Quantcast

If you smoke, you're fired!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
JSB said:
DHDiva brought up a good point. All these freaking allergy prone people. I have them in my own family. My 4 year old is on zertec. Talk about healthcare cost. Where was all this crap when I was growing up. We have commercials for a ton of allergies out there now. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is trying to get prescription allergy meds. because the sneeze.
Just to clarify, I am not for every tom dick and harry getting prescription meds because they sneeze. I have some allergies, but only to non-natural things (ie cigarette smoke, perfumes, the preservatives in contact solutions). All of those things can be controlled 99% of the time by not using the product, and trying to remove yourself from prolonged exposure. I believe this is part of the reason Claritan went OTC. It works for most mild, non life threatening allergies. I personally don't want to be medicated and only rarely take OTC claritan.

But people with life threatening allergies, how is it any different to give them access to medication than it is to say give a diabetic insulin?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

And the population is playing right along......

Patient: Hey Doc - I seem to have a cold. Can you give me some of the good antibiotics? Yeah - the stuff that costs an arm and a leg. My insurance has a cheap-a$$ co-pay, so give me the good stuff.
...S.-
this is a great anecdotal piece really but, stop and think if you or anyone you know does this? I haven't, and I don't know anyone who has.

so where did you pull this one out of, and how can you even begin to pass that off as something "the population" does?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
SkaredShtles said:
Ummm......... have you looked at the premiums for married w/children folks vs. single people? I think you'll see that they're paying more.........

If not, I wanna work for *your* company. :D

-S.S.-
Yes, there are a difference in premiums but they can be skewed at times. A company I worked for had a single, married, and family plan. You paid a little bit more but it was the same weather it was one or five kids....I find it hard to believe that if you only carried a single person policy the rates for that the policy rate would stay the exact same as if you carried all the other plans.

I was also referring to the fact that I don't plan on having children so won't cost the insurance company all the money associated with pregnancy and delivery, mainly all the costs one racks up before they have to start paying the extra preminum, so why can't I get a reduction in my costs and be on a "non-pregancy" plan? Just because insurance companies don't currently base rates on such a thing (because it's against the law) doesn't mean that those don't ulitimately add into my heatlh care and premium costs.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

And the population is playing right along......

Patient: Hey Doc - I seem to have a cold. Can you give me some of the good antibiotics? Yeah - the stuff that costs an arm and a leg. My insurance has a cheap-a$$ co-pay, so give me the good stuff.

Doctor: Your cold is viral. Antibiotics will do nothing.

Patient: Well I can't very well just do *nothing* about it........ give me some of those antibiotics, dammit.

-S.S.-
how come there are so many unhealty people in the united states (can't speak for elsewhere...).

everyone that I know that goes to the doctor for some medical issue NEVER gets told to "eat right and excercise". they are given pills.

:nuts:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
pnj said:
how come there are so many unhealty people in the united states (can't speak for elsewhere...).

everyone that I know that goes to the doctor for some medical issue NEVER gets told to "eat right and excercise". they are given pills.

Oh, the doctors are DEFINITELY part of the problem.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
clancy98 said:
this is a great anecdotal piece really but, stop and think if you or anyone you know does this? I haven't, and I don't know anyone who has.

so where did you pull this one out of, and how can you even begin to pass that off as something "the population" does?
http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medicine/antibiotic_overuse.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/kids/aboveruse.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10585974

Seems that someone is doing it.................

-S.S.-

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
UiUiUiUi said:
maybe lack/absence of health insurance for a LOT of people?

was that in referance to my question about so many unhealthy people?

If so, I was reffering to the ones that go to the doctor and are given pills. if they didn't have insurance they may not be at the doctors office and they definitly wouldn't be buying drugs from them....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Velocity Girl said:
<snip>I was also referring to the fact that I don't plan on having children so won't cost the insurance company all the money associated with pregnancy and delivery, mainly all the costs one racks up before they have to start paying the extra preminum, so why can't I get a reduction in my costs and be on a "non-pregancy" plan?
Naw - it's because you'll sign up for that plan and then 5 years later you'll tell 'em you changed your mind........... :p

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pnj said:

I'm pretty sure it's because they ask for the pills. Or the doctors have become conditioned to provide pills because that results in happy patients.

America is all about "better living through chemistry".........

-S.S.-

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
DH Diva said:
Just to clarify, I am not for every tom dick and harry getting prescription meds because they sneeze. I have some allergies, but only to non-natural things (ie cigarette smoke, perfumes, the preservatives in contact solutions). All of those things can be controlled 99% of the time by not using the product, and trying to remove yourself from prolonged exposure. I believe this is part of the reason Claritan went OTC. It works for most mild, non life threatening allergies. I personally don't want to be medicated and only rarely take OTC claritan.

