Quantcast

if snowboarding is an Olympic sport...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think the Olympics should just be limited to feats of strength.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
stevew said:
I think the Olympics should just be limited to feats of strength.
Like hefting a 22 oz bottle of beer 1000 consecutive times?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Judged sports are silly, just too subjective. Goals/points and stopwatch scored just lead to better competition to me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
BeerDemon said:
Like hefting a 22 oz bottle of beer 1000 consecutive times?
As much as I despise beer, it would probably be just as entertaing as curling.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You only really need one or two cameras for a BMX race and it's easy to host indoors if necassary where the crowd can see everything.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
manimal said:
skiers/snowboarders as a whole generally have more fundage than the skateboarding crowd. $$$ means a lot when lobbying for sports to be added in the olympic circle.
Yeah like curling too. Fat bank in curling.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Although I like watching the mogul competition............. :think:
I'm not saying it can't be entertaining, ther just doesn't seem to be that same edge of your seat type competition. A downhill race can be won by the smallest margins, a thousandth of a second, but the winner is clear. A judged competitor can win by the smallest of margins and it doesn't mean the same thing. Watching talent is fun but I get a big kick out of raw competition too.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
A race of any type is to me the purest form of competition. There are lots of people that say judged sports don't belong in the olympics but I don't agree. Take baseball for example, it is judged too but the judges are called umpires. They are constantly making judgement calls, ball, strike, safe, out, fair, foul, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the olympics.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BSEVEER said:
A race of any type is to me the purest form of competition. There are lots of people that say judged sports don't belong in the olympics but I don't agree. Take baseball for example, it is judged too but the judges are called umpires. They are constantly making judgement calls, ball, strike, safe, out, fair, foul, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the olympics.
Funny you should mention baseball - they recently eliminated it from the Olympics. :D

Jan 29, 2005
i disagree, when they had UCI wc dh on oln it was extremely professional, and really did remind me of a ski dh race, AND entertaining. IMO very equal in terms of skill and entertainment value.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dwaugh said:
I think DH Biking in the summer would be equal to DH skiing in the winter... though possibly even more entertaining.

When Dh is on open slopes you can film from top to bottom and they hit speeds in excess of 125km/h, I will agree. Until then, it's boring as hell to watch on TV.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Of course, even if it had the traits you outline I still think it would be boring. :D
Straight line big hits anb swooping corners at 125kmh could be pretty cool to watch. It's insane watching these freaks hit 135+ at sestriere - it'd be fun to watch once every 4 years...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
Straight line big hits anb swooping corners at 125kmh could be pretty cool to watch. It's insane watching these freaks hit 135+ at sestriere - it'd be fun to watch once every 4 years...
After thinking about it briefly, I think you're absolutely right. Watching every 4 years would be tolerable. And no style juding for the jumps. Fastest one wins.

I tried getting excited about XC skiing yesterday but despite really *wanting* to, I couldn't do it. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was watching the men's persuit yesterday in the Nordic Combined. that was pretty cool. ladies are on now.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
DH racing should be in the olympics. I dont see a good reason why it shouldnt be. Snowboard is fun to watch they throw down some crazy **** in slopestyle and halfpipe.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
Too many other "real" skiing events......... :D
I have to agree. I absolutely hate judged events (ie: any pipe event, figure skating etc). Boardercross, slalom etc are perfect snowboard events. Super G, slalom etc are better skiing events. I would support skier cross, as it is super fun to watch. to add it however, they would need to remove another event, which won't happen.

The olympics are about higher, faster stronger...not more synchronized, more choreographed and prettier to look at. No idea about curling, so don't ask!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i know many people will disagree with me on this, but if you look at a skier riding park, no matter how good they are, they never look like they are in control and they always land terribly. a halfpipe event for skiers will most likely go the way of surfing in the summer x-games. but thats just what i think, ive seen some talented skiers and they are great to watch but i still dont think it is olympic caliber stuff.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
American Shaun White has won gold in Snowboard half-pipe, and a fellow American has come second. Nice going guys. He's a Californian who is also a pro skater.