Quantcast

I'm a noob.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
Hi all, I'm new to this here forum and I'm lookin' at getting a new bike. The one I'm looking at is an Iron Horse, anyone know anything about these guys?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hi all, I'm new to this here forum and I'm lookin' at getting a new bike. The one I'm looking at is an Iron Horse, anyone know anything about these guys?
Do NOT spend a lot of money on your first bike. Do buy from a reputable and respected LBS (local bike shop).

Carn75

Chimp
May 10, 2007
South Jersey
Like mentioned above,dont spend a fortune on ur first bike.Ask urself a few question,and then ask ur lbs to help.For example,what kind of riding are u going to be doing,set a budget,etc..

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Well Iron Horse makes everything from $175 Sports Authority specials, to $5000 World Cup Downhill bikes.

Avoid the Sports Authority/Dicks Iron Horse bikes. Any Iron Horse you get at an actual bike shop should be pretty good.

Why don't you tell us specifically which IH model you are looking at?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
yeah, I would stay away from there cheap bikes.
whatever you're smokin, I don't want any.

My starter bike was an IH Warrior SE with 5" all around. I've DH'd it, crashed it, crashed it, crashed it, epic rides, etc... Never let me down. Occasional upgrades and tweaks here and there but that's to be expected with normal use. Which model were you looking at?

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
It's an Iron Horse Quantum, and it is one of those sports authority bikes. I can't afford any of the ones from my LBS...college is expensive. And I don't really ride very hard, most of the time i ride with my girlfriend on a lot of paved paths and I occasionally ride on some gravel and dirt paths.

Any way, like I said. It's an Iron Horse Quantum ($350 @ Sports Authority) with discs and a marzocchi fork, shimano shifters, and I think it's called "sram" for the deraileurs, says something about Truvativ by the crank too.

I've owned a Diamondback and a GT mtn bikes previous to this one and the GT was close in price of the one I'm looking at getting. But that was a few yrs ago...if that means anything. Never really had any problems w/ either of them besides bending rims.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's an Iron Horse Quantum ($350 @ Sports Authority).
You can get a bike on clearance from your LBS for $350.

Thing about your LBS is that you typically get one or more free tune-ups -- which you absolutely need after the first 100 miles. And the assembly job is typically better at your LBS.

Plus, you can learn stuff from those guys that you can learn here, but just having someone explain a few things while pointing at your bike is valuable.

Do yourself a favor, just go to the LBS and see what they have for $350. Write down the manufacturer and the model and tell us what's avaiable about for $300-$350.

We'll help you from there. We'll still help you even if you buy from Sports Authority :D

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
Gah I was worried about this...I've already gone to the 2 best known bike shops in my area, including one 15 mi. from my house and told them my budget and all they had for me were some old used bikes with little uncomfortable frames. One place said they barely ever clearance out bikes (unless he was just trying to get me to spring for a more expensive bike), and the other guy actually told me to check out sports authority. My parents said that they would pay for the 2 yr. extended service plan if I get the Sports Authority one.

Oh yea and one of my neighbors is real hardcore bike guy and he's always willing to help me out when I need it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
damn bro, where do you live? Sometimes the "best" shops don't cater to those of us on a budget.

Look, no worries about the IH from SA... they're a good company and a solid bike.

After you put about a 100 miles on the bike, search here for some info on tuning up your bike. It's not hard and you might already have the tools. If not, they're cheap.

Don't forget to buy a frame pump, spare tubes, and tire irons so you can change a flat while out and about. I recommend praticing a few times at home... you'll look like a hero when your girl gets a flat and you fix it for her.

also, WEAR A FVCKING HELMET! :D

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
Whew! good to know I'm not at a total loss cause I'm really looking forward to getting a new bike seeing as my brother bent the crap outta my frankenstein GT/Diamondback/Schwinn/possibly Huffy bike rim and messed up the shifters, its time for a new one.

And since my parents said that they would pay for the 2 yr. extended service plan I will get that and I made sure to ask if that includes tune-ups/adjustments. And I take my snowboard to the same SA for sharpenning and waxing and such the techs there are cool guys so we'll see.

But whenever I need help I now have plenty of resources :biggrin:

Thanks everyone! :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
damn bro, where do you live? Sometimes the "best" shops don't cater to those of us on a budget.

Look, no worries about the IH from SA... they're a good company and a solid bike.

After you put about a 100 miles on the bike, search here for some info on tuning up your bike. It's not hard and you might already have the tools. If not, they're cheap.

Don't forget to buy a frame pump, spare tubes, and tire irons so you can change a flat while out and about. I recommend praticing a few times at home... you'll look like a hero when your girl gets a flat and you fix it for her.

also, WEAR A FVCKING HELMET! :D
And if you're going to be riding for any length of time, a good hydration pack will be quite helpful too!

