Quantcast

I'll just take the dressing, hold the vegetables.

November 17, ANSA — Scientists working on "vegetable vaccination" project.

Common garden vegetables such as potatoes and carrots could help fend off a bioterrorist threat, Italian researchers said on Thursday, November 17. Speaking at a United States−Italian scientific conference, they explained that the combined efforts of experts from both countries had produced a "vegetable vaccination" project. Although still in the early stages, the scheme could eventually see the DNA of the smallpox virus introduced into that of carrots, potatoes, and other vegetable plants. Once eaten, the vegetables would stimulate the production of antibodies, helping the body's natural defenses fight off the disease. Researchers developed the idea as a way of avoiding the costly, often unpleasant process of giving injections. It would also cut out the risk of accidental contagion from the vaccination currently used, and make it far easier and safer to transport. The project is still "a long way" from becoming reality, said Giuseppe Ippolito, one of the project's directors, but if it comes to fruition, the vaccination process would be simpler, safer, and much easier to administer. The research, which is also looking at other bioterrorist threats such as anthrax, is part of a much broader bilateral initiative launched more than two years ago.

Source: http://ansa.it/main/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2005−11−17_1863970.html

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Holy sh!t.

Are we getting to the point where we have to have people trying to force us into "vaccinating" against everything on the planet? Who says it stops at smallpox vaccine? Don't people understand that it's a GOOD thing to get sick from time to time?

*sigh* Maybe people are right. Certified organic is going to be the only way to go if you don't want every goddamned chemical on the planet coursing through your bloodstream.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
This is why (partly) I want to move to a farm & grow my own organic veggies, raise my own livestock, grow my own smoke, kinda like a commune but no communal living, just me & the missuz, living the simple life.