get paid what Lopes was making on Cdale or Peaty on GT, its just not going to happen.

Great, now I completely screwed the thread.....point is, its not about making the bling, its about having great racing and races-races like the chili pepper or what have you are exactly what the people want and need.

Die Norba, rise from the ashes new racers and races.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
stiksandstones said:
Well point was, Missy, Leigh, ACC all were making PHAT money. The industry is still WAY bitter on them making that kind of coin and there are crusty dudes in suits that will see to it, that never happens again.

As for dudes, same thing, no one in MTBing will ever get paid what Lopes was making on Cdale or Peaty on GT, its just not going to happen.

Great, now I completely screwed the thread.....point is, its not about making the bling, its about having great racing and races-races like the chili pepper or what have you are exactly what the people want and need.

Die Norba, rise from the ashes new racers and races.
this thread is way to good for the lounge.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are a bunch of sandbaggers racing sport class this year because nobody wanted to pony up the $60 for a Norba license (required to race Expert and above) on top of the OBRA license.

I would have placed better in Expert than I did in Sport had I dropped the extra dough to move up.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
jimmydean said:
There are a bunch of sandbaggers racing sport class this year because nobody wanted to pony up the $60 for a Norba license (required to race Expert and above) on top of the OBRA license.

I would have placed better in Expert than I did in Sport had I dropped the extra dough to move up.
Hey now..... :mumble: would you add 30-60 bucks to only race 1-2 NORBAS? I know its not worth it to me... and Petr doesnt run an OPEN class... Maybe he can still do an open class...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
biker3 said:
Hell yeah. Im ditching most of the Norbas, I've decided for the MSC series. It has the potential to become THE gravity series in the USA. I paid 40 bucks to race BOTH Junior X DH and MTX. Thats less that a single entry fee at a NCS. Rock on MSC, rock on.
Jese are you coming to all the MSC races? I'm looking forward to riding with you and Will again. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I hear you on the entry fee. Last year this kid Stephen comes up to me and was like "yeah, I just won." I was like WOW. You stepped up your skills over the winter. ...come to find out kid didn't wanna huck the NORBA annual fee for one Nat, so he cherry picked Sport.

Way to go NORBA...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oly said:
Hey now..... :mumble: would you add 30-60 bucks to only race 1-2 NORBAS? I know its not worth it to me... and Petr doesnt run an OPEN class... Maybe he can still do an open class...
I'm just busting your balls, oly. I wouldn't drop that kind of dough for 2 races either. I think it's stupid to force people to buy the extra license in the first place unless they plan on racing outside the state.

I wanted to race Expert just because I have heard the Sport class at Willamette Pass is too easy.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
jimmydean said:
I'm just busting your balls, oly. I wouldn't drop that kind of dough for 2 races either. I think it's stupid to force people to buy the extra license in the first place unless they plan on racing outside the state.

I wanted to race Expert just because I have heard the Sport class at Willamette Pass is too easy.
Lol, i know...

Thats also why i wont be racing any more hood races if Petr doent have an open class... i do the sport course there as my last run of the day to wind down and not get hurt.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I was thinking about this the other day and realized that since its $5 A DAY for the one days, the first hood was $5, so now your down to $55.
Theoretically if you do all five(?) of the remaining races and they do Sat paractice/Sun race you will be spending $50 so you saved yourself $5? But you had to fil out paper work at every race AND you only got to race the sport course?
If you had any inclanation to do the Willamette Pass races, its would be $10 a weekend (Sat practice/Sun race).
Not sure if Silver Mt. is going to do Norba or not so if you were planning on doing any of those races, its another $10 a weekend?