Quantcast

If you had $1500.....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Once I get the BMX race bike paid off, I'm going to get another road bike. My last (and only) road bike was an '03 Specialized Allez Elite. After a few adjustments, I liked the way the bike felt, but my hands would go numb from time to time.....ended up selling it. (If it matters, I'm barely 5'8" with a 30" inseam).

I have no plans to ever race. I do, however plan on doing 40-60 miles on a Saturday or Sunday, and another 20 miles once a week (I'll also spend at least one night a week at the BMX track and maybe another evening on the MTB)

Suggestions? Best value?

I have a good relationship with the Specialized dealer, but am not bound to buying a bike from him...

As usual, thanks to everyone on RM :monkeydance:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
If you have a good relationship with a Specialized Dealer, then the Allez Elite is a really good bike for 1100 or so. Decent spec, Tiagra/105 mix, and weight. For a little more (around 1600) the Roubaix compact is also a good deal with a full 105 drive train. Both bikes have carbon seat stays and full carbon forks.

For around 1900, the Tarmac and Roubaix Elite pick up full carbon frames with basically the same spec. I'd suggest the extra coin for a full carbon bike.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
What pains me is that my last bike was full 105 and cost under 1K. The prices seemed to have really went through the roof over the last few years....:nopity:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spec makes some nice bike but probably not the best value. Fuji makes some nice road bikes. For the same price you could probably get a better spec'd rig with similar ride qualities. I think Felt has some nicely priced rigs too.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
you might save up your money and look at used bikes as well

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I'd look for something steel. You're not a racer and don't aspire to be one...why pay racerboi prices? You can get something like a Soma Smoothie with Rival for less than $1500.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'd find a deal online, but sounds like you want to be at a shop so my vote is:

Riders looking for improved ride quality without breaking the bank have an answer in the Felt Z65. To our custom-butted aluminum frame we add a carbon fiber wishbone and a full carbon fiber fork to improve ride quality. To save weight we use a 20-speed drivetrain featuring Ultegra control levers and derailleurs and a compact crankset for maximum gear range. On group rides, you’ll challenge like never before.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'd find a deal online, but sounds like you want to be at a shop so my vote is:

Riders looking for improved ride quality without breaking the bank have an answer in the Felt Z65. To our custom-butted aluminum frame we add a carbon fiber wishbone and a full carbon fiber fork to improve ride quality. To save weight we use a 20-speed drivetrain featuring Ultegra control levers and derailleurs and a compact crankset for maximum gear range. On group rides, you’ll challenge like never before.
I was just checking out the specs on that thing. Looks like a nice bike at a decent price!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The felt would have more ultegra than that. The Specialized would be full carbon frames.

With a pretty close to complete revamp of the Giant Road line, there will be some killer deals coming for TCRs and OCRs. An OCR3 msrps right at 1900 with full carbon and 105 with r600 compact. Or a TCR C3 is pretty much the same with Tiagra brakes being the only downgrade from 105.

The Trek is nice but there's better value to be had.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Getting a good value is important but as your first road bike experience should have shown you is that fit is most important. You will probably be better off getting a bike with lower spec'd parts that fits you better. Unless you have spent enough time on different bikes that you can pick a winner from geometry numbers I'd avoid an internet order.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Getting a good value is important but as your first road bike experience should have shown you is that fit is most important. You will probably be better off getting a bike with lower spec'd parts that fits you better. Unless you have spent enough time on different bikes that you can pick a winner from geometry numbers I'd avoid an internet order.
I wholeheartedly agree. I want to make a well researched, informed decision. I want to sit on the bike, ride the bike, and if possible do 20 or so on it if the shop will let me (I'm pretty sure the owner of the local Spec dealer would go for that - I've spent "a few bucks" in his store).

I'm a big fan of Giant's. They seem to offer great "bang for the buck". The local dealer is so small however that they don't have much inventory for me to try and the next closest dealer (who is also the closest Felt dealer) is a place that I won't personally do business with.

Looks like I have some driving to do.....