Quantcast

if meat is murder, then what are vegans?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
...but when I'm asked about being Vegan it's often a challenge and the person feeling they need to "educate" me or prove me wrong...this happens about 90% of the time...D
And a polite response to their attempt at education could be....

"Well thanks for your concern, but in all honesty, fvck off. I'm perfectly content not to eat meat."

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Still I gotta do what works for me dude. I literally haven't had so much as a case of the sniffles in 2 years. I'm in my best riding shape ever. I'm 40 years old and I still get ID'd for beer. If I'm malnourished, it sure feels great. On the other hand, most of my meatasaurus friends, who ride/work out just as much as me, and otherwise eat healthy, are constantly getting colds, flu, stomach bugs, etc. Coincidence? Maybe. But I'm gonna stick with what works for me.
You haven't got any kids have you?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Evolution also gave me a dick. Does that mean it's OK for me to rape women?
That has no relation to diet or evolution. Life isn't a ****ing disney movie. Animals eat other animals. Should we arrest a cat when he catches a meal? We could feed him a diet without meat too, but that would kill him but at least PETA would be happy - who cares what the scientific reality is. Our body has adaptations that aren't found in herbivores. We are made to eat everything and thats the way it is. Thats one of the reasons why the human species is so successful in the scheme of things.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
And he's not going to have kids either if his mom was a vegan...

Low Sperm Count? It's Your Mother's Fault

By Maggie Fox in Washington, www.news.com.au

March 28 - WOMEN who don't eat beef while pregnant give birth to sons who grow up to have low sperm counts, new research suggests...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
To catching colds? Oh no it ain't.
quite true; i never got sick when all i did was work/ride/poop/sleep mostly b/c i had a decent exercise regimen & never came into contact w/ anyone.

since starting a family, less exercise + more humanette contact == more illness.

just for another data point, we should see what the patterns are with freegans

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
To catching colds? Oh no it ain't.
I have a vegan nice and nephew 4 and 3. It's entirely possible to raise kids as vegetarians from birth without any problems. I have many friends who were brought up as veg and they live normal happy healthy lives...D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That has no relation to diet or evolution. Life isn't a ****ing disney movie. Animals eat other animals. Should we arrest a cat when he catches a meal? We could feed him a diet without meat too, but that would kill him but at least PETA would be happy - who cares what the scientific reality is. Our body has adaptations that aren't found in herbivores. We are made to eat everything and thats the way it is. Thats one of the reasons why the human species is so successful in the scheme of things.
Arrest a cat? WTF are you talking about? You aren't making any sense. Wild animals run around and f*ck whatever other member of their species they feel like f*cking at that particular moment. Wild animals run around and kill whatever animal they want to eat. Guess what, humans aren't wild animals, or at least some of us aren't. Just because you selectively choose which wild animal traits to make your own, doesn't make you better or smarter than anyone else.

And PETA doesn't have a damn thing to do with me being a vegetarian. Actually PETA can kiss my ass, their extremist position on everything is what gives people like you ammunition.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I have a vegan nice and nephew 4 and 3. It's entirely possible to raise kids as vegetarians from birth without any problems. I have many friends who were brought up as veg and they live normal happy healthy lives...D
Mate,I'm not making any comment about a vegan/vegetarian diet, I'm pointing out that when you have kids you catch far more colds - they transmit and incubate viruses like their lives depend on it.

I was 2 years without a cold until I had kids, then I spent months catching one cold after another.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ohio said it better than I would have.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever anyway.

Neither does your logic. We have dozens of instincts that have been necessary for our survival as we have evolved that are suppressed so that we can live in a reasonable and polite society. You are completely arbitrarily choosing the particular trait of being an omnivore as something we shouldn't suppress, and that's absurd. It is no different from a rapist using the evolutionary instinct to mate with every fertile female as an excuse for his behavior.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Rape has nothing to do with diet - you were the one not making any sense.

Science is what has proven our body has adaptations that make us different than herbivores. Your arbitrary assignment of morals to eating meat has no effect on the value of diet to the human body. Evolution has choosen which animal traits are our own - nobody has any say in the matter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Rape has nothing to do with diet - you were the one not making any sense.

Science is what has proven our body has adaptations that make us different than herbivores. Your arbitrary assignment of morals to eating meat has no effect on the value of diet to the human body. Evolution has choosen which animal traits are our own - nobody has any say in the matter.
So tell me again why going out and impregnating whatever female of my species want to is different than killing whatever I want to eat? From a wild animal/evolution perspective.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Mate,I'm not making any comment about a vegan/vegetarian diet, I'm pointing out that when you have kids you catch far more colds - they transmit and incubate viruses like their lives depend on it.

