Quantcast

illegal trails?

given the story, would you ride on illegal trials?

• Yes, any day of the week.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Yeah, but only in the maner discribed.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • No, be happy you even have llegal trials near you. Count down the months untill Snowshoe re-opens.

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters
May 12, 2005
roanoke va
here's the story. there are a good many miles of llegal trails around me but the downhills are short and everything is tame. is it ok to use foot traffic only trails, that are in abundence around me, and offer much longer downhills and more techy/fun riding, given that i would use them:
-in isolated, low traffic sections
-on non-crowded days
-get off the bike and walk around hikers
-and ride without locking my brakes/other destructive actions.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it is never ok to ride a hikers only trail. all it takes is one person to see you just walking your bike on that trail for a ****storm to occur.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Do whatever you want. You pay the fine, let the hikers whine. All the more reason to build more bike trails.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Hey Space there should be plenty of badass legal trails in the Roanoke area to keep you satisfied. Whatever happened to those places that Castle was working on? I remember him talking about them and posting pics. One places had a ton of land and he was scoping it out on four wheelers and such. One place looked like it was kinda of a open area and it went downhill into some nice berms and jumps. Pretty big stuff and looked like all the dirt was brought in.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
no don't coming from a rider of sb where hiker are a@#@# i don't resomend it, they might take your stupid mistake and turn it around kicking you guys off the trail that you ride now

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Space- Probably be better off finding a secret spot to put in for the time being.

Chop- One Spot got torn down, One Spot owner didn't work out, other Spot became really over grown and the owner didn't like all the kids at his place

So yeah in search of a good spot to ride/work on. As of right now we have a number of people riding around town with really nowhere to ride except the regular xc (for lack of better terms) trails (which are good but not very entertaining in the way of jumps/drops). Considering approaching the city if I can figure out who the hell to really talk to get something done.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
id say stay off of them... all it takes is one person to put in a complaint and things escalate. a lot of places have legal and illegal trails... one person acting foolishly on an illegal trail can close all the trails, its not worth the risk.

splat

Nam I am
Now I voted No, but this was assuming that as it sounds like in your description that it is an area that is already shared with other users and has trails that are legal to riding. because the may be other factors as to why they are not open to bikes ( erossion issues most likely ). and by riding those you threaten the legal one.

now as for riding othe type of illegal trails , ones were really nobody is techiclly allowed on them ( read tresspessing ) but people have been riding them for years, and nothing has ever been said . then yes I ride those.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I voted no as well, but would just say that I would take into account where the trail is, how frequented it is, how likely it is that I'll get in trouble and/or damage the trail... If I was unlikely to get caught and unlikely to damage anything, I might poach an illegal trail when I had no other riding options.

Which I know makes me hypocritical since I don't agree with riding illegal trails, but there it is :D

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
The IMBA rep in me have to answer "No way in hell!" but I must also admit that we are sometime forced to "discover" new path and those are not always legit.

In fact, one of the best trailday we had so far was illegal. The work we did made some land owner realise that we are the one maintaining the trail they hike and it actually made a difference. That trail system is going to be legal sooner than we tought possible.

-HypNo
Quebec IMBA rep
ADSVMQ.org prez

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
splat said:
Now I voted No, but this was assuming that as it sounds like in your description that it is an area that is already shared with other users and has trails that are legal to riding. because the may be other factors as to why they are not open to bikes ( erossion issues most likely ). and by riding those you threaten the legal one.

now as for riding othe type of illegal trails , ones were really nobody is techiclly allowed on them ( read tresspessing ) but people have been riding them for years, and nothing has ever been said . then yes I ride those.
the trials in question are foot traffic only illegal, not trespasing illegal. hiking trails you can play dumb and sweet-talk the ranger, since they are amost always not labeled as such. terspassing, you gotta deal with unlce jeb's shotgun, and since they are usualy marked, you can't play dumb.
actualy, the one time i ran into a ranger there, he just waved and said hi.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think it mainly depends how much sand your local hikers have in their panties. If they are super bitchy, then either stay off the trails. (or carry a bottle of Midol and hand it out when they bitch)

I am not adverse to the occasional poaching of trails, but I try to be smart about it.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
here at my country allmost every trial is illegal, nobody gives a fck for bikers, so we build illegal in city woods and if somebody destroy them we build another on other place and that story goes in circle...

old trialswhere people walk their dogs or just walk we go down like crazy and shout to move to side, its common thing in my city when we go ride...:)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This thread makes us all look bad. Don't ride illegal-hiker only trails. Be respectful to your fellow trail users and yield trail to uphill users. We have to be squeaky clean or we loose it all.

Not happy about the options you have for riding? Do something about it! Join IMBA, join a local IMBA bike club and talk to land managers. Make new stuff and help you don't loose the trail you already have.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
IMBA has a large voice in this area, but all they do is build more tame XC trails. we're always on the lookout for land with potential, but everything has fallen through.(see castle's post)
i'ld like to think that hikers we run into (not literaly) on illegal trails think better of mtn. bikers after them meet us. we always stop, dismount and wait for them to walk past. we say hi, say how cute their dog is, offer the ones that look thirsty water, offer the old ones a hand comming down the steps at the end of a bridge, ect.
thankfuly SWVA, unlike SB has a low sand:panties ratio among hikers.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I miss those days back when I first started MTBing. There were no illegal trails. I used to ride through oil company land by my house all the time. They would catch us and marvel at the bikes and what we were doing. We used to take our BMX bikes up into the hills and canyons by our houses and push to the top and ride down (this was in the 80's) Back before the Sierra Club knew what the hell a mountain bike was.

Trail access issues suck.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
spacemanspiff06 said:
IMBA has a large voice in this area, but all they do is build more tame XC trails. we're always on the lookout for land with potential, but everything has fallen through.(see castle's post)
well maybe if more freeriders joined imba while voicing their opinion on what should be done in the area there would be more technical trails built. why should imba build freeride trails when there are no freeriders in the area who care enough to join imba to help whether or not freeride trails are built. they arent going to do all of this stuff just for you guys to say thanks and then ignore them until you want more trails. so why not join and voice your opinion so something can actually be done.