Quantcast

If not the Mono...then what ...?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I have been thinking about getting another frame in order to try something a little more "race-like" than the Karpiel. SInce I like the Foes Mono in looks and design I searched through old posts in order to find some info. However, I did find a lot of info, but I was quite surprised to discover that most people didn`t like it.

Most comments were like:

- it does not corner well.
- it is mostly for going straight.
- head tube failure
- bad CS

Is the Foes Mono a bike I ought to stay away from ?

Since I would like to try another frame I am in doubt what to search for. I will be using heavy suspension components - try to keep the rest of the gear fairly light and mostly be using the bike for "pure DH".

I need a frame which is good at tight, narrow, tecnical stuff. Lots of rock gardens and turns. However - since I am not a very skillfull rider I need a bike that dosent disintegrate first time I crash.

Any ideas if not the Mono ? :confused:

Thanks a lot !

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Turner DHR and the M3 would be great choices as well. The DHR is so nimble, when I tried Chainwhips it almost felt like a xc rig because it was so flickable.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I think my mono(04 10") corners pretty well, but thats with a 7" dorado and the tie rod as slacked as can be.

The curnutt is a love/hate thing also.
Its the worst feeling shock in existance if your just rolling around a car park, you can feel when the rebound circut kicks in.

But get some speed and it eats bumps etc like nothing else.

If I were going to buy another bike a mono would be it.

The only headtube failure Ive seen was WCHs but i dont think its a common thing.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I can say (from personal experience) that Foes customer service is pretty good...not great...I had to bicker with them a bit to replace a flawed frame (in their defence, they surely assumed another JRA story)...but they did replace it, and fast after the arguing was done. The build on my Fly is next to none in quality and finish, and would expect the same from a mono...

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Banga said:
I
The curnutt is a love/hate thing also.
Its the worst feeling shock in existance if your just rolling around a car park, you can feel when the rebound circut kicks in.

But get some speed and it eats bumps etc like nothing else.

QUOTE]

words of wisdom...the parking lot test is not a good one for the curnutt...although it will allow you to feel just how well they pedal.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ill take my Avalanche over the Curnutt anyday. I hated the Curnutt. I hated it so bad that I sent it back to Foes for a Romic so I would have a spare shock.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Kanter said:
Ill take my Avalanche over the Curnutt anyday. I hated the Curnutt. I hated it so bad that I sent it back to Foes for a Romic so I would have a spare shock.

Then we are two :thumb: If I get a Mono I will fit it with an Avy ! :heart:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I've had 4 mono's and one tube over the past 5 years. I have loved them all, every year they just got better. As for your concerns, here is my experience with each of these things:

I found this to not be true at all. The corners differently in that it almost seems to corner itself. You have to put a bit of trust into the bike and learn how to corner it but once you got it down, it actually will rail just about anything fast and hook up no problem.

I live in the PNW and ride mostly tight windy steep trails. I really like the way it rides in these conditions. The geometry allows you to really get behind the bike and push the bike through these sections. It kicks in the straight open stuff, but it handles everything else really well too.

- head tube failure

Had 5, never had a problem. I've also sold all of those bikes and have kept in touch with three people that have purchased them. My '02 is still going strong in Hong Kong, Same with my '03 in canada, and my '04 in Norcal.

- bad CS

I've had the exact opposite. Nothing but top notch service from these guys. Their fast and willing to help you out in a pinch.

Just my experience with them. I also have one of their FXR bikes that I love! I'll stick with Foes as long as their around.

Edit: I also have been really happy with my curnutt shocks. If they are tuned and set up right, they ride great. Definetely not a parking lot test shock though!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The mono corners well, its super stiff and has a low COG. What more do you want?

I'd try the Curnutt a bit before dissing it. They feel pretty good in the dirt.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
DH Diva said:
I've had 4 mono's and one tube over the past 5 years. I have loved them all, every year they just got better. As for your concerns, here is my experience with each of these things:

I found this to not be true at all. The corners differently in that it almost seems to corner itself. You have to put a bit of trust into the bike and learn how to corner it but once you got it down, it actually will rail just about anything fast and hook up no problem.

I live in the PNW and ride mostly tight windy steep trails. I really like the way it rides in these conditions. The geometry allows you to really get behind the bike and push the bike through these sections. It kicks in the straight open stuff, but it handles everything else really well too.

- head tube failure

Had 5, never had a problem. I've also sold all of those bikes and have kept in touch with three people that have purchased them. My '02 is still going strong in Hong Kong, Same with my '03 in canada, and my '04 in Norcal.

- bad CS

I've had the exact opposite. Nothing but top notch service from these guys. Their fast and willing to help you out in a pinch.

Just my experience with them. I also have one of their FXR bikes that I love! I'll stick with Foes as long as their around.

