Quantcast

if you rip a cd with iTunes...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Actually, it has been my experience that if you burn an audio CD from iTunes, any DRM that might have been on a file is stripped. Because if you then re-import the audio CD you just burned back to mp3 or even m4a, the protection is gone.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
When you burn an audio CD, you convert all the files to .cda format and any DRM that was present will be stripped. But certain DRM schemes are setup to prevent you doing this, by either outright scrambling the signal or by randomly adding incorrect checksums to add further imperfections as you continue to make copies of that song. Which after a certain number of generations will make the recording useless.

There is one that progressively gets worse as you play the CD and by about 50% of the way through is completely scrambled.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
grundy said:
...doe iTunes add DRM?
no, no DRM whatsoever on songs that you rip.

DRM is only on songs you buy from the iTunes Music Store.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
There is one that progressively gets worse as you play the CD and by about 50% of the way through is completely scrambled.
Would that only be supported by certain cd players? I've never heard of this before but I had burned a few CD's in the past with music from P2P networks and they would do exactly what you described, but only in 1 friends car, I believe it was a kenwood.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
Toshi said:
no, no DRM whatsoever on songs that you rip.

DRM is only on songs you buy from the iTunes Music Store.

great, that's what I thought but wanted to check. thanks for the answer.

btw, do you rip with iTunes, if so do you take the default settings? I've always ripped with EAC/LAME in the past, but thought I'd give this aac thing a try.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
dfinn said:
Would that only be supported by certain cd players? I've never heard of this before but I had burned a few CD's in the past with music from P2P networks and they would do exactly what you described, but only in 1 friends car, I believe it was a kenwood.
I did it on my Sony with a backup I made of Paul's Boutique. I am not sure if it is built into the hardware or the CD itself though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
grundy said:
great, that's what I thought but wanted to check. thanks for the answer.

btw, do you rip with iTunes, if so do you take the default settings? I've always ripped with EAC/LAME in the past, but thought I'd give this aac thing a try.
i rip to Apple Lossless Codec actually. barring that i'd use 192+ kbps mp3 or aac.