Quantcast

If you had $50 to spend at Best Buy, what would you get?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
LordOpie said:
me too.

Tho my PC is broken. Fans on the powersupply -and- heatsink seem to be dead.
Not good.

Details? Yo BV - jump in here..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
H8R said:
Not good.

Thanks man.

No details to really give. I figured I'd replace 'em and see what happens. The heatsink fan is old (OEM) and runs really really slow, so I figure it's the fan itself. I only briefly inspected for an obstruction.

I haven't had time to explore the problem further.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
LordOpie said:
well, I find it useful. Granted, i've never used it on my mtb, but just about every road ride.

I just don't understand what they are for. What use is it when you know what your heart rate is?

I want a CB, but apparently they don't sell them at Best Buy :nuts:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
Not good.

Missed that post :think:

I'd probably gamble on replacing the power supply with something really decent, first. The fact that both fans died sounds systemic to me, but a flakey power supply might cause the heatsink fan to not turn on or to burn out. If that's the case, though, the whole system isn't getting proper power and who knows what else might be busy cooking.

Probably wouldn't turn it on again until you replace the power supply. And then don't spend less than $40 on a new power supply - besides, it'll be good if it turns out your system is cooked to have a nice power supply to throw in the new system.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and make sure you make some backups the minute you get it up and running again in case the whole thing s**ts the bed, which a bad power supply can easily cause to happen.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BigMike said:
I just don't understand what they are for. What use is it when you know what your heart rate is?
I like to keep my HR at a low level 120-130 during the first 30 minutes and gradually bring it up to 145-150 for the majority of my ride. I also like knowing what my HR is on sprint/hammers and know to reduce effort a little when I hit 165... cuz I'll puke at 175.

It's also nice to know how much I've improved. When I first started cycling, puke zone was 160.

Is it critical? Nah, but I now know where my optimum zones are and use it to stay there for whatever effort I'm trying for.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
merrrrjig said:
id buy a dvd burner, if there that cheap now, or a wireless modem
What's a "wireless modem"?

edit: just realized I might have come off sounding like I'm picking on you. I'm not, just curious as to what you actually mean.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
What's a "wireless modem"?

edit: just realized I might have come off sounding like I'm picking on you. I'm not, just curious as to what you actually mean.
My girl has one for her work laptop PC... she connects to the home office via Verizon. She can upload orders, check inventory, etc. from a clients location.

But I can't imagine that Mike would need that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
I gots both of those.... I'm waiting for the Dual Layer DVD burners to come down in price :D
You can get a 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer burner for $40 online right now. How much further down do you want them to go? :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
My girl has one for her work laptop PC... she connects to the home office via Verizon. She can upload orders, check inventory, etc. from a clients location.
Well, that's really just a cellular modem with an integrated WiFi card. I've used 'em - they'd be great if the cellular network wasn't so slow. But buying the modem doesn't give you the service, you have to buy that from Verizon. I was just curious if he really meant a wireless (cellular) modem or something like a wireless network card.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
McGRP01 said:
Hookers and blow.

The universal answer to all of life's questions.
While I agree with you, for $50 it's going to have to be one or the other. Buy blow, cut it, resell, then implement said plan.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Personally...I would buy Season 3 of Charmed or Season 2 of The L Word, but somehow I'm guessing that neither of those are at the top of your list.

So maybe DVD's, put it towards an iPod Nano, video games, software for the computer, a backup exteranal drive for the computer.