Quantcast

Illusion?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Found this little illusion on the web yesterday and started discussing it at work today. This thing has us baffled. Anyone want to try to take a stab at how this is possible?

We've read they're description of the solution, but we're not buying it. We've drawn the thing out on graph paper and tested it in different ways.

Thought you all might get a kick out of it.

I did a quick search and didn't see this before, so sorry if this is something you've already seen.

Oh, and here's a link to the page and so-called solution...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Here's the graphic for those that got blocked...

And I'd buy the solution too except that you can draw it out on graph paper and it still comes out the same...

Attachments

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I buy the explanation but the statement beside the second triangle that the partitions are exactly the same is misleading at best. I think the heavy line thickness adds something to it (for my eyes anyway) as well because it is harder to calculate the area. For instance, I see the red triangle as being 3 x 8, not 3 x 7.5

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
I agree, but draw it on your own grid paper with 'straight' lines and it still works.
No need to draw it. The green triangle has a 2/5 slope and the red one a 3/8 slope.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Print it out, cut the paper in half and line up the grids.

hold it up to the light... if you do not see much difference, switch the back page to the front and try again.