Quantcast

i'm a dumbass need some advice (bike related)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i remember browsing thru this thread a while back, but of course forgot about it.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132605

So anyways my horror story begins. Ordered some Hadley hubs, and the front is fine. The rear hub has two issues. When i was on the phone ordering, i specifically asked for a 72 gauge body and not a standard. The guy even put me on hold to check for inventory, said he had it, and told me there was no extra charge for it. So i get it today and of course it's a standard, and on top of that it's leaking oil.

So here's my boggle...

i have a couple of options before me.

One is i can call back Beyond Bikes, send the hub back, have them pay for all the shipping, and hope they send me back what i asked for.

Or give Hadley a call and hope that thru a warranty they'll swap out the standard and slap a 72 in there for a minimal charge since it's a brand new hub.

i'm really leaning towards the second option especially after revisiting the complaint thread on this forum. i'm wondering if i'd just be spinning my wheels trying to get Beyond Bikes to fix their f'up.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
The oil should just be from the freehub and shouldn't be an issue. The not getting the right tooth count is not shocking.

I would try the Hadley route first, but Beyond Bikes did me a huge favor while I was in San Diego, so I won't say a bad thing about them, even if I should.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
He's talking about 72 point engagement. Pay attention.
Yah it basically means it's more responsive, there's no play versus a standard 36.

This is the first set of super expensive hubs i've bought (always would run XT's that need annual help). So i figured i'd shoot the moon.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I would definitely want the 72 point. I don't know what it takes to change them though. You may want to just see if you can send it back to BB and get it from GoRide.

Now that I am a shop bitch I might get me some Hadleys. I want some XCish wheels with a 20mm hub.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Really, pulled it from the box and found quite a bit had leaked out, are you sure that's normal and not bad seals?
I've never had one, but the only oil I have ever known to be in a hub was to lube the pawls. It sounds like there is just a little too much in there. I can't imagine there is a seal. I'll see if I can find any info.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
You won't go wrong with a 72. I much prefer my 108!

The oil is normal. Just wipe it thoroughly, build wheel, ride a little, and wipe it again.

I prefer Hadley over King.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He's talking about 72 point engagement. Pay attention.
72 guage = 72 point engagement? Who'd a thunk it.?

Skooks I'd definately bust their balls over it. What does the receipt say? Any reference to the 'guage' of the hub?

splat

Nam I am
Skooks, I'd also start with Beyond Bikes. ask them to send you a New hub , with the RMA return invoice in the box. so You can take the New Hub out of the box , drop the old hub in , slap the sticker on and send it on its way.

also , fisrt thing you do when you start talking to them is ask to talk to a manager , because a Basic lackie won't have the authority to do what you ask.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
An update, i relunctanly called Beyond Bikes. Got ahold of the Zach the guy that had originally took my order.

After a short talk we got it totally clear of what i wanted. They paid for the return, added no extra charge for the upgrade, and sent it back as of today.

Don't really know how things got muddled at the start, but i do know that they were real easy to deal with when making things right.

i'm not going to say i'm looking forward to doing more business with them, but i will still consider them. For what it's worth they did correct their mistake, if they had not i would have obviously bashed them and never would consider doing business with them again...

In this case i'm pretty happy i ultimately got what i wanted, and glad the situation got worked out.

So there it is.