Quantcast

If you were to build the ultimate wheelset for.....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
.............for aggressive XC / All mountain riding with a thru axle up front, what would it be?

I realize that this is a bike related post, and that I haven't declared that I'm leaving the site but I thought that I would give it a shot.....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wumpus,

I'm fairly ignorant in this area (which is why I started the thread - to learn) but why did you used a different wheel for the front than the rear?
Also...by convertible do you mean that the front hub can be converted from QR to a 20mm thru axle?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Chris King hubs front and back, laced with DT Alpine III spokes to Mavic XM719 rims. That would be a pretty light wheelset that would actually hold up to some abuse.

You can usually skimp a little bit on rim weight if you're compulsive about keeping your spokes tight.

Aside from CK which carry an astronomical price, I'd go with Hope Bulbs.

J

JRB

I would build Hope Bulbs or look at the Woodman Bill LTIs. I would be them with DT revolutions on Mavic XM719, or whatever the tubeless rim is. I would even consider DT rims if UST was not wanted.

J

JRB

jeb4 said:
Wumpus,

I'm fairly ignorant in this area (which is why I started the thread - to learn) but why did you used a different wheel for the front than the rear?
Also...by convertible do you mean that the front hub can be converted from QR to a 20mm thru axle?
I'll answer for him since he said he was having dinner. The 519 is a little beefier in the back, where the pounding would come in. Convertible is exactly that. I have some Performance wheels that have a convertible hub, I think is a woodman. Hope bulbs can be converted, as can a few others that escape me right now.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jeb4 said:
Wumpus,

I was trying to keep the wheel weight down a little since I'm not very hard on front wheels. If I had to do it again, I would probably go with a 519 or similiar wide rim on the front. I don't really like how the tires cups(?). Also, I would consider building with a UST rim.

jeb4 said:
Yep, the conversion kit is around $20.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
I'll answer for him since he said he was having dinner. The 519 is a little beefier in the back, where the pounding would come in.
Yeah, what he said. I'm 215lbs and pretty hard on rear wheels.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wumpus,

Thanks for the link! That's a nice set of wheels!

I guess that I should have put this in the origanal post.....the reason that I'm posting this question (other than I said - to learn) is that I I'm currently running a set of Mavic D3.1 UST wheels that came on my Giant AC1. While I'm confident that I could jump out of an airplaine "to flat" and not bend them, they are mighty heavy (as is the crankset that came on the bike). I'd also like to keep the option of running 2.5" tires if the occasion (or trail) should arrise......I should add that I'm hooked on tubeless if that helps on the replies.....it would be hard to go back to using tubes!

Thanks for the replies!

jeb4

P.S.

Kanter, I was just checking out the Crossmax XL disc....pretty sweet I must say....

J

JRB

I will add that you won't find a rim that is as light as the 3.1 that is as tough. I have them on the XC bike, and they are great. Not what I would jump around on much, I would get XM823s, or whatever, but for XC, they are great. (I think I needed 2 more commas)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
loco said:
I will add that you won't find a rim that is as light as the 3.1 that is as tough.
Hard to argue with that. I've never even had to true them. I think that by changing tires (currently running Hutchison Octopus) I could save some rotating mass. I'm really just looking for ways to lighten up my 37lb bike without giving up any travel.....I don't "go big" or anything, but I like having 6" of travel at the ready.....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i've found it's pretty hard to build a lite ac. my 03 is like a 9.5 lb frame/coil shock. it started out with an xcish build and it has slowly gotten heavier as time goes on because i realized if i couldn't have it light, it might as well be fast and indestructable. i didn't like feeling that if i actually used my 6 inches of travel i would bust the thing.

the 3.1 hoops cant weigh more than about 500 grams. you're going to be hard pressed to find anything lighter.

J

JRB

skatetokil said:
<snip>the 3.1 hoops cant weigh more than about 500 grams. you're going to be hard pressed to find anything lighter.
465 or 495 is the weight, I believe. I don't know if that includes the screw ins for the nipples.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
If you aren't buying right away, I would wait for the new Hope Pro II hubs and either DT supercomp or Wheelsmith DB14 spokes. I'll stay out of the rim debate since I help design them other than to say, make sure you know the inside width of the rim if you like to run wider tires.

More details about your riding style, riding weight (with gear), what you liked and did not like about all the previous wheels you've owned, if you have a target weight in mind, etc would help for more informed recommendations.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Mike B. said:
More details about your riding style, riding weight (with gear), what you liked and did not like about all the previous wheels you've owned, if you have a target weight in mind, etc would help for more informed recommendations.
I wont be buying anything right away.....this thread was just to get some ideas and get me thinking.....OK, about my riding style (riding background)....

Well I only started riding about two years ago. My first bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Disk. While I'm sure that it's a great bike for its intended purpose, it wasn't the bike for me. I bent wheels, broke derailleurs, and blew through its travel. I wasn't jumping it or doing drops, but I prefer to ride rough, technical trails and it was the wrong bike for that....

About a year ago I picked up my '03 AC1 on a Supergo Clearance for next to nothing. It was what I was looking for - lots of travel, plenty of brakes, and it didn't feel like a DH bike. I still love this bike, but it is no climber (neither am I, but I'm starting to work on it) and at 37 lbs. it's no lightweight (I raced BMX for nearly 10 years when I was a kid, so I probably still have the "lighter is better" mentality). I'm trying to make the bike a little more "trail riding friendly". But still able to handle the rough stuff, with maybe a 3 foot drop here and there. BTW I'm around 190# with 100 oz. of water in my Camelbak, but when riding a lot, I can drop around 20#

There is nothing that I really "dislike" about my current wheelset. I was told by others that the wheelset and cranks on this bike are the "heavy items" (the crankset is a Race Face North Shore DH set). I guess despite what you hear, I should have went to the internet first for advice :D Judging by these posts, it sounds like what I already have isn't half bad...

Would I be able to drop a sizable amount of rotating mass buy using a non tubeless tire and then running them tubeless? Seems like the dedicated tubeless tires are pretty darn beefy.....

Sorry if this thread is wasting anyone's time, but maybe someone else will get something out of it too......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
airwalkrob said:
So, since neither of you actually had anything to say other than, "these are the best", what's the deal with those hubs? Never heard of them before.

Frankly, if I crashed, I'd much rather trash a ten cent spoke nipple by ripping all the threads out of it than trash a multi-hundred-dollar hub by ripping the threads out of it.

You also have a greater chance of the spoke nipple failing and letting go than those things breaking off, which means you're going to tear your rim to shreds.

Sometimes the so-called "strongest" solution isn't always the best one. Bikes break, and they break at the weakest link. If you make everything stronger and make your weakest link an expensive hub, well, that's what's going to break first. With wheels, which are about the most easily trashed piece of equipment on a bike, that's not really the smartest idea in the world.

J

JRB

Those are some beautiful hubs, but don't seem a ton different than a Mavic hub. I certainly would call any 1600 gram wheelset an all mountain set though. The spokes seem weird.