Quantcast

If you don't like reading...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I was reading in the kitchen at work and some people commented. Some don't read at all. One guy said he tried to and couldn't get into it, but wants his kids to.

If you don't read, give it a try. The escape it gives is as good as drugs, sex, and cycling :)

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
reading books isnt one of my strong points, its mostly the concentration aspect that kills me, but ill read the biking magazines from cover to cover maybe 3 or 4 times:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Everyone should read... it's an important life skill. It improves grammar, spelling, articulation, memory and teaches concentration.

Biking magazines are a start but I find most people that don't read just haven't found a style of writing or a particular writer that they jive with.

I used to read a ton. Less so lately, but I just bought a Koontz novel the other day as a bit of fluff to keep the habit alive.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i like reading, but i hate being to what to read. thusly, i hate my american lit. class. i like tom wolfe and hunter s thomson... and [wisper]dan brown[/wisper]

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dirtjumpP.1 said:
[wisper]dan brown[/wisper]
I enjoyed the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons wasn't bad, but jeez, did you read Digital Fortress? Total crap (IMO).

YMMV of course :D

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
binary visions said:
I enjoyed the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons wasn't bad, but jeez, did you read Digital Fortress? Total crap (IMO).

YMMV of course :D
i only read davinci code and angels and demons...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and I know it sucks being told what to read sometimes, but some novels are an important part of American literature. It's all part of expanding horizons and blah blah blah.

Suck it up, some day you'll be talking to someone, maybe even (gasp) a girl, who will appreciate that you've got some culture and class built on reading these books.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Reading is lame. The library is full of books and most of them have no pictures in them. To think I pay taxes to keep them open sucks. Complete waste. Just think of how many guns and bombs they could have bought with all the money they spend on f'n books.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
maybe even (gasp) a girl.
Uh...were you trying to give me advice on women:rofl:
Aaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahhahah!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahha!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigth.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
maxyedor said:
Digital Fortess was good but not great IMO
Deception Point was much better, but I will say Dan Brown should stick to pissing of religious folks. It makes better novels.
agreed. but i've enjoyed all four of his books. Opie was going to elaborate, but suddenly, he pressed submit.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Kopiklokoli said:
I never read Deception Point, but of the other 3 digital fortress was the worst. Now Im reading Invisible Man, it's pretty intense has anyone here read it?
Yeah, I had to read that in high school. Classic.

Like most people, I don't always like being told what to read but sometimes you are told to read some good stuff. Actually, a good amount of the stuff I try to read in my spare time is similar to what I am supposed to read for academic work.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm teaching my boy to read at the moment. Hope he grows up to love books. He reads a lot in Japanese already, be good if he enjoys it as much in English. Good thread Opie.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
SkaredShtles said:
I'm still working on Homer's Odyssey. I've lost track of how long I've been reading it. :think:

I'm fairly certain I've read a dozen other books in the meantime and *still* not finished The Odyssey. :D
You better get on it. Wanna know the ending?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
SkaredShtles said:
I'm still working on Homer's Odyssey. I've lost track of how long I've been reading it. :think:

I'm fairly certain I've read a dozen other books in the meantime and *still* not finished The Odyssey. :D
Thats one of my favorites, I've read that sucker about 3 times, but it takes almost a year every time. Mainly read it while on planes, 16 hours of reading will make a solid dent.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BurlyShirley said:
I have to read so much for school that I just dont do it for myself anymore.
:stupid: I've been slacking off this quarter, but in past quarters I've done about 400 pages a week, me being a very slow reader with ADD. I really have to force myself to read, it's just not something I enjoy that much. The only reason I do it is because of the knowledge gained through reading. On the other hand, I enjoy piecing together the knowledge that I do have and writing about it. Even if two things seem irrelevant, there is usually some context or underlying theme that binds them together, and I take pleasure in finding those themes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i used to read about 3000 pages a month. grad school has ground me into the dirt, and now i'm at about 20 pages a month (magazines don't count) :( . for better or worse reading gets sacrificed sooner than physical pastimes

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i enjoy reading tremendously.. but i cant read at work and when i get home im too busy.. so i ready at night before bed.. that lasts maybe 10 minutes and then Im sleeping..
give me a good book while camping and i will read it by a campfire for hours

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I love reading. Not having cable give you a lot of time to read ;)

I've been reading George R.R. Martin's series "A song of fire and ice", almost at the end of the 3rd book "A storm of swords".

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It's funny, people have to read this to tell us they don't read. I know what you mean by "read" but it's all relative to your perception. We all read in large amounts everyday and those of us who think they can't read are really dealing with another problem. Not reading is just the symptom. Anybody feel me? That's just my opinion. anyways, I read a ton. I love it. I read mags, books, Gods Word, the internet, street signs, between the lines. Reading is everywhere. Believe it. LIve life, read it.
I am currently reading Iron John by Robert Bly, Wild at Heart by John Eldredge, The Holy Bible-Galatians, and just wrapped up A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Reading is for sucks! (and rich people)

I read way too much for school, but have found I enjoy reading on the train ride to and from work. I am on the train an hour each way, so I have been goign through quite a few books.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I used to read an unbelievable amount as a child. Read pretty much every single book I own. Now I find that school often interferes with constructive reading and I am not able to learn things that I want to learn about. Rather I am forced to read about things that are not interesting and I could care less about. It is unfortunate.

I attribute my above average vocabulary and writing skills to having read more than my peers, though my english grades never reflected that.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
LordOpie said:
I was reading in the kitchen at work and some people commented. Some don't read at all. One guy said he tried to and couldn't get into it, but wants his kids to.

If you don't read, give it a try. The escape it gives is as good as drugs, sex, and cycling :)

I love to read. I have to read a ton of scientific literature for work though, and that cuts into my personal reading time. Which is why I'm questioning why I decided to start the Baroque Cycle recently. Those are some dense books, but a great read.