Quantcast

IH SGS Riders - I need quick advice on sizing

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So.....how tall are you and what size SGS do you ride?

I'm 5'9" tall and I'm wondering if a Medium frame would work well for me for DH/FR or would I be better served with a Small?

Eyeing one for sale that is going to go quickly so I need to get a sense since I've never been on an IH.

For what it's worth it is the SGS Expert FR frame.

Thanks.

Mark

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I know Ralph got a small, but he finds it a little small, I think he's a bit taller than you. PM him.

Matte Black SGS :drool:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Medium sounds about right - I'm 5'11 and at the upper range of a Med.

Small only if you like "small-feeling" bikes.

JTN

Chimp
Feb 15, 2002
Norway
I'm 173 cm and ride a small SGS DH. I don't know if there are any differences in size between the DH and FR models, but I love my small one. And yes, I like small bikes.

Attachments

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by JTN
I'm 173 cm and ride a small SGS DH. I don't know if there are any differences in size between the DH and FR models, but I love my small one. And yes, I like small bikes.
DH 8" of rear travel
FR 7" of rear travel

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Id say for your height go with the medium and run a shorter stem if you need to. That should make for a nice ride.

Dave

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dw
Id say for your height go with the medium and run a shorter stem if you need to. That should make for a nice ride.

Dave
I'd most likely be running a 50mm stem on it - many parts would come from my Snipes onto the IH.

Thanks Dave!!!

bizirka

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
Im 6'0 and i got a large, if your doing Dh definatly go with a medium, for free riding you mite want to consider the small, it would be easier to handle. goodluk

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by MMcG
Well something that can do a little bit of DH - yep. :)

Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)
:thumb: If you can afford it do it. You won't regret it.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'd most likely be running a 50mm stem on it - many parts would come from my Snipes onto the IH.

Thanks Dave!!!
Sweet man, that should be perfect! Glad I could help!

Dave

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I'm 5'8" 160lbs and ride a small(17") for DH racing, I like being able to whip the frame around and "werk it" easier on the technical courses.....thats how I roll..:D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I sat on a small a couple weeks ago in a shop and didn't even realize it was a small until I put one foot on the pedal and it felt wierd then I looked at the tag and sure enough it was small, the top tube felt pretty long for a small though. I'm 6'2".

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I rode a small last year, and at 5'-6", I felt a bit too big for it. I really do like tiny bikes, but I was completely over the front end while riding. Also when I sat down, my but would be half-way off the saddle.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Metal
I rode a small last year, and at 5'-6", I felt a bit too big for it. I really do like tiny bikes, but I was completely over the front end while riding. Also when I sat down, my but would be half-way off the saddle.
I think the Medium with a short stem will work well then.

I emailed you with a couple of fork related questions as well.

Thanks for your input on the IH sizing.

Mark

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by SPUTNECK
I'm 5'8" 160lbs and ride a small(17") for DH racing, I like being able to whip the frame around and "werk it" easier on the technical courses.....thats how I roll..:D
I didn't realize your bike had come in yet? When do we get to see it? :)

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Fock! I got Sniped with 28 seconds to go and couldn't get another bid in. :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :( :(

Back to the drawing board.

Bummer Mark.Now just buy my Evil:devil: . Looks like i'm just going to end up keeping the Straight 8.Been rippin on it lately and since you won't buy it:p .....goin to put a Boxxer World Cup on it and ride the wheels off it.Hope you find a bike soon!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
A medium should be fine, I am short, about 5'5 or 5'6, and my medium is a bit big getting onto the bike, but I can flick it around all day at the DJs. I just cut the seatpost a little bit. I basically went a little big because since i am only 16, I dont want to outgrow it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by T-Pirate
A medium should be fine, I am short, about 5'5 or 5'6, and my medium is a bit big getting onto the bike, but I can flick it around all day at the DJs. I just cut the seatpost a little bit. I basically went a little big because since i am only 16, I dont want to outgrow it.
It is sort of moot now since I lost the auction. Some lucky person got a really nice frame for only $227.52:mad:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
Bummer Mark.Now just buy my Evil:devil: . Looks like i'm just going to end up keeping the Straight 8.Been rippin on it lately and since you won't buy it:p .....goin to put a Boxxer World Cup on it and ride the wheels off it.Hope you find a bike soon!
LOL!

I have my Snipes already - so no need for another hardtail like that.

Glad you have found new love for the Straight 8!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
LOL!

I have my Snipes already - so no need for another hardtail like that.

Glad you have found new love for the Straight 8!

Just messing with ya Mark. Just wish the Evil would sell(spam).
Straight8 is old school but i'm diggin it.Should be sweet with the Worldcup:cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It is sort of moot now since I lost the auction. Some lucky person got a really nice frame for only $227.52:mad:
I was gonna bid on that frame, then I realized it was the one you were trying to get so I didn't bid on it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Fock! I got Sniped with 28 seconds to go and couldn't get another bid in. :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :( :(

Back to the drawing board.
well, since anything I buy on ebay I usually try to snipe (no, I'm not the proud winner of a recent SGS frame from ebay), here's a tip:

make sure you're around a computer when the auction is about to expire, then with 30sec or a min left, put in your max bid. however much you're willing to pay for the item. don't put in round numbers, go a couple bucks higher ($307 or something), but make that your final bid. if someone out bids you, oh well, they were willing to pay more than you were. don't get into a bidding war at the last min thinking "oh, a dollar more would win it" b/c the other guy is thinking the same thing. This guy probably would've spent a hundred more than you, so it's not like bidding a dollar more would've done anything.

happy bidding
dante

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dante
well, since anything I buy on ebay I usually try to snipe (no, I'm not the proud winner of a recent SGS frame from ebay), here's a tip:

make sure you're around a computer when the auction is about to expire, then with 30sec or a min left, put in your max bid. however much you're willing to pay for the item. don't put in round numbers, go a couple bucks higher ($307 or something), but make that your final bid. if someone out bids you, oh well, they were willing to pay more than you were. don't get into a bidding war at the last min thinking "oh, a dollar more would win it" b/c the other guy is thinking the same thing. This guy probably would've spent a hundred more than you, so it's not like bidding a dollar more would've done anything.

happy bidding
dante
I was watching it very closely - the thing that pissed me off is that it seemed to me that 28 seconds would have been enough time for me to get that last bid in - but alas it wasn't. That's what pissed me off really. I had it all set to go when I saw the new bid go in, but couldn't get mine in there in time. It seems like those 28 seconds when extra fast. :(

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I was watching it very closely - the thing that pissed me off is that it seemed to me that 28 seconds would have been enough time for me to get that last bid in - but alas it wasn't. That's what pissed me off really. I had it all set to go when I saw the new bid go in, but couldn't get mine in there in time. It seems like those 28 seconds when extra fast. :(
Maybe it was rigged...ya know like 1950s game shows, American Idol, and the 2000 presidential election.

-ska todd

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by ska todd
Maybe it was rigged...ya know like 1950s game shows, American Idol, and the 2000 presidential election.

-ska todd
I think we're on to something here:think: :sneaky:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by ska todd

-ska todd
Yeah that's it - it was fixed! :D

Or maybe it is a sign that I'll be in line to test out the new 2005 IH freeride bike! ;) :D