Quantcast

If this hasn't been posted, I win

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is it legal? I'm sure you've heard about that little ISP snooping bill that was passed recently...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So if you knew your buddy robbed a bank and you spent some of the money, then you're totally innocent, huh?
Gray area, so far. In the bank robbing aspect, you'd technically be "receiving stolen property". No clue whether online streaming would count as "receiving" or not... MPAA/RIAA has primarily gone after the people offering media (in the case of Napster or bittorrent) instead of those receiving it since it's a much trickier case to prove "receiving". Also, the companies would have to prove that you didn't already have legal access to the media as well. If I download a movie but already owned the DVD, I (might be) in the clear. Again, gray area since media companies have tried to state that when you purchase media, you only purchase the right to view it in that medium, which goes against the Fair Use doctrine (originally started by people recording TV shows on VHS tapes).

Of course, with sites being hosted overseas it's far harder for the media companies/US Government to go after them, so.... they might come after you instead? They shut down channelsurfing.net, but to the best of my knowledge didn't go after anyone who was actually streaming content off of it. <shrug>

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
So if you knew your buddy robbed a bank and you spent some of the money, then you're totally innocent, huh?
I think it's more like your buddy robbed a bank, then decided to throw a party for his efforts and you showed up to enjoy the festivities.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Despite being at home on disability, I have a daily load of things to do do that doesn't allow me the time to screw around looking for ways to let me use my computer as a fancy TV.

I also undrstand that if people take products without paying for them, then there is no incentive for others to make more products. Legal or not, it is a self defeating system.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Despite being at home on disability, I have a daily load of things to do do that doesn't allow me the time to screw around looking for ways to let me use my computer as a fancy TV.

I also undrstand that if people take products without paying for them, then there is no incentive for others to make more products. Legal or not, it is a self defeating system.
And as long as there are people like you, people making movies will still make enough money for me not to care.