Quantcast

If you run a 12 in the back, what chain ?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a 12 toother and my normal chain doesn't fit. I happened to have a Shadow half link that works fine.

However, I want to ride a frame that has vertical dropouts, so I'll need to use a tensioner. My shadow chain doesn't fit the roller part of my tensioner.

Thoughts/suggestions...?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Is the Spank less heavy duty? Seems like the Shadow chains are over built. Even my Shadow chain breaker broke, trying to break the chain.....

on a side note, what chain breaker do you use.:D

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Could your 12t cog be 1/8in? That could explain it. If so, I'd just get a 12t 3/32cog, and that would solve your trouble with the tensioner.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Sittingduck, is the chain you mentioned the one you run with a 12 toother?
I've run it with a 16, a 12, an 11, a 10 and an 8. Nice sturdy chain, for cheap. You don't break the bank replacing it often. I usually get a new one every couple of months, depending on how much I've been riding.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
K710SL is the best chain ever.

With that said, I run a Shadow halflink on my STP, and a 510 on the BMX for now.

Will be upgrading to a 710SL when I get new frame.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Turns out I have one of those KMC 410H chains. However, it's too thick to fit into the roller of my DMR chain tensioner.... I don't know if I can grind/cut/hack the wheel/roller thing to make the chain fit. I don't have access to any decent tools right now.

Zenkis14 - what tensioner are you using on your STP?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Seems like I've run into that before.... should have bought a Rennen!
Maybe if you can rob a roller off of an old chain guide or something?