Quantcast

If I get an Ipod....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the subscription services like napster won't work. but just about any "normal" mp3s should work, whether they're ripped from cds, gotten through illicit p2p networks, or on discs burnt by friends or random dudes you meet on the castro.

:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
the subscription services like napster won't work. but just about any "normal" mp3s should work, whether they're ripped from cds, gotten through illicit p2p networks, or on discs burnt by friends or random dudes you meet on the castro.

:D
When I meet up with random dudes on the castro, we aren't exchanging mp3s....

I was thinking about joining up with Yahoo Music, but it seems like the same sh*t, different package.

I was cruising the cnet reviews, and the Creative Zen Micro got a great review. I am leaning towards that one, but I don't know enough to say it is better or worse than any Ipod.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't think it would be considered anything more than marginally better or worse by unbiased users. i was considering one for a long while. almost got one when they lowered the price, but decided to wait. not sure why i ended up waiting. i think i wanted to see if Dell was going to drop the price of their DJ (which at the time had the best $:gig ratio). oh, i remember, this was when the 2nd gen iPod Minis came out with the badass battery life and lower price.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
All that ****in' subscription, music management **** burns my ass! **** all those cunts trying to tell you how and where to classify store and buy your music. It's ****in' music, man. Music. It's important. Buy a product that lets you do what you want with it. There are plenty out there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
All that ****in' subscription, music management **** burns my ass! **** all those cunts trying to tell you how and where to classify store and buy your music. It's ****in' music, man. Music. It's important. Buy a product that lets you do what you want with it. There are plenty out there.
Changleen, I wish you would just stop pussyfooting around and tell us how you feel...

sanjuro said:
I am leaning towards that one, but I don't know enough to say it is better or worse than any Ipod.
After a post in the lounge, I played with a Sandisk Sansa 4gb model and was very pleased with it.

I received an iRiver T30 for Christmas - I don't know what your storage requirements are (the T30 is a max 1gb), but for my type of use I'm unlikely to put more than a couple hundred songs on it - scrolling on these devices is always clumsy at best, even well designed ones. So I put a playlist on it and go. The shape is unique, but I actually find it suprisingly nice. Fits in your hand well, and when you rest it on a flat surface, the screen is angled so you can see it - sweet :thumb:.

Battery life is the one thing that I harp on since, for me, it's the most important feature next to sound quality. The T30 offers sound quality in spades, and great battery life - the iPod's weakest point is batteries. AAA batteries mean you can use recharagables, but if you're stuck somewhere, you can use regular batteries. Simple player, not a tremendous amount of options but it does what I need of it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Battery life and sound quality seem very obvious consideration, but not surprisingly, I, personally, am more concerned about software than hardware.

I just hate the thought of being locked into one "music management" software. It seems like the hugest scam, like AOL as a dial-up provider used to be.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I just got a Nano for xmas and it's the sh!t. Only downside is that it was only a 2gig and it's already full. Just have to rotate my playlists more frequesntly I guess. No biggie...