Quantcast

If you were going to buy a new flat pedal right now...

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I love my A-Frames shape and grip, but they're older and now on my BMX bike. 180 bucks for the mag/ti version seems a little steep for an upgrade, and I want something in the 400-500g range. I've searched.

If you were going to buy a new flat pedal right now with weight and flatness as considerations, which would it be?

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
i am riding on primo pro pedals(sealed) right now there great! i think there flat for the most part, maybe just a slight curve but you should like them!
go to www.danscomp.com go to pedals and scroll down to the primo tenderizers(sealed) you can also get the unsealed in(red,blue,gold,)

what do you mean by 400-500g range?money

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't know how much AirCorps weigh, but i figure they're lighter than the JimCs i used (with a few longer pins per side). i like them both, with a herringbone sole. wasn't too much a fan of a waffle sole with the AirCorps.

ryan, he means weight.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
biker3 said:
flat boys is where its at. No one can touch Easton's grip. Specialized low pros are real nice too, they're about the lowest profile pedal out there but they have real good grip.
:stupid:

flat boys grip like no other.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Truvativ Holzfeller pedals are awesome, and the Specialized low pro is awesome as well. With many years of experience around Primo Tenderizers, I must advise, do not get them. The spindles bend really easily, the bearings don't last, and the pins are a pain to replace. They are very concave, but not really a great pedal. Truvativ or Specialized, 5.10 or cheap Van's shoes. Pink band-aids.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dhkid said:
they dont really grip well unless you run 5.10.s even with the long pins. otherwise really bling!
speaking from personal experience i assume ??? my experience with 5 10s is that i always prefer shorter pedal pins as the long one are just too grippy...

you mean that there are other shoes than 5 10s ??? :)

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I just got the 50/50's and they seem to grip well with plain ole' vans . I'm liking them so far, 3 short rides with lots of sprinting.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
partsbara said:
speaking from personal experience i assume ??? my experience with 5 10s is that i always prefer shorter pedal pins as the long one are just too grippy...

you mean that there are other shoes than 5 10s ??? :)
5 10s and cullys with long pins are the bomb, who needs clipless.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
the new specialized pedals rock.. i havent bought them yet but have ridden them. I am more than happy with my atom labs though

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
What about lightweight pedals? The bike I'm using them on is on a diet for 4X and a snappier feel, so I can't just get any pair of boat-anchor flats.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
How 'bout Tioga MX Pro pedals? They do have concave but they're comfy and super grippy even in Vans. EDIT: Plus they're really light.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
I decided to try this new dk pedal for this season, its called distortion. they have a mag ti version which i got for about 100 bucks from dans comp. i dont have much time on em yet because of the winter here but i do like them, the ti spindle is 14 mm and beef. ti nitraded to, the pic i posted is the cro mo one with out the gold bling. the only thing i have found that i dislike is i feel like there should be like two or four more pins on the inside of the pedal, just the feel is kinda strange with out them, i have considered drilling and tapping two more and will if grip becomes a issue over the next season. but so far i think it is just different feeling, not a bad thing though. The nicest thing is the mag/ti version is under a pound!

http://www.dkbicycles.com/parts/parts.html
go to parts and pedals distortion

http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=465029

I have been known to be really hard on pedals, and have essentially given up on riding low profile race pedals simply because spindles and bearings that small just havent held up. heres some pedals i have had major issues with.

flatboys, have had two sets, awesome feel and craftsmenship but neither set lasted more than a season, bearings blew up like a grenade on both sets and the bodys exploded off taken hardware with, and they werent good about spare parts.
aircorps sick pedals but basically had the exact same issues as the flatboys.
holzfellars. rode em for two weeks before the completely died, bearings siezed, body crunched everything just bad. talked to truvative, said they would warrenty them, sent em off and never heard from them again.
trailpimps. these were sick pedals, i really liked the design, but on the fifth ride on them a rock came up and broke one of the cross beams on the body, the pedal felll apart after that, but i dont blame em. it was at whistler and i just nailed this rock with all my weight on the pedal. so i would rock those again.
syncros. i was tired of all these pedals breaking so i wennt for the end all be all, the uber burly completely rebuildable stainless syncros. but though they seem basically indestructable, they weigh twice as much as your average flats at least, which you can really feel pedaling. and the pins are so intensely gnarly that if you ride with out full front and back leg protection your legs will look like ground beef after the first time you slip. i sold them because i wasnt man enough.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Speedplays are out, too heavy and I don't like the profile or pins.
How is the concavity of those DK pedals? (If you can you compare to the a-frames, great.)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think those DKs look terrible. They look like there's no grip at all. I have ridden A-frames, and I would recommend Tioga MX Pro pedals. They're grippier and lighter, and they have a way lower profile. Specialized Lo-Pro Mags are also nice and they're easy to rebuild.

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
Easton Cullys are the best pedals i have ever ridden, I have had a pair for about three years now and i absolutely love them. I use the them on my Hollowpoint MTX.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
street- nycfreeride lenosky sig pedals
dh- nyc freeride race lites
everything else- nyc freeride gloryholes

i have never had a pair of pedals hold up to a whole season of riding untill these bad boys all arived at my door step. never going back. strong, sexy, light, great grip etc

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
if you want light weight for for the wellgo mg-1's. they are really really light and they have held up to me for about 2 years and i really don't expect pedals to last more than 8 months

also the tioga mx pro pedals are wellgo b-27's with holes drilled in them. i also have had good luck with the b-27's.

both pedals are very low pro and the b 27's are fairly light but considering the price differance go for the mg 1's. much lighter just as grippy and feel the same

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Truvativ Holzfellers
Primo Gas Pedals

I have the hussefelts and would definitely like a pair of holzfellers. The gas pedals are really nice too and they grip pretty well, but i don't know how light they are.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I just switch out my year old primos (still worked like a champ) with some wellgo B25s. The grip is great and I saved half a pound. Oh and I got them for $25 bucks on www.priceline.com That has to be the best dollar/weight loss ratio ever.