Quantcast

If you had 2800 bones to drop

BooRadley

Chimp
Mar 25, 2009
Kirkland
And you wanted the best bang for the buck on a bike that you MUST climb on what would you look for? I'm thinking the `10 Enduro (low end) as that'll let me be agressive in jumps and drops and has a nice slack HT angle, while still a pretty good climber for the wiehgt. Anyone have any thoughts for a bike that will handle the NW, Collanade, Galby, etc? Again this will be my only bike so it needs to climb pretty well.

-B

smccon02

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I have a Giant Reing X1 that I'm totaly happy doing everything the NW has to offer. It's my do it all bike. I can hit the most advanced line at Colonnade and can also take it on some epic rides like Palisades and Suntop.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I second that Giant. Everyone that I know that has one won't shut up about how nice the bike is for climbs and decents.

I also recommend looking at the Yeti seven. You can put a 6-7" fork in the front and it still climbs amazingly well.

BooRadley

Chimp
Mar 25, 2009
Kirkland
I know it sounds fickle but I've been saving up for a while and just want a new bike as that was my goal so thx bikepunk but I'll pass. Anyone know the weight of an x1?

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I know it sounds fickle but I've been saving up for a while and just want a new bike as that was my goal so thx bikepunk but I'll pass. Anyone know the weight of an x1?
Thats one sweet deal really I don't think you can find much better. Leave the 1400 in your pocket and you can get a singlespeed AND a dirt jumper for what you have left over. Or pads and new helmet, glasses etc.

The only thing I can find that is PERSONAL would be the pedals as I have my fav. I don't think your going to find a build like that anywhere on a shop floor and if you do it will be in your 2800 range.

I understand the need of a "new bike" but there are no more "new" Sundays for sale that I know of and yet I know plenty of people who would buy one in an instant. If I was in the market I would snap that Giant up, its a great bike to sit between your hardtail and your DH bike (if that applies)
Good luck hunting, but I think you already found the jewel, besides first time you ride a "new" bike it won't be so new anymore so if that first ride is worth 1400 bucks to you then go for it, but thats another bike with what you save.

BooRadley

Chimp
Mar 25, 2009
Kirkland
Thx guys, I think since this will be my only rig that I need to look at something a bit lighter than the reign although i went and hopped on one at montlake today and it felt really burly. I need to ride pretty much everything on this which seems to be the issue with AM bikes.

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I ride an enduro and love the bike, it does everything, but if you have 2800, I wouldn't spend them buying the low end Enduro. Right now is a good time tto buy as the 2010 models are coming up so you can get killer deals on higher end models.

Go to Bicycle Centers is Everett, they have really good deals going on. With those 2800 you can probably jump on a top model of the stumpjumper.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
you can buy a high end budget bike for 2800, but the full meal deal will cost you around 5.000 USD. I don't think you can find a better all around bike than the Trek Remedy-that is if you want to ride technical trails and all around XC trails. The Remedy is an enduro-killer. BTW, there's an 08 at Bicycle Centers of Everett for sale at a good price. Or, check out the Banchee Wildcard or Brodie Pariah; the Pariah is a sweet bike. Oops, I saw the new Cove Hustler this weekend; very nice; check out the new line up. Transition has a new bike that replaced the Covert; btw, the Covert is a good choice and excellent value. please remit payment for my brokers services in a timely fashion; bty, Yeti has some good stuff going; with 2800, you can buy an Intense frame; their new lineup is killer.

marz

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Spokangeles
Santa Cruz Nomad is a great choice for all mountain goodness. Mine is 33lbs with a full coil suspension setup (Fox 36 Van RC2 up front and DHX4 in back). You can bring the bike in under 30lbs if you set it up with air suspension and XC components. I ride the preston trail at tiger all the time, 1,700 feet up and about the same down. The bike climbs like my 25lb 3 inch travel XC bike but descends like a downhill rig. Although the preston descent is pretty tame I've been out to 38 with it and it rips.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
dont buy a bike off the showroom floor, let someone else take that depreciation hit.
I have a 08 trek fuel ex8, great climber and all day bike. currently have it set up almost XC racerish but also had a chainguide and 2.5's on it at one point. it handles awesome on the more techy XC trails but on steeper trails i could really use some extra travel. i love the geometry and handling. but after riding a remedy i think that would have been a better choice for an all around bike for me. I'd say just wait for an insane deal to come up on one of a few bikes you are looking at. ride it and if you like it then jump on it. $2800 will buy a hell of a lot of bike that is like a season old and barely broken in.

Last edited: