Quantcast

if meat is murder, then what are vegans?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your point is ridiculous and you are not addressing the root of my argument (or Echo's) but that's cool, I'm done. :homer:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your point is ridiculous and you are not addressing the root of my argument (or Echo's) but that's cool, I'm done. :homer:
No our body's nutritional requirements are the most relevant, important criteria in determining how healthy a diet is. Our genes determine what is right, not arbitrary morals.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No our body's nutritional requirements are the most relevant, important criteria in determining how healthy a diet is.
Let's pretend that killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children and grinding them into meat was the best diet possible, according to our gene expression. (Of course, this is a ridiculous idea, no one seriously thinks we should grind up those dead Iraqi children that we killed, so don't get your panties in a knot...) Are we justified in doing that in order to secure a food supply, especially since we live in a time when technology has freed us from such requirements?

It's a moral question, and you're answering it with the naturalistic fallacy (or, more properly, an appeal to nature.)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Actually evolution always determines ideal diet.
Despite the n8 like quality of your post (either completely ignorant or just trolling), I have to agree with you.

Apparently us vegan/vegetarians are just further along in our evolution that you.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's a moral question, and you're answering it with the naturalistic fallacy (or, more properly, an appeal to nature.)
There is no fallacy about the genes that determine the way life works.

Symbiosis is fact of life.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
No our body's nutritional requirements are the most relevant, important criteria in determining how healthy a diet is. Our genes determine what is right, not arbitrary morals.
I'm not going to go back through and check, but as far as I remember, you are the only person in the thread who has referred to "morals". I certainly haven't said anything about morals. I don't eat corpses because I don't think it's safe, I don't trust the farmers to produce a safe product and I don't trust the government to regulate them. Different people have different reasons and seriously, I can't understand why every time there's a thread about it, you feel the need to jump in. So you eat dead bodies. We know. Some of us choose not to. You aren't going to change anyone's mind.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm not going to go back through and check, but as far as I remember, you are the only person in the thread who has referred to "morals". I certainly haven't said anything about morals. I don't eat corpses because I don't think it's safe, I don't trust the farmers to produce a safe product and I don't trust the government to regulate them. Different people have different reasons and seriously, I can't understand why every time there's a thread about it, you feel the need to jump in. So you eat dead bodies. We know. Some of us choose not to. You aren't going to change anyone's mind.
Food safety is valid concern, no argument with that. Its hard to judge how deep the hole is though it applies to big commercialized agriculture in general, not just meat.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Food safety is valid concern, no argument with that. Its hard to judge how deep the hole is though it applies to big commercialized agriculture in general, not just meat.
Definitely. But I gotta eat something. I pick what I think is the safest and healthiest.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Definitely. But I gotta eat something. I pick what I think is the safest and healthiest.
Its also scary to think of how many thousands of chemicals make it on to the market every year with only a very small handful tested by the government for a narrow set of issues with heavy influence from the very industries that make them. We are a nation of guinea pigs whether we know it or not.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
First, your previous post is way too friggin' long. Brevity is your friend.

As for what to do when someone serves something you don't eat, well, don't eat it. How is that hard?

I refuse to eat meat that was abused in the standard process of growing it. Like foie gras, that's just mean. The only true way to eat meat is by killing a wild animal. Since I don't do that, I have to draw the line somewhere, that's duck liver, veal and the like.
Sorry, I have mouth diarea.

It's hard because they start asking questions and make them feel guilty about their eating habbits, which makes me feel guilty in turn for effing up the good mood und so weiter...

Are you BSing? How about freedom gras, do you eat that?

just for another data point, we should see what the patterns are with freegans
Looks interesting, thanks for the link!

Its a version of symbiosis. Arbitrary morals are inventions of mankind.
I don't see where it is mutually beneficial for animals to serv us or be bred just to feed us. I find that to be parasitical and at best amensalitical of us. I am taking advatage of them cows as I need their milk as a source of proteins.

Are you saying that the morals of Vegans are arbitrary? I find their reasoning to be rooted in deep values that are unquestionable when it comes to the relation between man-man.

I have to call BS...I use to be allergic to bee stings and after seeing a homeopath for a few months I'm no longer allergic....D
Is that what you call them rasta's down at the park?

you've obviously never owned a dog before.
I'm a luck "owner" of two American Pit Bull Terriers. Somehow my two little turds manage to leave food in their bowls!! :biggrin: I'll see if I can post a picture of them this weekend.

I'm not going to go back through and check, but as far as I remember, you are the only person in the thread who has referred to "morals". I certainly haven't said anything about morals.
I touched that subject when I answered L'Opie's question about why, at least many, vegans do their thang. It's because of ethics. Dunno if it was that that triggered this discussion though.

Its also scary to think of how many thousands of chemicals make it on to the market every year with only a very small handful tested by the government for a narrow set of issues with heavy influence from the very industries that make them. We are a nation of guinea pigs whether we know it or not.
True dat! But that's another thread.