Quantcast

If you were going to move somewhere just for the biking, where would it be?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did you even READ the thread title?
Did you even read the whole first post?

One of my co-workers I ride with from time to time today emailed me and asked "If you could move anywhere, with the main basis of selection being good biking, where would you go?"

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't have a very good answer off the top of my head.

Where would you go, and why? Factor in, if you want, the ability to earn enough of a living to keep you in bike parts and booze.

Thanks for playing, though.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I did almost this in real life. We grew to HATE San Diego so we went on a series of trips to find somewhere else to live. We settled on Bend for the riding. Now, if I could open that up to anywhere in the world I'd have to do some more research. I really liked Switzerland and Chamonix riding.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
So to clarify first, are we picking a spot we'd live in 100% of the time? See, I live just south of Carson City, NV, so places like Kirkwood, Northstar, Tahoe, Squaw Valley, and Mammoth are no more than a 2hr drive for me. Heck, even Virginia City has some ok riding.

Now, if I DO have to live there 100% of the time, well.............................. forget it, I'm staying where I'm at.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
At this point I'd say British columbia.

Seems like you could get the best of both worlds, biking and snowboarding. Epic riding the whole year on snow and dirt... That would be as good as it gets...

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
From the places I've ridden I'd have to say northern VT (I've ridden all over New England, Brevard/Ashville several times along with CO, UT, MT). VT has Kingdom Trails / Burke Bike Park, Stowe, Middlebury, Millstone.... Plus, great snow and mellow vibe and the Whites aren't too far for awesome hiking.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I moved to Golden and gotta say, it kicks ass. (as does Colorado in general)

Great trail riding from home, short drive to tons more, >90 minutes to three bike parks, high alpine CO singletrack a few months a year. I'm surrounded by mountain views but can be in downtown Denver in 30 minutes.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

Great trail riding from home, short drive to tons more, >90 minutes to three bike parks, high alpine CO singletrack a few months a year. I'm surrounded by mountain views but can be in downtown Denver in 30 minutes.
How is the job market there? How insane is housing?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
How is the job market there? How insane is housing?
I don't think the job market isn't too bad. Stoney found work here in like 2 weeks, my neighbor just found a new job as well. As an educated lawyer type you HAVE to be employable to SOMEBODY. No?

Housing in Golden is higher than the surrounding areas (demand) but overall not as bad as Chicago where I am from. Insane is relative, of course.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Meh. It's alright... but there are better places in the world if mt biking is top priority.

;)

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
This was just hypothetical. I actually like Phoenix. I think it means I've lost my marbles, but good biking, strange politics, lots of guns, not horrid weather 8 months a year. My dogs are happy here. I'm living well here.

Not 100% sure this is forever in Phoenix, but it'll do for the time being. Still thinking about a "triumphant" return to New Orleans, but that's a long way down the road. Gotta stack some piles before that's an option.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
italy or spain.
Well, if you like to live somewhere where the mafia controls the whole country which is almost bancrupt, this is the place to be.
Riding is good though. The wine also.
And the chicks: Well they look hot in young age but they are definitely crazy. When they get married they usually become fat. And they think their pvssy is golden or the holy grail.
Just keep this in your mind:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i second that.
slovenia ain't too shabby, either. riding is great, people have devastating drinking habits, and the chicks are hot, too.
What about Graz? It's ~30mins from Maribor and seemed like a bigger city with richer life. Never been to Ljubljana. The chicks are got. Anything in the east yurp is good for that.

btw. Monarch - I always thought that the northern regions of Italy are better of financialy and people are a bit lower on the bat**** scale. I'm often in italy but allways as a tourist so I may be wrong..

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
What about Graz? It's ~30mins from Maribor and seemed like a bigger city with richer life. Never been to Ljubljana. The chicks are got. Anything in the east yurp is good for that.

btw. Monarch - I always thought that the northern regions of Italy are better of financialy and people are a bit lower on the bat**** scale. I'm often in italy but allways as a tourist so I may be wrong..
graz is not bad, riding is inferior to slovenia i.e. maribor in my case(but by no means bad!), beer is more expensive and the chicks are hard to persuade that their pvssies are meant to be used. otherwise a great place, rich cultural scene, music, arts, theater and the whole shebang...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
graz is not bad, riding is inferior to slovenia i.e. maribor in my case(but by no means bad!), beer is more expensive and the chicks are hard to persuade that their pvssies are meant to be used. otherwise a great place, rich cultural scene, music, arts, theater and the whole shebang...
That's the thing with me. I'm all up for the chicks and riding but I also like a city with a lot of non biking stuff to do. I know it's a bad thing but I like hanging out with hipsters, the whole city coulture, concerts and stuff. Harder to get that in good biking cities. Though who am I kidding I'm still far away from moving. I didn't finish my eng. degree and want to work in media/ads. I have 2 months of experiance in a media house, some freelance jobs as a creative and some journalistic experiance so moving from Poland won't happen in the next few years.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
You're right, especially in the region where I live. But the problem is still the same. If Italy goes bancrupt our region will also go down the drain. Hopefully we will get a new president soon. Silvio wants to step back. The hope is that we get some things sorted. Otherwise our future will look like that in Greece.
Also people here don't really like mountain biking (south tyrol, german part of Italy) but its getting better.

Personally I think Austria would be the better place to ride and live. Awesome and motivated people, nice mountains, good snow in the winter and the girls are definitely friendlier ;)

Last edited: