Quantcast

***Il Monday GMT***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Drove a rental car from my Dad's to Detroit for work. Fuck Detroit. However I was given a Jaguar by the rental company. 250 or so HP, got over 40 MPG on a 200 mile trip. I am actually a little impressed. Could be a fun car if actually offered with a manual.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Drove a rental car from my Dad's to Detroit for work. Fuck Detroit. However I was given a Jaguar by the rental company. 250 or so HP, got over 40 MPG on a 200 mile trip. I am actually a little impressed. Could be a fun car if actually offered with a manual.
i thought your dad was in virginia?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Today is quit your job Monday! Putting in my two weeks then I'll start tidying up my work for the next person.

DMV this afternoon to register the new truck. :thumbsdown:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning :monkeydance:'s.

Fun filled weekend of beers, friends, a charity walk on Saturday, and even got in a ride yesterday morning.

On a side note... there's a good chance that my wife tore her meniscus in her right knee last week. She already had x-rays but still waiting for an MRI appointment. She's able to walk around on it but it's definitely sore. At least it happened at work so whatever needs to be done will be covered under workers comp.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How is the weekend over already? I am quite sore from all the kneeling bending twisting that comes with stripping my old windows off layers and layers of crap. Now another week with my obsessive new boss who values process over all.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Not a bad weekend at all. Finally back on the bike with an unbroken (but now dislocated and still fucked) hand. Felt pretty damn good considering it's been like ten weeks off the bike. Drank too much Saturday night then started cutting in a new trail on Sunday. So good to be back in the woods.

Oh, and picked up a new bike for my wife on Friday, too.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Morning. It's been a while.

Life has had me busier than I would like, but whatcha gonna do? I did manage to knock out a bunch of trail work yesterday afternoon. Hoping to go reap the rewards of my work later on tonight. Work seems to be getting in the way of riding these days, but I like the OT money.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Amazing weekend in Bend, no bikes we're ridden this time, though. Friends rented a huge house, our pups played like crazy. After seeing the lineup for this year's summer concert series, we will be back at least three more times. Can't make the Primus show, that sucks.

Yay Monderp.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Its supposed to hit 90 today, can you say shorts?

Damn I hate getting up at 4am and having to do work shit at 5:30

Good coffee though.:dance:
Wait... I thought you weren't on that schedule anymore? Don't you have a desk job?!?!

I am quietly sitting at my desk now. It's a gorgeous freakin' day outside. I'd really rather be biking. Really. At least I got a great ride in yesterday afternoon. Not the biggest ride, but I've discovered that my local hill isn't running the lifts till august this year to make upgrades to their lift. in the mean time, I can park at the bottom of the hill, climb to the xc side, and then finish with a great DH. I'm also realizing that I need more air in my tires to ride DH, especially in berms. I was folding tires like nobody's business. I'm also realizing trail bikes these days are ridiculously capable. It's just that the gearing is all wrong for DH. I'm also liking my Vorsprung stuff more and more. crazy good.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
san juan national forest is closed until further notice....per the durango herald.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkeys! I bit off a bit more than I should on Saturday, 14 road miles to an 8 mile XC ride in 85 degree weather and headwind knocked me out. I slept for 12 hours yesterday and had ZERO motivation for anything during the other 12. I'm gonna give the toothpicks a 3 day break.

On the karma side I helped a kid who had a flat and didn't have a spare tube, pump or tools. I normally do not carry my pack on short rides but I needed the extra water so I had one. He was riding an REI low spec bike with wire beaded tires, they literally fell off the rim but made fixing the flat pretty easy. The rims were shrader but the presta tube managed to get him 1.5 miles back to his truck.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Morning. Why am I awake??? Haven't slept yet after getting off shift and I work tonight.....

So in my way inbyesterday, my new windshield, that is just shy of two weeks installed, took another rock and is already fucking broken!!!!

I said a few words, yelled a bit, and turned in the plate number for the brodozer with widebass tires and short mudflaps to my coworkers. He has been cited and has to replace the windshield......... Dude was a serious douche about it.

I probably would not have cared too much if the window wasn't brand new....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I rode into work. Music of choice was Bach's Goldberg Variations as played by Glenn Gould (later recording, 1980s, not 1950s)--gotta bring some culture to the masses.

Going to be a hot ride home.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Full story from my homie who got run over

Me vs. Semi Truck

It was around 7 p.m. on Monday June 4th 2018 When I was riding my road bike home from the Antioch BART station.

I was traveling eastbound on Main Street with the flow of traffic and was approaching the intersection of Neroly and Main St. Ahead of me I could see that the light was red and that there were a few cars at the light in the right hand lane followed by a white semi truck with no trailer that was also in the right lane.

I was approximately 20 or 30 yards behind the white semi truck when the light turned green and the vehicles started to move. I was riding on the road in between the sidewalk and the vehicles that were traveling in the right hand lane. I was traveling approximately 20 miles per hour.

As I came up along the right side of the white semi truck, it abruptly turned right towards the Chevron gas station parking lot. I was approximately two or three feet to his right and almost directly to the right of his front tire when he began his turn. I did not see his right turn indicator as I was approaching him from the rear or at any time up to the impact.

I attempted to swerve to the right to avoid getting hit and began to enter the parking lot with him as he struck me with his truck. Upon impact I was immediately knocked to the ground. As I was knocked to the ground my body and bike went under his rear tires and I became lodged in between his rear axle and the ground.

I was trapped in a way that my head was facing forward towards the front of the truck and my feet were facing backwards towards the rear of the truck. my left side was being pressed into the ground and my right side was making contact with the differential of his rear axle.

As I was being dragged across the ground I managed to twist my body to the right so that I was now flat on my back and was able to clear the rear differential and became free from the truck. I was dragged for approximately 5 seconds and maybe 20-30 yards. I'm really not sure though because the only thing I remember seeing as I was under the truck was the tires spinning in front of me and the rear axle and differential above me.

At this point I was just laying flat on my back on the ground staring up at the sky and trying to catch my breath. I could see that my left shoulder was injured as I was unable to lift my left arm. A few witnesses ran over to see if they could give me aid and called 911. The driver of the truck also ran over. He was very upset and apologetic and kept asking me if I was okay and expressed how sorry he was that he had not see me and that he had ran over me.

Within a few minutes an Oakley police officer was at my side asking me questions about who I was, where I was, where I was going and if he should contact anyone for me. I asked him to call my wife, Latonjya.

Within a few moments after that an ambulance arrived at the scene and they begin to cut my clothes off of me and gather my belongings and move me into the ambulance to take me to John Muir in Walnut Creek.

Once I was in the ambulance they gave me pain medication. The next thing I knew I was at John Muir being rushed into the emergency room. Everything after this is very blurry and I think I was probably out unconscious for a period of time I do not remember them popping my left shoulder back into place which had been dislocated during the accident.

It was approximately 10:30 at night when I started to regain comprehension. At that time I was told that my shoulder had been dislocated and subsequently relocated. I was also told that all of my ribs on the left side and four ribs on the right side of my body had been broken. My left lung had partially collapsed and a tube had been inserted to try to re-inflate the lung. I also had substantial road rash and bruising on the left side of my body.

My road bike was completely destroyed.
Road bikes..... not even once