But people with life threatening allergies, how is it any different to give them access to medication than it is to say give a diabetic insulin?
Just to clarify, I wasn't picking on you directly. Just in general my PCP told me that he see's more people trying to get on alegra or zertec than anything else. And since Claritan went OTC healthcare providers are making it where you have to try claritan for a month before they will let doctors give you something like zertec. I'm just pointing out that there are tons of people with allergies, and it would be sad if this guy fire every one who had them because of his precious healthcare profit margins.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Interesting. A friend of mine with a family had to take a smoking test in order to getr a life insurance policy. I don't know how common it is, but it looks like there may be a new (and healthy) trend developing.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
SkaredShtles said:
Naw - it's because you'll sign up for that plan and then 5 years later you'll tell 'em you changed your mind........... :p

-S.S.-

Oh hell no!!! I have 3 kids of the 4 legged variety and that's about all I can handle :p

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
JSB said:
PCP told me that he see's more people trying to get on alegra or zertec than anything else. And since Claritan went OTC healthcare providers are making it where you have to try claritan for a month before they will let doctors give you something like zertec.
OK I'll use this as an opening to rant. I've been taking allergy medication for over 25 years. I took Actifed when it was a scrip drug. Same w/Tavist D and Claritin. I haven't bothered to count how many prescription drugs I took that have since been banned for ill effects. I have had endoscopic sinus surgery for polyps related to allergies.

Anyhow, Claritin will not do ANYTHING for my allergies. I mean NOTHING. Allegra works. Singulair seems to be working (yes, it's an asthma drug, but approved for allergy treatment). Each of these is a "tier 2" med on our insurance plan, meaning I pay more than I would for a generic, but less than I would for a "tier 3" (like Nasonex). So, in order to access treatment that works, I have to pay more than someone who responds to Claritin or another OTC, or (if one exists) generic.

BTW, did you say your 4yo is on Zyrtec? Does he/she have any behavioral problems? Zyrtec is magical for allergies but it was psychoactive for me. Studies have shown, and I was a textbook case, it can cause irritability. I've experimented plenty w/all kinds of dope, but Zyrtec was a 1st-class mind-altering med. I actually enjoyed taking it before work because I was very assertive. . . but I stopped 'cuz I would yell at my wife and kids (not worth it by any means). I know every med has different effects on different people. . . I hope there is no negative impact on your child.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Fathead said:
OK I'll use this as an opening to rant. I've been taking allergy medication for over 25 years. I took Actifed when it was a scrip drug. Same w/Tavist D and Claritin. I haven't bothered to count how many prescription drugs I took that have since been banned for ill effects. I have had endoscopic sinus surgery for polyps related to allergies.

Anyhow, Claritin will not do ANYTHING for my allergies. I mean NOTHING. Allegra works. Singulair seems to be working (yes, it's an asthma drug, but approved for allergy treatment). Each of these is a "tier 2" med on our insurance plan, meaning I pay more than I would for a generic, but less than I would for a "tier 3" (like Nasonex). So, in order to access treatment that works, I have to pay more than someone who responds to Claritin or another OTC, or (if one exists) generic.

BTW, did you say your 4yo is on Zyrtec? Does he/she have any behavioral problems? Zyrtec is magical for allergies but it was psychoactive for me. Studies have shown, and I was a textbook case, it can cause irritability. I've experimented plenty w/all kinds of dope, but Zyrtec was a 1st-class mind-altering med. I actually enjoyed taking it before work because I was very assertive. . . but I stopped 'cuz I would yell at my wife and kids (not worth it by any means). I know every med has different effects on different people. . . I hope there is no negative impact on your child.

That surgery...is that where they basically go up into the sinus cavities and more or less clean them out. My co-worker had this done, and said it helped quite a bit. He had some serious sinus pain. He said some times it would darn near make him cry.

I haven't seen the zertec effects yet, but thanks for the heads up. I have noticed that if I correct him on something he throws a little fit like it was the end of the world, and come to think of it I'm not so sure he did that before. Thanks alot...now I'm going to be watching for anything thinking it's the zertec. lol. Where did you read that. I'd like to ask his doc about that.
What's crazy about my allergies, is some seasons I cut the grass and I start sneezing so uncontrollable(sp) and my eyes would swell up almost where I could not see. I took allegra that season. It's worked great. Next spring I had zero problems and didn't even get it refilled. Anyway...thanks,

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
JSB said:
That surgery...is that where they basically go up into the sinus cavities and more or less clean them out. . .