Edit: I also have been really happy with my curnutt shocks. If they are tuned and set up right, they ride great. Definetely not a parking lot test shock though!

Thanks a lot for the answer ! SOunds like you should send me a PM next time you are getting rid of your old frame ! :thumb:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
seismic said:
Thanks a lot for the answer ! SOunds like you should send me a PM next time you are getting rid of your old frame ! :thumb:
Unfortunately, I'm 5'4" so they've all been smalls! I'm most likely out of DH racing so I'll probably keep my fxr and get a fly and focus on endurance downhill and super d. But, I probably won't get another mono :( :( .

I always post here though so if I'm selling any of my Foes bikes in the future, you'll see 'em!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
DH Diva said:
Unfortunately, I'm 5'4" so they've all been smalls! I'm most likely out of DH racing so I'll probably keep my fxr and get a fly and focus on endurance downhill and super d. But, I probably won't get another mono :( :( .

I always post here though so if I'm selling any of my Foes bikes in the future, you'll see 'em!

You are out of DH ? :( :( :( Well.....OK...there might come other Monos for sale ;) I guess the problem is to find one that has not seen too much abuse

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
seismic said:
You are out of DH ? :( :( :( Well.....OK...there might come other Monos for sale ;) I guess the problem is to find one that has not seen too much abuse
Not by choice! I trashed my hands summer of '04. I've got too much metal and too little structural stability to really be able to go out and race and give it 100%. But I'm really just stoked that it wasnt worse and I can still do something (super d, endurance dh). You gotta make the best of a bad situation right??
:thumb:

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
seismic said:
Most comments were like:

- head tube failure
- bad CS

Thanks a lot !
The Mono has longer chainstays, so it's not going to rip super tight corners like a DHR (whoever said the M3 is more nimble than a Mono, check your numbers again buddy) but it is going to remain absurdly stable when you start going really fast in rough/off-camber corners.

The head tube failure thing, I believe, was an exaggeration of the failure of a couple of weird incidents (aka WCH's broken, used-from-Krispy '03 Mono).

Foes CS, for most of '04, wasn't up to par with what it had been when Rich was the go-to guy. But, the new guy seems to have found his groove and we aren't having any problems at all with customer service or dealer support these days.

Those things said, one thing to keep in mind is that the Mono is a frame built with direct input from world champions, and Brent Foes isn't the type to settle for half-cocked. The faster you ride the Mono, the better it's going to handle. I don't know that this would be my choice for, say, a sport-o trying to jump to the top of the Expert class. The Mono is more of an advantage for somebody trying to take the Semi-Pro series title or something. Because of it's longer, slacker geometry, the bike doesn't shine on every course like a DHR or Cuervo would, but on World Cup style stuff I don't know that any bike can really claim to be faster than the DHS.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
kidwoo said:
Chainstays

m3 17.25

Mono 17.98

Wheelbase (medium)

M3 45.25

Mono 46

?????????????? :confused:
Sorry, should have been more specific. Because the Mono has the pivot located so far forward, the wheelpath is pretty close to being vertical (at least compared to most other single pivots). Intense admits (because it's the point of the VPP system) that the wheelbase on the M3 will grow fairly substantially through the stroke of the shock, leaving the two bikes with almost identical virtual wheelbases in the middle of the shock stroke, as well as similar BB heights and head angles.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
James | Go-Ride said:
Sorry, should have been more specific. Because the Mono has the pivot located so far forward, the wheelpath is pretty close to being vertical (at least compared to most other single pivots). Intense admits (because it's the point of the VPP system) that the wheelbase on the M3 will grow fairly substantially through the stroke of the shock, leaving the two bikes with almost identical virtual wheelbases in the middle of the shock stroke, as well as similar BB heights and head angles.
Makes sense. I'd always assumed the mono lengthened as well since the pivot is above the BB (although just barely). The only M3 I've ridden was a small so it turned better than the medium mono I rode last so it seemed a little odd to me to hear that.

I need to get on a medium M3 and see how that beast rides.......
I had a hard time getting the mono around corners at northstar.

Why don't you guys carry intense anymore?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
kidwoo said:
How come you guys don't carry titus? :sneaky: :p
Burn! Haha, okay, well there is one company that I don't mind bashing, and it's been long enough now that a lot of people don't even find my list of complaints credible anymore. But I will always harbor a special grudge against Chris.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I choose my DHR ove the Mono, i was torn between the two, and the DHR is the best bike that ive ever riden.

But, i do see allot of guys riding Monos at plattekill and dammmn those guys are fast.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Thanks for all the advices and answers !! I think I am quite interested in the Mono - only real draw back I can come up with are the custom parts needed as chainguide, rearhub....