Quantcast

** I'll do it GMT **

gonefirefightin

free wieners
James webb telescope site was updated today, now has temp telemetry and other info

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No loader, but I've spent a couple of hours today plowing in our pickup with blade on the front.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Would I be dumb getting out of the land cruiser fj62 and back into a 1st-gen 4runner??

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@stoney .....have you ever heard of huntington beach being referred to as calabama...?

made me giggle...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What's the motivation?

The LC is, IMO, is a better vehicle in almost all facets.
the 4 runner might get better gas mileage....

i think the LC would be more comfortable....

but i would not kick either one out of the drive way

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well yeah, top off is the major plus. But a 22re is less of a crazy parts hunt to keep on the road compared to the 3FE and the gas consumption is also so much better...and I don't think the FJ62 is actually any faster of a truck than my old 'runner for it. Plus I think I can do more work on the 22re myself, unlike the crazy vacuum-hose monster of the 3FE.

And then there's the inevitable automatic transmission maintenance to come with the 62.

An H55 swap on the 62 is more money than I think I want to think about, though it is supposed to get back a lot of power that the 3+OD auto tends to sap.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Well yeah, top off is the major plus. But a 22re is less of a crazy parts hunt to keep on the road compared to the 3FE and the gas consumption is also so much better...and I don't think the FJ62 is actually any faster of a truck than my old 'runner for it. Plus I think I can do more work on the 22re myself, unlike the crazy vacuum-hose monster of the 3FE.

And then there's the inevitable automatic transmission maintenance to come with the 62.

An H55 swap on the 62 is more money than I think I want to think about, though it is supposed to get back a lot of power that the 3+OD auto tends to sap.
Do you ever go on ih8mud?

Ok makes sense. It sounds to me like a 1HZ would be the motor of choice if you want something simple you can work on with minimal tools. I do like the 22r and had one in a pickup. The 1HZ also has a good durability reputation like the 22r but goes for 2x the mileage a lot of times. Are you open to a diesel? HZJ73 has a removable top like the 4Runner

I’ve never had an auto but hear what you are saying.

I like the HZJ78 myself. Here’s mine sitting next to a Gold Wing which I had absolutely no idea I liked before that trip.

3A7C50C2-9F4A-43B6-8378-B13E5A4EE11F.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I am not in the US and options are limited, though interesting. Got here with the intention to bring back an interesting vehicle. Short-wheelbase 70 series are all around, but nearly everything is clapped-out crap, and as much as I love them, the tiny 2-doors don't meet my needs. And around here, none sadly have the removable tops...

Had begun poking around for a 4runner but they're rare and usually in 100% shit shape.

After getting the cruiser and doing all the work, a nice runner is now on the market, go figure. Nice fleet you have there...I got a bmw f650 here because I couldn't bring my old British bikes.

I mostly lurk on Mud.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I am not in the US and options are limited, though interesting. Got here with the intention to bring back an interesting vehicle. Short-wheelbase 70 series are all around, but nearly everything is clapped-out crap, and as much as I love them, the tiny 2-doors don't meet my needs. And around here, none sadly have the removable tops...
Yeah, again understandable. I wish I had another door or two but I got used to it.

Mine is rusty but I only paid 8500.- so that is normal. I got body panels for all four wheel wells coming in the mail. I kinda like it in this state because I don’t have to care about using it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I learned on the Farm via tractors on the hay operations around 10-11 years old, doubt that happens much anymore
How I learned as well. 3 on the tree Ford tractor at a friend's grandparents. Ran the tractor into a silo. Same friend parked a Chevy truck in the ditch the same weekend. His Grandpa sent us out in the tractor and watched us figure out our to retrieve it. Lot of lessons learned that week and I'll be forever greatful.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

That's what's for sale.

The rims no me gusta mucho, but that's an easy fix. And they're not even really terrible anyhow. Just not my taste.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It was 86 I believe. My 88 was IFS.

I don't really need or or necessarily want a solid front axle for my use. IFS won't spontaneously self destruct on contact with a dirt surface and I am not looking to make a rock crawler or anything.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
It was 86 I believe. My 88 was IFS.

I don't really need or or necessarily want a solid front axle for my use. IFS won't spontaneously self destruct on contact with a dirt surface and I am not looking to make a rock crawler or anything.
The IFS vs solid axle comments are almost like an involuntary reflex response for me when talking about this type of vehicle. You know “pick an axle type and be a dick about it!” :D

That 4skinner looks cherry.