Quantcast

If you ever get the opportunity

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
to teach teens how to cook, I recomend taking it. The conversations alone would keep me entertained all night. But watching them try to learn knife skills, seasoning, food handling and cleaning are farking hilarious too.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
When cooking on a glass stove top, do NOT put the lid to a pot on a warm burner. My grandma accidentally put a lid with condensation on the inside on the burner. Said lid was suctioned to the burner causing the stovetop to crack.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
When cooking on a glass stove top, do NOT put the lid to a pot on a warm burner. My grandma accidentally put a lid with condensation on the inside on the burner. Said lid was suctioned to the burner causing the stovetop to crack.
Doh, the stove manual says NOT to do that.

I am probably the only one around that would actually read the manual that came with an appliance.

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
ok I'm confused, heated air expands, so how could it get suctioned to the stovetop? Unless you mean it sat on a warm burner until it cooled, which would mean the air would condense possibly creating a suction. If this was the case wouldn't you just be able to turn the burner back on for a second? This would heat the air and let it come off. Unless I suck at physics.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In jr. high I used to warm bottled spaghetti sauce directly (bottle) on the burner...walk away to take a dump one time, and the glass bottle blows up, splattering the kitchen with Ragu. Place looked like a crime scene. Still wondering why Mom got so mad...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sure but the damage would have already been done.

ok I'm confused, heated air expands, so how could it get suctioned to the stovetop? Unless you mean it sat on a warm burner until it cooled, which would mean the air would condense possibly creating a suction. If this was the case wouldn't you just be able to turn the burner back on for a second? This would heat the air and let it come off. Unless I suck at physics.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Maybe you forgot to flush?

In jr. high I used to warm bottled spaghetti sauce directly (bottle) on the burner...walk away to take a dump one time, and the glass bottle blows up, splattering the kitchen with Ragu. Place looked like a crime scene. Still wondering why Mom got so mad...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Isn't a manual like a wheelie ?

Good for you Laura.

Teaching is a way to pay back what you owe. I find it both rewarding and challenging. I didn't wake up one day with metalsmithing skills, I was taught and so I shall teach.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Laura don't owe anybody anything. Got that??? Good.

Just kids and animals. Everybody owes something to kids and animals.

As far as the taste testing is concerned, my kids kick ass. We had our end of the year Family Dinner in December and these kids designed the menu and cooked everything from scratch. Chicken noodle soup they made the stock first. Lasagna, they made the sauce and the Ricotta cheese. We didn't make the pasta, but I think we'll try that this semester. They made the bread as well. It all turned out great. Brings a tear to my eye.

Really most of them only come to class because they are hungry and they want to eat it in the end but some of them are really into learning to cook. They've started cooking at home with their families. It's really cool to hear their stories.