Quantcast

Iggy Pop Rulz!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just bought an used CD of "The Crow: City Of Angels", because it had a killer live version of "I Want To Be Your Dog".

Who else thinks Iggy is the godfather of punk and metal and all f cked up music?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i do.

reissues of the 1st two Stooges are just now coming out w/ alternate takes on songs.

if you consider yrself even a marginal fan of rock music, they should already be in yr collection.

from the show i saw in ireland (pic is not mine):

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I think he's great. Be shure to give a listen to the other influential bands as well. The stooges alone didn't shape the rock to follow. New York Dolls, MC5, ect.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
I think he's great. Be shure to give a listen to the other influential bands as well. The stooges alone didn't shape the rock to follow. New York Dolls, MC5, ect.
i never got the dolls. MC5 was ok, best thing about them was that they played w/ sun ra in the 60s. the stooges had the songs, the power *and* the attitude. NYD and MC5 were a bit lacking in all 3 categories, in my estimation.

and even though it's not a proper Stooges record (james williamson played guitar), "Search and Destroy" is THE blueprint for a rock powerhouse tune. the guitar chords on the lead-in to the chorus always makes my hair stand on end. it's f'in killer.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
great album.

the fact that they pushed all the levels into the red while recording gives it that cool vibe.

must of been incredible to see some of those shows outta detroit back in the day.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Some cruise line is using Lust For Life for their background music, but of course, there's no mention of liquor and drugs...

Here comes Johnny in again
With liquor and drugs
And a fast machine
He's gonna do another strip tease.

Hey man, where'd ya get that lotion?
I've been hurting since I'm up again
With something called love
Yeah, something called love.
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

Well, I'm just a modern guy
Of course, I've had it in the ear before.
I have a lust for life
'Cause I've a lust for life.

I'm worth a million in prizes
With my torture film
Drive a GTO
Wear a uniform
On a government loan.

I'm worth a million in prizes
Yeah, I'm through with sleeping on the sidewalk
No more beating my brains
No more beating my brains
With liquor and drugs
With liquor and drugs.

Well, I'm just a modern guy
Of course, I've had it in my ear before
Well, I've a lust for life (lust for life)
'Cause I've a lust for life (lust for life, oooo)
I've got a lust for life (oooo)
Got a lust for life (oooo)
Oh, a lust for life (oooo)
Oh, a lust for life (oooo)
A lust for life (oooo)
I got a lust for life (oooo)
Got a lust for life

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
sanjuro said:
I just bought an used CD of "The Crow: City Of Angels", because it had a killer live version of "I Want To Be Your Dog".

Who else thinks Iggy is the godfather of punk and metal and all f cked up music?
Yeah, Iggy Pop/The Stooges must've been something to see and hear back in the day. Think of what was mostly on the radio at the time. Then ya got Iggy writhing around on broken glass. Insane.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Unfortunately, I did not hear Iggy live until 2002. He was 55 years old at the time, and the crowd was about as ancient. I unwisely chose not to wear earplugs because all the old timers. Well the crowd might be old, but Iggy jumped around like he was 15, and I gave myself tinnitus.

I learned of Iggy Pop because of Trainspotting, but I did not realize his greatness until one drunken night, I played TV Eye on jukebox. The song just drove me to drink, and I learned the darkside from him.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sanjuro said:
I learned of Iggy Pop because of Trainspotting, but I did not realize his greatness until one drunken night, I played TV Eye on jukebox. The song just drove me to drink, and I learned the darkside from him.
people uninitiated w/ the genius of James Osterberg, take heed of the sage words from Sanjuro.

:thumb:

seriously, _The Stooges_, _Fun House_ and _Raw Power_ are goddamn CORNERSTONES of rock music.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
i never got the dolls. MC5 was ok, best thing about them was that they played w/ sun ra in the 60s. the stooges had the songs, the power *and* the attitude. NYD and MC5 were a bit lacking in all 3 categories, in my estimation.

and even though it's not a proper Stooges record (james williamson played guitar), "Search and Destroy" is THE blueprint for a rock powerhouse tune. the guitar chords on the lead-in to the chorus always makes my hair stand on end. it's f'in killer.
Def Stooges are strongest among their contemporaries. Can't argue that. I've always been a NYD fan & the remnants that followed J Thunders, Heartbreakers. I always get a kick out of the fact that David Johansen managed a second musical career, almost unrecognizable from his rock stuff. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
I always get a kick out of the fact that David Johansen managed a second musical career, almost unrecognizable from his rock stuff. :D
kinda like danny elfman (oingo boingo) and mark mothersbaugh (devo), who both now do soundtrack work pretty exclusively.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
kinda like danny elfman (oingo boingo) and mark mothersbaugh (devo), who both now do soundtrack work pretty exclusively.
Most all of Wes Anderson's movies. The little tunes in the background all mothersbaugh. :thumb: