Quantcast

If you hate this administration...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
You have utterly no idea what your talking about do you! :rofl:
Yeah, must admit, I had a quiet little chuckle at that too. I mean if sierra Leone, for example, applys sanctions against America, then America ceases to be a sovereign nation???

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
And I wouldn't put it past those crazy bastards. America should take 'em out before it's too late
Don't mock the Sierra Leoninians, they are masterful knife fighters and we'd certainly be more in danger if we got on the wrong side of 'em, being a sovereign nation and all.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
A little help for you DB's.

Taken from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sovereignty/

Sovereignty
First published Sat May 31, 2003; substantive revision Wed Jun 18, 2003
Sovereignty, though its meanings have varied across history, also has a core meaning, supreme authority within a territory. It is a modern notion of political authority. Historical variants can be understood along three dimensions -- the holder of sovereignty, the absoluteness of sovereignty, and the internal and external dimensions of sovereignty. The state is the political institution in which sovereignty is embodied. An assemblage of states forms a sovereign states system.

Iraq had this at one time, but cannot have this with sanctions placed against it.

Iraq is not a soverign entity.....period.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
A little help for you DB's.

Taken from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sovereignty/

Sovereignty
First published Sat May 31, 2003; substantive revision Wed Jun 18, 2003
Sovereignty, though its meanings have varied across history, also has a core meaning, supreme authority within a territory. It is a modern notion of political authority. Historical variants can be understood along three dimensions -- the holder of sovereignty, the absoluteness of sovereignty, and the internal and external dimensions of sovereignty. The state is the political institution in which sovereignty is embodied. An assemblage of states forms a sovereign states system.

Iraq had this at one time, but cannot have this with sanctions placed against it.

Iraq is not a soverign entity.....period.
Just don't see where that definition supports your claim.

Iraq is no longer a soverign entity, because the US has "supreme authority within [the] territory." But not because of sanctions.

sanctions:
5 : an economic or military coercive measure adopted usually by several nations in concert for forcing a nation violating international law to desist or yield to adjudication
What we are doing in Iraq is an occupation.

3 a : the act or process of taking possession of a place or area : SEIZURE b : the holding and control of an area by a foreign military force c : the military force occupying a country or the policies carried out by it
That is why they are not soverign.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Just don't see where that definition supports your claim.

Iraq is no longer a soverign entity, because the US has "supreme authority within [the] territory." But not because of sanctions.

What we are doing in Iraq is an occupation.

That is why they are not soverign.
Ok Rick,

The bases for this arguement is from an earlier post stating that we invaded a soverign nation,,,,,,,not true. Also, take off the blinders and look at the BOLD EPHIN PRINT! Iraq did not have the "supreme authority" in its own nation. The UN did.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Ok Rick,

The bases for this arguement is from an earlier post stating that we invaded a soverign nation,,,,,,,not true. Also, take off the blinders and look at the BOLD EPHIN PRINT! Iraq did not have the "supreme authority" in its own nation. The UN did.
So based on that definition, is any nation really soverign? Don't all civilized nations defer to the UN? Even the US?

What about the US's slogan "One nation under God?" Aren't we all deferring to the "supreme authority" of our higher power?

Just where is the EPHIN line on soverignty anyhow?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
295,734,134 U.S. Citizens from all ethnic backgrounds and we still have two dominating parties and no black Pres??? I know this has been discussed here before, but I think voting Independent, Green, or just about any party other than Dumbocrats/ Repugnantcans could be what’s best for us all. Speaking on a long term basis, of course.

I too will be voting my conscious
congratulations, you just not only threw your vote away, but possibly helped elect someone who's views are MORE divergent from your own.

face it, the way our electoral process is set up NO 3rd party is viable on a federal level. Perot got almost 20% of the vote and ZERO electoral votes. local elections are a slightly different matter, but without the national support, money and resources, any successes are barely blips on the radar screen.

the *only* way to institute real change is to figure out which party reflects your views closest, become a member, and WORK FOR CHANGE WITHIN THAT PARTY. the religious right didn't form their own party, they worked to change the republican party to fit their own ideas. I know that's a lot harder than pulling a 3rd party lever and feeling good about yourself, but that's why the republicans control all three branches of government now and the left wing has... the green party.

:plthumbsdown:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Ok Rick,

Throughout this thread, you've shown yourself to be borderline retarded....:twitch:

The UN didn't have control of sh*t in Iraq. They had "investigators" there....Please, Hans Blixx...yeah...he had supreme authority...

I suppose France isn't sovereign either cause they haven't split as many Muslim heads as they could've, huh?

Here's a hand-out for ya since you seem to need one: gynecologist

VB said:
Don't mock the Sierra Leoninians, they are masterful knife fighters and we'd certainly be more in danger if we got on the wrong side of 'em, being a sovereign nation and all.
I prefer the Flying Lobster Claw attack that was perfected by the Ivory Coastanese.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ok Rick,

Supreme authority WITHIN IT'S OWN TERRITORY doofus - Sanctions stop things coming in. What has that got to do with anything inside the territory? :bonk:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Would you prefer a Democrat lead House, Senate and Excutive in 2008?

Can some of the monstrous policy be fixed in a relatively short-term or would the Dems agenda push things just as stupid, just as far?
Ok....back on topic.

I don't mind a Republican PotUS as long as it's balanced by a Democratic House and/or Senate.

Pretty much, I'll be pleased as spam-in-a-can as long as there's someone in the big house in WADC that doesn't make 62% of the public do this :banghead: on a daily basis.