Quantcast

I'll be drinking a lot less now

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
....now that my bar burned to the ground on Friday morning. The bartending gig was down to only a one night a week thing, so financially it only affects my walking around cash of a couple hundred a week. Bigger than that is the fact that a couple of my best friends in the world ran the place, I'd been going there since the day it opened and met most of my best friends there, or took them there, or went there after long rides, blah blah sad crap sentimental shiite... anyway.

I guess no more free Guinness for me for a while....actually that's not true. I wore one of my work shirts out to another bar on Saturday night and got a whole bunch of shots from the bartender and former Kelly's regulars. It pays to be good to your customers.

Here's a pic just a few minutes after they got it under control. It started in one of the other suites, most likely the Vietnamese restaurant just behind the bar, but spread through both floors and completely annihilated the place. 17 tournament pool table dropped through the floor, as did everything else including the roof. ugh.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
Were the firefighters hot?

Well, it was a 5 alarm fire, with over 100 firefighters. I imagine some of those guys were pretty good-looking dudes. Sorry girlie, I should've been scouting a bit better for you.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
El Jefe said:
Well, it was a 5 alarm fire, with over 100 firefighters. I imagine some of those guys were pretty good-looking dudes. Sorry girlie, I should've been scouting a bit better for you.
It's ok...I think firefighters are overrated in the looks department. They aren't all hulking gorgeous supermodels as a lot of women believe. I was just being a smart ass. On another note, hopefully no one was hurt. Sorry to hear about the bar...I know you've uhhhh...had a lot of great times there and behind the place.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
Sorry to hear about the bar...I know you've uhhhh...had a lot of great times there and behind the place.
Well, all I'll say is that I'm glad I'm in a serious relationship now, because if I weren't, it'd be tough for me since my main..umm...'resource' for umm...social contacts has gone up in flames.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
a sad day indeed. and to think that we tried to come see you last night and buy you a beer.

r.i.p. kelly mccues. the only decent pool hall in socal.

jeff- will they rebuild?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
slowSSer said:
a sad day indeed. and to think that we tried to come see you last night and buy you a beer.

r.i.p. kelly mccues. the only decent pool hall in socal.

jeff- will they rebuild?

Not sure. I doubt it. My buddy who runs the place will be opening up a new bar in the next 6 months or so though. He'd planned on waiting a year, but this kind of increased the urgency of getting it going.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Barbaton said:
hmmm. insurance fire?
Well it looks like the fire started inside one of the walls of one of the other businesses, which would most likely mean no human intervention, but it could be that one of the other businesses wasn't doing so well and wanted to bail. Not our place though. Business was better than ever.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
MMM hmmmm! That's what you ALWAYS say! I'm thinking long and hard about a suitible prize...you seem to have quite the connections with Santa Cruz...
OK Girlie. A Heckler frame is yours on June 1 if I'm not with her anymore.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
Yesssss! orange...and not the ano orange...can you just order it now so I'll have it sometime late this summer since they can't get their sh!t together over there? Thanks, doll!
If I lose (which I won't,) I'll have it delivered post-haste. I can get stuff deliverd on time, so don't worry about that.

So....what do I win when the relationship works out (besides a great chick who actually doesn't mind that I bust open my surgery incision and spurt a fountain of blood all over the room, disrupting an intimate moment between the two of us...oh damn, I shouldn't have shared that with the board....oh well..and ok, it's not like she didn't mind...it did kill the mood. But she helped me clean up the bloody mess, and asked if she could help while i sewed myself back up again).

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
El Jefe said:
If I lose (which I won't,) I'll have it delivered post-haste. I can get stuff deliverd on time, so don't worry about that.

So....what do I win when the relationship works out (besides a great chick who actually doesn't mind that I bust open my surgery incision and spurt a fountain of blood all over the room, disrupting an intimate moment between the two of us...oh damn, I shouldn't have shared that with the board....oh well..and ok, it's not like she didn't mind...it did kill the mood. But she helped me clean up the bloody mess, and asked if she could help while i sewed myself back up again).
It won't work out...you're too much of a man whore...

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
yeah yeah whatever...just remember...no anodized orange...
I'm still thinking of my prize when I win...ironically, my prize offer may make me lose the chance to actually win my prize.....damn this monogamy thing... haha, j/k...:D

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
El Jefe said:
That's the big hold up. They need to find just the right location. South OC most likely...Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Irvine, Aliso Viejo....
ALISO!!!!!!!!! we have one bar/meat market/sports bar.....with 4 pool tables. we are in need!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
slowSSer said:
ALISO!!!!!!!!! we have one bar/meat market/sports bar.....with 4 pool tables. we are in need!
I was there yesterday. They have the pressure settings all wrong on the Guinness tap. It was the worst Guinness I've ever had...almost undrinkable. When it's overpressurized and has the wrong Nitrogen/CO2 ratio, it tastes tinny. UGH. A couple former Kelly's guys may start there soon though, so hopefully they'll fix that post-haste.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
El Jefe said:
I was there yesterday. They have the pressure settings all wrong on the Guinness tap. It was the worst Guinness I've ever had...almost undrinkable. When it's overpressurized and has the wrong Nitrogen/CO2 ratio, it tastes tinny. UGH. A couple former Kelly's guys may start there soon though, so hopefully they'll fix that post-haste.
had the same guiness expeerience. at least the waitresses are hot.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
El Jefe said:
I thought you were training for something????

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
dh girlie said:
I thought you were training for something????
I was supposed to do a triathlon this weekend, but the knee surgery on March 31st kind of derailed that idea. I guess I'm training for the beerolympics. I'm a gold medal contender.