I was 2 years without a cold until I had kids, then I spent months catching one cold after another.
ok gotcha...yeah the little buggers do carry a lot of germs...D

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
We are omnivores - 2 million years of evolution can't be wrong. Our species succeeded for a reason - we are designed to be adaptable/flexible. Its easier to get your food from multiple sources and easier to balance your diet.

I would agree if you said in modern context, richer countries generally need to lower their animal based diet content, but eating everything is natural - there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what nature intended us to do.
What I tried to do above was to explain what reasonons vegans have to not eat meat (I see now that I missed something and I will ad that). But I agree with you on most things.

One thing I don't agree with you on is that the sheer easyness of getting a balanced diet from multiple sources give us the right to kill another species (I'm not sure you meant it that way though).

I agree that it's natural to eat meat, but it's not natural to these proportions we're eating it today. I read some where that mankind had a vegetable diet of upto 90% through history. The figure varied for where on earth you looked, for instance eskimo's haven't eaten all too much vegetables (don't remember the opposing figure though).

One thing I missed to say was that vegans view it as wrong to actually USE an animal for anything (milk, eggs etc) as it isn't on the animals terms, but ours. Personaly I think we can bend that a bit aslong as the animals can live good lives (not be confined to a limited space etc). Otherwise I don't view it as they've live their natural lives.

What I don't agree on is that nature intended that animals be transported to the slaughter house packed as sardines for 24h, maybe more, in summer heat, half through Europe, so that when they reach the house they have to wait in line feeling and smelling the anxiety and fear of the animals in front of them being excecuted.

Hunting and fishing is natural. But emptying the seas of fish, as we are able to do today, isn't natural. Salmon breeding pools isn't natural eather, too bad as I really used to love sushi..

As you mentioned, I think we have to limit our selves.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So tell me again why going out and impregnating whatever female of my species want to is different than killing whatever I want to eat? From a wild animal/evolution perspective.
If you can't tell the difference between eat and ****ing you have bigger problems than this.

You can't change an animal's diet overnight - it takes evolution to change it - mutations have to take place over generations of the species - change in steps over a long period of time. Some cultures have a higher rate of lactose intolerance for example to the mutations in their population.

Our evolution as an ominvore is why people can be malnourished as vegetarians - it takes more knowledge of nutrition such as amino acid balance - it isn't inherent knowledge - its not the omnivorous diet our body has evolved to eat.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
since this thread turned dumb, I'll try to stop it by summarizing what syadasti's appears to be saying...

Being a vegan requires knowledge. You cannot be a vegan arbitrarily, but you can be an omnivore without thinking.

Y'all need to stop this, there's a monkey surrounded by guns in the lounge.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
One thing I missed to say was that vegans view it as wrong to actually USE an animal for anything (milk, eggs etc) as it isn't on the animals terms, but ours. Personaly I think we can bend that a bit aslong as the animals can live good lives (not be confined to a limited space etc). Otherwise I don't view it as they've live their natural lives.
Its a version of symbiosis. Arbitrary morals are inventions of mankind.

wikipedia said:
* Mutualism, a relationship in which members of two different species benefit and neither suffers.'[2] (+ +)
* Commensalism, a relationship in which 'one party gains some benefit, whilst the other suffers no serious disadvantage'[3] (+ 0)
* Parasitism, in which one member of the association benefits while the other is harmed (+ -)
* Amensalism, in which the association is disadvantageous to one member while the other is not affected (− 0). Allelopathy can fall into this category.
* Competition, in which both organisms are harmed (- -) Allelopathy can fall into this category.
* Artificial symbiosis, the mutually beneficial integration between a live part and an artifact.

Symbiosis may be divided into two distinct categories: ectosymbiosis and endosymbiosis. In ectosymbiosis, the symbiont lives on the body surface of the host, including the inner surface of the digestive tract or the ducts of exocrine glands. In endosymbiosis, the symbiont lives within the tissues of the host; either in the intracellular space or extracellularly.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
It think it's funny that syadasti just assumes that everyone believes in evolution...which seems to be the basis of his argument...D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If you can't tell the difference between eat and ****ing you have bigger problems than this.
Can you even read? Of course I can tell the difference, although last night I did both within a very short period of time on my couch so it was a bit fuzzy. Watching TV was also involved, not that I can tell the difference there either.

