Quantcast

If homosexual marriages are legalized, should polygamy also be?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If we are gonna legalize thigs that are only now illegal based on religious taboos, why not go all the way.

I now pronounce you man and wife and wife, you may kiss the brides.

:devil:

On the other hand, What do bigamy and monogamy have in common?

They're both one wife too many. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
in the old days, you could have multiple wives, you just had to be able to support 'em. So, sure, if you can afford 'em.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Silver
Yes, but only between adults. No 13 year old girls getting married to 60 year old men in polygamy country...
I am highly against people pulling an Elvis.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It's only partly related, but are there any cases of polygamy with one woman and multiple men? how about more than one of each?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by ohio
It's only partly related, but are there any cases of polygamy with one woman and multiple men? how about more than one of each?
Polyandry? I've heard of it, but mostly in the animal world. I've heard of cases of it in Tibet, but I don't have time to look for sources right now...

As for more than one of each, that's right out of a Heinlein book :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Serial Midget
What about a Jerry Lewis? I've got a 13 year old cousin I've been hiding from BurlySurly...

What's that ya say? Is she hot? Lets see some pics.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
Remember that slippery slope we talked about before?

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Polyandry? I've heard of it, but mostly in the animal world. I've heard of cases of it in Tibet, but I don't have time to look for sources right now...

As for more than one of each, that's right out of a Heinlein book :)
I believe we learned in History that they do this in parts of Africa.
________
Iolite vaporiser review

Last edited:

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Apples and Oranges.

A gay marriage would be 2 consenting adults deciding to spend their lives together.

Women who are raised in a Polygamist family will see that as normal. They won't have the luxury of picking their husband, or whether they will be in a monogomous relationship. I'm pretty sure most Polygamist marriages are arranged.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Zoso
Apples and Oranges.

A gay marriage would be 2 consenting adults deciding to spend their lives together.

Women who are raised in a Polygamist family will see that as normal. They won't have the luxury of picking their husband, or whether they will be in a monogomous relationship. I'm pretty sure most Polygamist marriages are arranged.
Polygamy just means you have multiple wives, not marying your daughters and crap.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Sorry, my post was a bit confusing. I meant that Polygamy is usually exclusive to a community, so that when a daughter is raised, she considers polygamy to be the only way to live your life. She isn't given any other options (ie monogamy).

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Sorry, my post was a bit confusing. I meant that Polygamy is usually exclusive to a community, so that when a daughter is raised, she considers polygamy to be the only way to live your life. She isn't given any other options (ie monogamy).
:stupid:

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
You could say the same thing about any lifestyle though. Whether it be polygamy, christian science, vegetarianism, or whatever.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
You could say the same thing about any lifestyle though. Whether it be polygamy, christian science, vegetarianism, or whatever.
In Homer Simpson voice. "those damn vegitarians........"

:D

My GF is one.......so I can talk smack

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Right, but we were talking about it in comparison to gay marriage. No one is forced to be gay, but some people are forced to live a polygamist lifestyle.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Right, but we were talking about it in comparison to gay marriage. No one is forced to be gay, but some people are forced to live a polygamist lifestyle.
I just compared the two because they are both laws based on religious taboo. Again you could say the same thing about any lifestyle, the children involved would certainly be influenced but would it be harmful to them?

There are cases of children being harmed by the Christian Science beleif. Parents have refused to seek proper treatment for illnesses and instead resorted to prayer, which has led to the death of the child in some cases. Yet, that is an acceptable lifestyle in the eyes of scociety.

Children raised in a polygamist family, may have a different view than those raised in a traditional family. But that in and of itself does not mean they are any worse off for it.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I guess it depends on your opinion of "worse off". I think that kids/teens are smarter than we give them credit for. They should be presented with as much unbiased material as possible and then be allowed to decide how to live their lives. It just seems like polygamist children don't get nearly as many opportunities as most other children. That's why I'm slightly opposed to polygamy, not because of some religious taboo.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I guess it depends on your opinion of "worse off". I think that kids/teens are smarter than we give them credit for. They should be presented with as much unbiased material as possible and then be allowed to decide how to live their lives. It just seems like polygamist children don't get nearly as many opportunities as most other children. That's why I'm slightly opposed to polygamy, not because of some religious taboo.
I think you're like me. Not opposed to polygamy itself, but worried about how relgious and family pressure might push some people toward something they wouldn't have chosen for themselves.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am not sure what you mean, how would these chioldren receive any less opportunities than anyone else?

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I think you're like me. Not opposed to polygamy itself, but worried about how relgious and family pressure might push some people toward something they wouldn't have chosen for themselves.
Yeah, thats right. Like me, I was raised Christian, and still am essentially, but I've been having a real crisis of faith lately. But that's ok, I'm not afraid of that. One should always be questioning their beliefs, always be open to interpretation and modification.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I am not sure what you mean, how would these chioldren receive any less opportunities than anyone else?
Because they will live and die in an exclusive community without any knowledge of other religions, lifestyles, etc.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah, thats right. Like me, I was raised Christian, and still am essentially, but I've been having a real crisis of faith lately. But that's ok, I'm not afraid of that. One should always be questioning their beliefs, always be open to interpretation and modification.
How would polygamist children be prevented from this though. It seems to me anybody can question the way they were raised and what beleif systems were imposed on them by their parents.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Because they will live and die in an exclusive community without any knowledge of other religions, lifestyles, etc.
I think we are arguing two different things. I think of polygamy as simply having two wives and nothing else. Not living in special communities or anything like that.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
How would polygamist children be prevented from this though. It seems to me anybody can question the way they were raised and what beleif systems were imposed on them by their parents.
When you are part of a nitch religion that lives alone, it seems like the parents would do just about anything to keep their kids in the flock. Why do you think they live alone? So other kids can't tell them that their parents are "different" and "weird". To keep all outside influences away from their kids.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I think we are arguing two different things. I think of polygamy as simply having two wives and nothing else. Not living in special communities or anything like that.
The only way that polygamy still survives today is that they live in their own communities so other people can't (a) arrest them, and (b) teach their children other ways of living your life. Also, it usually involves more than 2 wives, I saw a story about a guy with 6, and like 20-some odd kids.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Technically, that is bigamy, isn't it? :)

For an interesting look at what Zoso is talking about, pick up Kraukauer's newest book, Under the Banner of Heaven. Intersting stuff in there about polygamist communities.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
When you are part of a nitch religion that lives alone, it seems like the parents would do just about anything to keep their kids in the flock. Why do you think they live alone? So other kids can't tell them that their parents are "different" and "weird". To keep all outside influences away from their kids.
The only way that polygamy still survives today is that they live in their own communities so other people can't (a) arrest them, and (b) teach their children other ways of living your life. Also, it usually involves more than 2 wives, I saw a story about a guy with 6, and like 20-some odd kids.
When I brought this up I really didn't mean to tie it in with any current lifestyles that go along with it. But any child raised in that kind of closed environment, where they are sheltered from the real world would have problems. But I don't think that is exclusive to polygamists though, as any extremist could form the same community and base it on entirely different principles.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
But I don't think that is exclusive to polygamists though, as any extremist could form the same community and base it on entirely different principles.
Quite true, quite true. :monkey: