Quantcast

if snowboarding is an Olympic sport...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Freestyle skiing got totally wrecked by the FIS and the Olympics. Snowboarding is well on it's way. Watching a half pipe competition is like watching figure skating.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i was actually sort of bored watching the halfpipe comp. its just the same tricks, i cant do them, but i still would rather see something with more variation. thats why im looking forward to the boardercross race. no race will be the same and anything can happen which makes it exciting. although props to white and kass for coming in 1st and 2nd.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gnurider1080 said:
i was actually sort of bored watching the halfpipe comp. its just the same tricks, i cant do them, but i still would rather see something with more variation. thats why im looking forward to the boardercross race. no race will be the same and anything can happen which makes it exciting. although props to white and kass for coming in 1st and 2nd.
I was pretty bored too, although White's run was impressive as ****. He was beyond smooth and made everyone else look downright foolish.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I don't want DH to be an Olympic sport. It would be terrible if mountain biking got super popular and turned into what skateboarding is now. Think about all the 12 year olds who would run out and get Konas and then skid down all your trails.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
gnurider1080 said:
i know many people will disagree with me on this, but if you look at a skier riding park, no matter how good they are, they never look like they are in control and they always land terribly.
That's exactly what I was thinking about the snowboarders in the halfpipe competition tonight....... :think:

You mean to tell me the skiers land their tricks even *worse* than that?

Halfpipe must be more fun to do than watch, because it's positively a BORE to watch........ YMMV.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Transcend said:
Way more then in MTB. They have tournaments up here with $20k purses. It's retarded.
TORINO, Italy -- Our [USA] men's curling team smoked the defending gold medalists Monday morning, beating Norway 11-5.

the article goes on to talk about Kwan's pulling out, Miller and Rahlves' disappointing showing, and Ohno...

ESPN's Jim Caple said:
Add it up and you've got the withdrawal of the team's most recognizable athlete, the crash of the top female skier, the disappointing performance of the top two men in the premier skiing event and another ridiculous outcome for one of the most glamorous athletes on the team.

That thud you heard was either NBC's ratings or Ohno hitting the ice again.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
black noise said:
I don't want DH to be an Olympic sport. It would be terrible if mountain biking got super popular and turned into what skateboarding is now. Think about all the 12 year olds who would run out and get Konas and then skid down all your trails.
i don't really see that being a problem. almost any 12 year old can save up for a skateboard... not the same thing with a downhill bike.