If you go back and read, what I said was "from a wild animal/evolution perspective". Both are activites that are vital to the survival of a species. And they are both urges that wild animals cannot control, and humans can.

Besides, my cat has diplomatic immunity, so you can't arrest her.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And they are both urges that wild animals cannot control, and humans can.
Human cannot change how they are presently evolved. You can't just decide to start drinking milk if you are lactose intolerant without some artificial bandaid - your genes won't let you.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Human cannot change how they are presently evolved. You can't just decide to start drinking milk if you are lactose intolerant without some artificial bandaid - your genes won't let you.

I have to call BS...I use to be allergic to bee stings and after seeing a homeopath for a few months I'm no longer allergic....D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have to call BS...I use to be allergic to bee stings and after seeing a homeopath for a few months I'm no longer allergic....D
Are you saying that a homeopath caused a change in the way your gene expression worked? I'd look into that a little deeper, because proving that could net you a nobel prize...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
lol...I like how you pick and chose what to respond to. I tell you what..you keep eating meat since you have "evolved' to do so and i'll stay vegetarian. We can talk about it again if 50 years...if you're still alive that is :D...D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
lol...I like how you pick and chose what to respond to. I tell you what..you keep eating meat since you have "evolved' to do so and i'll stay vegetarian. We can talk about it again if 50 years...if you're still alive that is :D...D
My father is in his 60s and most people think he's in his 40s. He is still an avid skier and tennis professional. I've even taken him downhilling at Whistler and he doesn't regularly mountain bike.

My former boss is an avid mountain biker and he also is in his 60s.

A healthy lifestyle can be achieved whether you eat meat or not.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A healthy lifestyle can be achieved whether you eat meat or not.
Of course you and your family are all genetic wonders and perfect in every way. But let's compare all the vegetarians in the world with all the corpse eaters. Include in the comparison body fat, overall health, and physical appearance. Are you REALLY stupid enough to think that there will be equality in that comparison?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Of course you and your family are all genetic wonders and perfect in every way. But let's compare all the vegetarians in the world with all the corpse eaters. Include in the comparison body fat, overall health, and physical appearance. Are you REALLY stupid enough to think that there will be equality in that comparison?
The vegetarians are a self selecting group...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
To be longterm vegetarian you have to have some knowledge about nutrition, so you have to compare with a population of similar nutritional knowledge base and lifestyle. You would have be sure you are only testing the variable of eating meat or not - ideally it would have to be double blind and randomized like a drug trial.

Otherwise your comparison is complete useless and only a fool would put value in the study there is multitude of other variables which could be coming into play, synergistic effects, etc. Your stats would be useless. The line parroted by misguided fools that, "a study can be made to show anything" does not apply to controlled studies following the scientific process.

PS, my sister was a vegetarian for over a decade until she lived in Africa for 6 months.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seriously, syadasti, are you just not reading or allowing anything to penetrate your head?

Let's go back for a second.

syadasti said:
I eat everything because there is nothing wrong or unnatural about it - its how we evolved. To say it is wrong goes against evolution which can't be wrong.
Here's your original point, from where all your arguments stem. You state that simply because we evolved to be a certain way, people cannot view that as wrong.

We evolved to f**k anything that is fertile whether they are particularly willing or not. We evolved to fight and kill each other over animal disputes about territory and leadership (okay, let's not bring G.W.B. into this, you know what I mean).

We evolved a lot of ways that are NOT RELEVANT TO TODAY'S SOCIETY. We have animal instincts about eating and mating and territory that are considered to be wrong in a civilized society. Just because you don't think eating meat is wrong doesn't mean that evolution vindicates you. Evolving to be a certain way doesn't automatically make it morally right. The instinct to eat meat doesn't mean it can't be balanced against society's treatment of animals.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We evolved a lot of ways that are NOT RELEVANT TO TODAY'S SOCIETY. We have animal instincts about eating and mating and territory that are considered to be wrong in a civilized society. Just because you don't think eating meat is wrong doesn't mean that evolution vindicates you. Evolving to be a certain way doesn't automatically make it morally right. The instinct to eat meat doesn't mean it can't be balanced against society's treatment of animals.
Actually evolution always determines ideal diet.

The body's nutritional requirements are not effected by arbitrary human invented morals. The nutritional requirements - what is healthy for the body and not is determined by our genes. It doesn't matter whether someone thinks its wrong or not evolution is RIGHT and always relevant to way the body physically works - end of story.