Quantcast

I'm a BIG fan of Marzocchi BUT...

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
FWIW, although sometimes it takes a while for tech to pick up, they are always happy to answer my questions about servicing and setting up their forks. Just call 'em if you need something!

There is NO WAY I would trade my Marzocchi for anything that Manitou, Fox, Stratos, or anybody else offers!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
A drop crown to fit the longer headtubes is on the way... They are being machined right now.

As for the manuals, blame the people who sue us because they "followed the instructions in the manual...."

Brian
Where and when can I get one of the new crowns?

I'll sign a waiver for a decent manual. I don't trust anyone else to work on my bikes. It's like packing my own parachute.

Who can I call in Marzocchi to talk to?

Mike

Sep 10, 2001
Just call and ask for tech support.... You may have to hold, they have been pretty busy as of late.

Drop crowns, your LBS will be able to order one for you shortly. I do not have an exact ETA... The joy of outside contractors...

Brian

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by zedro
reason #7461 why i'm afraid of the US....
Hahaha!:p

I was watching the news last night and some women wants to sue the state because while walking in Boston she stepped into a pot-hole and sprained here ankle.

Sometimes I wonder :rolleyes:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ya know, all this talk about 'Zocchi....

I just went in to my LBS to get my fork oil changed on my '02 SuperT, and they asked what happened to my ajuster knobs.

One fell off in one crash, and one fell off in another crash. I thought nothing of it, but the guy at the shop said the only reason that they would fall off would be if they were put on wrong at the factory. I have NEVER touched them, and this is the first time the fork has been apart. Its $36 for those stupid knobs

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the preload ajuster knob? That would fall off if the set-screw loosened or you didn't torque it properly the last time you took the top caps off.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by BigMike

I just went in to my LBS to get my fork oil changed on my '02 SuperT, and they asked what happened to my ajuster knobs.

One fell off in one crash, and one fell off in another crash. I thought nothing of it, but the guy at the shop said the only reason that they would fall off would be if they were put on wrong at the factory. I have NEVER touched them, and this is the first time the fork has been apart. Its $36 for those stupid knobs
I'm sorry but thats a load of BS. They are held in plaec by a tiny allen and get lost in crashes commonly. Not zocchi's fault, you shoulda checked 'em

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Dude, anything can break off in a crash. Even knobs. If you don't believe me, ride naked.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Dude, anything can break off in a crash. Even knobs. If you don't believe me, ride naked.
heh. sick mind... :dead: :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Zark
I'm sorry but thats a load of BS. They are held in plaec by a tiny allen and get lost in crashes commonly. Not zocchi's fault, you shoulda checked 'em
Yeah. I think I'm the only guy I know who still has both preload knobs on all his forks. I'm kinda anal about that....

Installed wrong at the factory :rolleyes:, dude (Jason?) needs to get out more!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by DßR
Yeah. I think I'm the only guy I know who still has both preload knobs on all his forks. I'm kinda anal about that....

Installed wrong at the factory :rolleyes:, dude (Jason?) needs to get out more!
I thought it was kinda weird too, but apparantly they are important, because they keep that little retainer ring on securly.

I thought it wasnt such a big deal, and it happened to everyone, but last time I went on a ride, I checked around, and EVERYONE had thier knobs except me :(

EDIT: And i'm not saying i'm blaming 'zocci for it!

But hell if i'm spending $36 for them!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
but apparantly they are important, because they keep that little retainer ring on securly.

/B]

They dont hold any thing together. They just adjust preload

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
no, they are recessed so the c-clip cant slide/fall out; so they 'hold' the c-clip which holds the fork together. They actually do provide a safety measure.
Thats what I tried to say, but you put it better :)

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
As for the manuals, blame the people who sue us because they "followed the instructions in the manual...."

Brian
Bro, please don't take this personally, but how the hell does stripping any detailed and useful info from your manuals protect you from idiots?

Whoever made that call needs to pull their head out of their ass before it starts effecting their bottom line.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Slacker
Bro, please don't take this personally, but how the hell does stripping any detailed and useful info from your manuals protect you from idiots?

Whoever made that call needs to pull their head out of their ass before it starts effecting their bottom line.
this seems pretty simple: joe schmoe pulls his fork apart, and "following the manual" (but really not) puts it back with, say, crown bolts undone on his pre-2001 z1, crashes, breaks his neck. family is distraught and marzocchi gets sued. sucks but it could well happen in the us.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Toshi
this seems pretty simple: joe schmoe pulls his fork apart, and "following the manual" (but really not) puts it back with, say, crown bolts undone on his pre-2001 z1, crashes, breaks his neck. family is distraught and marzocchi gets sued. sucks but it could well happen in the us.
well, only if the manual is half-assed. The old manuals were better, but by no means complete. If you make the manual bullit-proof, you could prove they actually didnt follow it. Also some legalese could be thrown in saying "only authorized dealers may perform this procedure" etc, all while still providing good info for the non-morons out there.

