Quantcast

ih yakuza hangers suck (rant)

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
ok, after 10 min in my first ride on my ih yakuza, i broke the hanger. i went off a jump to get over some rocks and on the landing... i hear a loud BLING. i look down and there is a deraileur about to be chewed up by the crank. i've had the bike for 2 days and rode it for 10 min and now it's borked. i am unbelieveably pissed. i can clear the jump NO problem on my modded giant rincon.

returning to my shop after riding a full rigid down gabrielino, i first suspected that i had first bent the hanger, then snapped it. turns out the hanger snapped just above the dropout, at it's thinnest part. imo, the design is wicked horrible. i take some blame, as the ih is longer than my giant and i may have underestimated the length and landed in my usual landing spot when actually needing to land forward more. so my coworker is milling me a billet steel deraileur hanger to prevent this problem again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are you serious? You've broken one deraulleur hanger, and you're leaping to the conclusion that all the IH Yakuza hangers suck?

Did you even verify you had enough chain on there first, and that it wasn't your own fault for running a too-short chain?

Come back when you have at least a second occurance of the problem :rolleyes:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I break and bend probably 3 or 4 hangers a season and it has nothing to do with the hanger being bad it has to do with my riding, and IMO the hangers are urualy made softer and easyer to bend that the rear D, because hangers are cheeper than XTs

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
AFaceInTheCrowd said:
so my coworker is milling me a billet steel deraileur hanger to prevent this problem again.
Dude, that's a "wicked horrible" idea.

You want your hanger to break, otherwise it will either be your der or your frame or both. And we probably don't need to tell you that running a steel der hanger will make IH a little more hesitant to warranty a broken frame.

Like someone else said, make sure you've got enough chain so you're not maxing out your drivetrain at full compression, not just when the bike is in the stand. If you are not aware of chain growth, do a search or something. And instead of steel I think you should just pick up an extra aluminum hanger or two to have on hand.

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
no, after seeing 5 sgs come in with broken hangers in 1 week and having to order a stock of various ih deraileur hangers. mine is just another in the plethora of ih with broken hangers we get.
i realize that the billet is a bad idea, which is why i had iron horse send me 3 new deraileur hangers. he already made the deraileur hanger, which looks sick, but i will not be using it.
mind you, the bike is STOCK, except for my lx rear deraileur. i did not touch the chain. i am also aware of chain growth. the cages of the stock alivio and lx are the same length. also, my new deraileur is also toast. the cage is beyond bent and it will not shift.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude it sounds like you work in a shop and you are ranting like this. dude you need a chill pill man. did you ever stop to think that your giant was a hardtail and has totally different jumping charecteristics than your full suspension. that also might be why you did what you did. also check what the factories do. the only bikes that they care about are the ones that there riders ride and thats only cause they have pro mechanics to work on them. people screw up so check your chain. factories dont give a flying flip how they are put together when they leave the factory as long as there put together. ohh and just for the record my sgs has been riding harder than just about any other sgs out there and have never broken a hanger. only prob ive had is bending the cages on my sgs, and dude this is dh this is a whold ****load different ball game than your little xc bike stuff. broken hangers, bent cages, broke leavers, blown up pedal bearings, flatted wheels, untrue wheels, crashes, and pain are all part of the game man. you just got to take what your giving and flow with it man. dont get all bent outa shape from a hanger. :thumb:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
one word HONE the derailer conects derectly to the hub no more hanger

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
zmtber said:
one word HONE the derailer conects derectly to the hub no more hanger
so does saint, but that involves replacing the hub, and that hub is center lock so you also have to get shimano brakes, i say jest get a new hanger.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
yeah, suck it up! I bet, if you cleared this so called jump, your chain is probley to short and the growth made the hanger snap. I have never had any problems, but I have never ridden an IH :(

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
i thought about the hone, but decided to opt against it. would GREATLY restrict what parts i could use.

i apologize for my post-in-anger. i called iron horse yesterday and they have overnighted some deraileur hangers to me. excellent customer service. i didn't even need them overnighted, they just kinda offered overnight shipping. so now i have 2 extra and will take them with me on rides.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
remember when riding a FS you can make more mistakes as far as overclearing stuff than on your HT, and you will need more speed than on your HT so take jumps a bit faster than you think you need to.