Quantcast

Im a little outraged. a little confused. and I want your opinion!

Aug 14, 2005
Green Bay
So I went it to Dennis Sport Shop here in Green Bay WI to order a 2006 Giant STP1, and I came upon a "know it all" bicycle mechanic.

I had a few arguments with him, kind ones, no yelling. I did get a little sarcasic. This guy was about 38. Said he has had about 150 bikes in his life. With nearly 20 sets of wheels on each. He apparently was a bike demo tester and reporter etc etc etc.

(I'll number em so we know which one your replies are based on)

1) He said hydrualic disc brakes are worse that mechanical disc brakes

2) He said air-assisted forks suck because they blow all the time on hard hits

and other claims that I dont remember

He didnt quite get the idea that I have had a Kona full suspension bike for 2 yrs now without ANY problems with my Hydro brakes or my dual air assisted fork. Was this guy stuck in his arrogant past?

What do you guys think about this?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pffft. It's green freaking bay!

Seriously though, there's always THAT mechanice, who feels like HE ALONE knows the truth about how bikes and their parts work, common knowledge be damned.

Here is my suggestion. Buy a Rex Grossman jersey and move to Chicago.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Easy.

Buy all of your own tools, and learn how to do all of your own mechanical work. Order everything off the internet. And skip dealing with this dumbass at your LBS.

Aug 14, 2005
Green Bay
thank you for assuring me that Im not insane by telling me he's a retard.

I mean cmon....hydro's over mechanical!?!?!?!??!?!

I want the STP1 realllly bad and thats the only store around here that has em.....i think...if not....im going to find out in 15 min and leave immediatelly

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This guy sounds like a roadie or an "old-school" mountain biker, who thinks everyone is running a 130mm stem with their SID Dual Air fork.

I know plenty of lazy shop employees whose knowledge does not extended farther than what they have touched or ridden.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Easy.

Buy all of your own tools, and learn how to do all of your own mechanical work. Order everything off the internet. And skip dealing with this dumbass at your LBS.
:stupid:
It's very rare that I hit the LBS these days.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
H8R said:
That's like being sorta dead.
[Miracle Max]He's only mostly dead.[Miracle Max]

Or something like that. My LBS has a guy that is sorta stuck in his ways too. He's a nice guy and all, but sometimes you just have to walk away. Good thing I have my own tools.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
adr3naline fix said:
Yeah, Should have said "pissed off"

woulda fit better

when to ANOTHER LBS and the guy ALSO said Mechanical brakes are better than Hydros
Dude, you're in Green Bay, like I said. People who still beleive Favre is a good quarterback probably also believe Mech discs are better than hydros:rofl:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
adr3naline fix said:
when to ANOTHER LBS and the guy ALSO said Mechanical brakes are better than Hydros
Depends on the hydros.

There are some dud hydros as compared to say, Avid mechs, and in this case this argument holds water.

But generally, no.

Tell these guys to go fall on a sharpened poo covered piece of rebar.

Aug 14, 2005
Green Bay
oh god brett farve sucks hardcore now.

Im not even into football and I beleive i have enough knowledge to put that together.

Green Bay is pretty lame. the only good thing that the Packers bring to the town is a real nice long manual box to stair gap at the stadium.

and I guess the 2006 STP1 is NOT avalible in the USA. Or so Im told. could be a Green Bay thing. Prob gonna go to my LBS next week and order a 06 P3 from people who really know what they are talking about when it comes to bikes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I called Dennis Sport this afternoon. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk to your mechanic, but I did chat with his boss about brakes and forks.

He was very nice and reasonable, but he hasn't got a clue. For example, he pointed out all the advantages of mechanical brakes but seemed to forget the obvious: hydraulic brakes stop better.

He also ready to point out that many air sprung forks do blow out under hits, at least until I mentioned the Fox 36 Talas. He shut up then.