I think they are actually putting more people in danger by witholding info, especially if there are subtle changes between model years where previous advice may no longer safely apply (like how all their torque specifications changed).

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Toshi
It could and has happened....

As far as the info in the owner's manual, does the manaul in a new car tell you how to rebuild the engine?

Brian

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
As far as the info in the owner's manual, does the manaul in a new car tell you how to rebuild the engine?

Brian
Don't you think that's stretching it just a little. The average user is more than capable of rebuilding a fork. You can't say the same thing about a car engine, especially with today's cars.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
well, only if the manual is half-assed. The old manuals were better, but by no means complete. If you make the manual bullit-proof, you could prove they actually didnt follow it. Also some legalese could be thrown in saying "only authorized dealers may perform this procedure" etc, all while still providing good info for the non-morons out there.

I think they are actually putting more people in danger by witholding info, especially if there are subtle changes between model years where previous advice may no longer safely apply (like how all their torque specifications changed).
Bingo!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC

Brian
Yeah, but that's one of the major things that makes Marzocchi better than, say, Fox - those manuals kick ass.

It's too bad about people suing over that though. Really. People are such idiots...as several threads in this forum would suggest....

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Slacker
Don't you think that's stretching it just a little. The average user is more than capable of rebuilding a fork. You can't say the same thing about a car engine, especially with today's cars.
Not really.... Both are mechanical devices to you need to be sure are functioning properly. Too many people seem to think along the lines of "It's only a bicycle..." But look at what we do on these bikes... Imporperly assembled equipment can equal serious injury or worse.... But, hey, it's only a bicycle, right?

Brian

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Not really.... Both are mechanical devices to you need to be sure are functioning properly. Too many people seem to think along the lines of "It's only a bicycle..." But look at what we do on these bikes... Imporperly assembled equipment can equal serious injury or worse.... But, hey, it's only a bicycle, right?

Brian
Im not one to rag too much on the pinkbike groms (lets face it, I usually end up erboning with a bunch of them), but this just seems like a very appropriate time to bring this thread to the attention of our viewers.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by SilentJ
Im not one to rag too much on the pinkbike groms (lets face it, I usually end up erboning with a bunch of them), but this just seems like a very appropriate time to bring this thread to the attention of our viewers.
OH MY F*CKING GOD.

Yeah, I think the "detailed" manuals might not be such a bad idea after all, eh? :p

Classic.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by SilentJ
Easy solution... Marzocchi slaps a couple stickers on all their forks

“Not For Use In Canada”

and

“A Bong is not part of a Bike Mechanic's tool list”

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA

Brian
No, but Marzocchi forks always came with manuals detailing the internals of the forks and how to maintain them. For home mechanics such as myself that was a VERY appealing feature of the forks. Damn near as important as how they performed. I've come to expect it when I purchase a fork from them. Knowing that I have purchased a quality fork that I can keep running like new for a very long time with minimum down time. I have eight Marzocchi forks in my house right now. Everything from a Marathon to a Monster T. I have learned to maintain them all but the two new ones which came with the same useless manual. All I can say is I'm very dissapointed and frustrated which is why I started this topic in the first place. It's a sad reason why you had to do it and I think anyone who doesn't take personal responsibility for their actions needs to line up for a cock punch.

So how do Chiltons and Haynes avoid litigation from their manuals which do describe how to rebuild your car engine?

Mike

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the funniest part is that, with very few exceptions (like the 888 maybe) all marzocchi forks are like 95% the same...manual? Ok, it was a little helpfull back in 99 with my Z2 BAM, apart from that, all of my other marzocchis have been similer enough that there was absolutely no questions as to how they were put together. I guess this sucks more for people that buy new forks and haven't owned the older ones, but if there was a company that could get away with "one manual for all", this would be it. I know that my 2002 manuals sucked, they were the "one manual fits all" type, but I never read em much anyway, at least past figuring out that they were "one fits all".

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
well there are some details they never even covered, like exactly how the SSV(F) goes together as far as which orientation the pieces go. In fact to this day i'm not sure which way the countersunk end of the valve body goes...not that it matters now since i made my own valves anyways.

I would at least appreciate a detailed exploded assembly view; i'll solve the puzzle from there Pat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well there are some details they never even covered, like exactly how the SSV(F) goes together as far as which orientation the pieces go.
awe yeah...but after riding my Jr T at high speed, I really wonder if it really matters :p