I haven't seen the zertec effects yet, but thanks for the heads up. I have noticed that if I correct him on something he throws a little fit like it was the end of the world, and come to think of it I'm not so sure he did that before. Thanks alot...now I'm going to be watching for anything thinking it's the zertec. lol. Where did you read that.
Yes, the sinus surgery was "day-surgery". . . in at 6am, out by 2pm. General anesthesia. The CATscan showed polyps throughout much of the upper sinuses, and in the airways, restricting both breathing and drainage. The doc said they were "heinous" and took out a whole lotta tissue. Recovery is a bitch, but breathing is nice!

You can read up on Zyrtec side effects at rxlist.com or askapatient.com, for trials and patient reviews. Apparently most people who have a problem just get drowsy. But irritability showed up in at leat 1 kids study, and is also cited directly by patients. If it works for your kid and the side effects are minimal, that's great. For me as a patient the mood-altering effect was remarkable. But again, people react differently to substances.

Your lawnmowing experience sounds like a common one. Grass/weed/tree allergies can be developed and/or defeated by exposure.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Fathead said:
Yes, the sinus surgery was "day-surgery". . . in at 6am, out by 2pm. General anesthesia. The CATscan showed polyps throughout much of the upper sinuses, and in the airways, restricting both breathing and drainage. The doc said they were "heinous" and took out a whole lotta tissue. Recovery is a bitch, but breathing is nice!

You can read up on Zyrtec side effects at rxlist.com or askapatient.com, for trials and patient reviews. Apparently most people who have a problem just get drowsy. But irritability showed up in at leat 1 kids study, and is also cited directly by patients. If it works for your kid and the side effects are minimal, that's great. For me as a patient the mood-altering effect was remarkable. But again, people react differently to substances.

Your lawnmowing experience sounds like a common one. Grass/weed/tree allergies can be developed and/or defeated by exposure.

Ouch...sounds a little painful to me. Thanks for the sites. I think I'm going to check that out.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
you're kidding right? those were all about CHILDREN abusing ANTIBIOTICS and the only factual information was this:

**Every year, your family probably faces its share of colds, sore throats, and flus. When you bring your child to the doctor for these illnesses, do you automatically expect a prescription for antibiotics?**

real stellar case there.

are you suggesting that these kids "go to their doctors and tell them they need drugs"?

And as for the people bitching better living through chemistry, if you all had ever had a history class you'd know that some of the earliest doctors WERE chemists (alchemists) so if you dont like it

GO BACK TO THE WITCH DOCTOR HIPPY

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
JSB said:
That surgery...is that where they basically go up into the sinus cavities and more or less clean them out. My co-worker had this done, and said it helped quite a bit. He had some serious sinus pain. He said some times it would darn near make him cry.
Back in the day before drugs for this stuff, Darwin would have eventually taken care of the issue....... :D

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
clancy98 said:
you're kidding right? those were all about CHILDREN abusing ANTIBIOTICS and the only factual information was this:

**Every year, your family probably faces its share of colds, sore throats, and flus. When you bring your child to the doctor for these illnesses, do you automatically expect a prescription for antibiotics?**

real stellar case there.
Didn't read the last cite, eh, numbnuts? :rolleyes:

are you suggesting that these kids "go to their doctors and tell them they need drugs"?
No. But I'm suggesting their parents do. And I'm also going to go out on a really long limb and say if the parents ask for antib- for their kids, they're gonna do it for themselves.

And as for the people bitching better living through chemistry, if you all had ever had a history class you'd know that some of the earliest doctors WERE chemists (alchemists) so if you dont like it
There are no doubt amazing things being done in the pharmaceutical arena. I'm just saying that it's kind of silly to take drugs for a condition that is *KNOWN* not to be affected by said chemicals.

And someone mentioned that alot of doctors aren't unwilling participants in the whole mess............

-S.S.-

Evan Martin

Chimp
May 4, 2004
Well, this is kinda late, but better late then never.
Weren't the employees fired for refusing to take the smoking test, and not because they did smoke? This does throw a bit of a spin on it, as they could have been fired legally for refusing the test, regardless of whether they smoked or not.

P.S. Lungs are called vital organs for a reason.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Echo said:
Man that kicks so much ass. I wanna work for that company.
ya but useing that same logic, you could be firered for riding bikes, eating too much, drinking 'too' much, personally i dont think that it is far.