He did say Green Bay is rather flat, and I can understand how powerful brakes and light forks would be unimportant. But if all you can recognize is what is outside your door, it is a poor way to run a shop.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You know... the guy could be talking from a MECHANICAL point of view, and not actually talking about what feels better, etc. I personally can't STAND twist shifters like Grip Shift and such, but from a mechanical POV they make a lot more sense: there's really only one moving part.

So for instance, it seems to me that mech disc brakes could potentially be a LOT easier to work on then hydros... just string up the cables and off you go done. Less to mess with, less to break. Hydros do have that annoying "bleed" thing you have to do with them, and centering the calipers can be tricky at times depending on what brand you're using, etc.

And those dang air shocks/forks with their crazy dampers and knobs and dual chambers and such... what? I remember my first REAL suspension fork: a Marzocchi Bomber Z2. You know what was inside of that thing? Springs and oil. That's it. Every air fork I've ever owned? Positive and negative air chambers, lockouts and compression dampers, travel adjustments, etc.

All this said, I'm mostly playing Devil's advocate... the guy is probably just set in his ways and a little on the narrow minded side. Or he's seen too many cold winters in Wisconsin that have frozen hydro brake lines and caused air fork seals to fail, who knows.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend said:
He is a moron, find a better shop.
:stupid: I think that for every rider out there, certain set ups will better suit how they ride. As a mechanic and sales person, I think this guy is a complete moron! when I am selling bikes in the shop I always preface statements of oppinion, as "in MY opinion", or "from MY experience" I stress that it is only MY opinion or experience and experiences may vary! I never try to impress people with what I know. If they come away impressed that is OK, but if they like the fact that I educate them on all the options and don't try to steer them based on my opinion and they ride away on a new bike, or walk away with new parts in hand and are happy, I have really done my job!

which brings me to my opinion on the #1 brakes, I have only run hydro disk brakes, (i just switched over when I purchased a new bike last year) I like them a lot, I have Juicy 7's now. A good friend has the mechanical's on his Karate Monkey and likes them a lot.
again personal pref. the hydros do seam to stop better though. IMHO.
good luck in whatever you choose to do! and whatever you choose to ride. lots of bikes so little time!
:thumb:

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
<snip>I know plenty of lazy shop employees whose knowledge does not extended farther than what they have touched or ridden.
That's part of the reason that I am likely to be running the LBS here soon. The owner is stoked that I care about the industry and kind of keep up.

Aug 14, 2005
Green Bay
I don't know who Zap is so I feel left out. lol

Green Bay IS pretty flat, except for about 20 min away. Downhills galore. There are some really nice concrete commerial lines at almost every building. Even Dennis has a long concrete wall to transition in the back of their building! lol

I walked into Denis about 30 min ago, wanting to check and see if they could get a hold of any 05 STP1's or 06's. I am now convinced that I need never go there again, and now I know why most people don't.

I can get a nice deal on a 06 P3. $1290 USD. And the bike shop owner will even give me time to pay it off!!! Can't complain.

I would rather have a STP-1 but here in Green bay, its pretty ghey.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
its fine to have your own opinions.. and in his mind he feels he is right.. to each their own... but dont force your views on others escially when he has nothing to back up his statements

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
reflux said:
I felt that way about Orange County shops until I found The Path. So far, so good.
I'm going to have to check them out now that I am closer. All shops in Pasadena suck ass, though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
adr3naline fix said:
I don't know who Zap is so I feel left out. lol

Green Bay IS pretty flat, except for about 20 min away. Downhills galore. There are some really nice concrete commerial lines at almost every building. Even Dennis has a long concrete wall to transition in the back of their building! lol

I walked into Denis about 30 min ago, wanting to check and see if they could get a hold of any 05 STP1's or 06's. I am now convinced that I need never go there again, and now I know why most people don't.

I can get a nice deal on a 06 P3. $1290 USD. And the bike shop owner will even give me time to pay it off!!! Can't complain.

I would rather have a STP-1 but here in Green bay, its pretty ghey.
The P3 is dope. I rode it. I liked it.