Welcome to the circus!!! :monkey:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's an Iron Horse Quantum, and it is one of those sports authority bikes. I can't afford any of the ones from my LBS...college is expensive. And I don't really ride very hard, most of the time i ride with my girlfriend on a lot of paved paths and I occasionally ride on some gravel and dirt paths.
For your purposes, the IH Quantum will be plenty of bike. Good luck, and welcome to ridemonkey! Enjoy your new bike.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I've been riding a IH Warrior SE hardtail for 2 years. Started with stock Dick's come with its but gradually bought parts off my riding buddies as they upgraded and now have a frame I'm really comfortable on, can ride almost anything I want and am happy. It's a mess with it's freak parts but hey..Avid BB5s, Marz DJ3 fork, WTB rims, good tires. It's cool. My ability is a bigger factor than my bike!

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
Well to anyone that wants to know. I went and got the IH quantum for Sports authority. It rides awsome, way better than any other bike I've owned. And went on about a 6mi. ride the day I got it and nothing outta the ordinary, from what I know about bikes anyway.

Here's some pics...
l_a226af4f989cd141c4f4a8413ff8bbe3.jpg

l_b0fac603402c528c904c13f5b23c23c2.jpg

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Hey I just wanted to show you something:
Schwinn Mesa Gs, $279 (plus $35 shipping fee), or shipped free to your local Performance store
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=23238

Use the code 6002377 for the 15% off to get to the $279 number. They will assemble for free at your local Performance Bike shop if there is one nearby.

A friend of mine has this bike, and I must say it's a great bike for the money. Name brand parts all the way around, full SRAM drivetrain. Rock Shox fork. At least consider it.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
First step: Remove Reflectors.

Yea I'm gonna do that...I rarely ride at night let alone actual roads that cars drive on. That one on the handle bars sure looks awsome huh? :biggrin:

Oh and Oldskoolbiker, I did test ride a mesa similar to that one but i just didn't feall very comformatible on it.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
whats a good way to get the reflectos off the spokes? theres no screws or anything and I don't want to bend the spoke it's on by trying to pop it off.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
OK, so i've been doing a lot of riding with my new and have a couple questions. This is the first bike I've owned with disc brakes and noticed you (at least I) can't really skid. Do I just have weak brakes? Or are they designed like that so you can brake hard through a corner and not lose traction? Although the front brake works FANTASTIC compared to my old bike. Are you supposed brake more with the front and less with the back?

Also, in some of the gears the chain rubs on the front deraileur a little bit. Should I take it in and get it adjusted or is stuff like that just something that comes along with having a multi-speed bikes.

please don't be mad at me for being a N0.ob...:huh: \

thanks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
For skidding, try an ice hockey skate stop. Make sure to have someone video it in case you high side. Good times.

As for derail, yes, should not rub. The wires will stretch a little more before you can really give it a good tune up.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
ok, so there's like a break-in period for some of the components on MT bikes? and on the fork, there are turny things on the top with + and - on it which I'm guessing is to adjust how soft/stiff the fork is. Is one knob for compression and the other for rebound or do they do the same thing?

Man, I just realized i didn't get an owners manual with it? I should really go back there and tell them to get me an owners manual! :rant: It would probably answer a lot of my questions w/ out having to bug everyone on here.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
OK, so i've been doing a lot of riding with my new and have a couple questions. This is the first bike I've owned with disc brakes and noticed you (at least I) can't really skid. Do I just have weak brakes? They are discs, but they're cable actuated as opposed to hydrualic (More power in hydros) so you're loosing a little braking power with the cable stretching. I'm not familiar with that model of cable disc brake to know whether it has a separate pad adjuster knob (a way to get the pads closer to the rotor w/o rubbing) but you could always loosen the bolt that holds the cable to the caliper (where the brake pads are) then pull the cable taut and re-tighten the bolt. Cables (brake and shifter) will stretch out over time. So every once in awhile, just tighten 'em up (you can do it, or have a shop do it...the shop might charge you for some of the minor maintenance items like this so learn as much as you can on each visit...)... Or are they designed like that so you can brake hard through a corner and not lose traction? Although the front brake works FANTASTIC compared to my old bike. Are you supposed brake more with the front and less with the back?

Also, in some of the gears the chain rubs on the front deraileur a little bit. Should I take it in and get it adjusted or is stuff like that just something that comes along with having a multi-speed bikes. It depends, I'm sure there's some cable stretch going on, but also if, for example, you're in the smallest gear in the front and the smallest gear in the back (this is bad!) the chain is at quite an angle (you want to try and keep the chain as straight and inline with itself as possible for wear and performance reasons)...so that could cause some of it. But definitely check the cable tension first. I'd recommend taking it in for the LBS to check over and you can take notes (mental or scribble them down for later reference) on what they did to get it working better. Then just be aware of the chainline after that, it takes a bit to get used to having the right gears at the right time...

please don't be mad at me for being a N0.ob...:huh: \

thanks.

Responses in red! :busted:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
ok, so there's like a break-in period for some of the components on MT bikes? and on the fork, there are turny things on the top with + and - on it which I'm guessing is to adjust how soft/stiff the fork is. Is one knob for compression and the other for rebound or do they do the same thing?

Man, I just realized i didn't get an owners manual with it? I should really go back there and tell them to get me an owners manual! :rant: It would probably answer a lot of my questions w/ out having to bug everyone on here.
Checking the Marz site...says that the fork on your bike just has Preload adjusters on both legs...So basically both of the adjusters just adjust the amount of load placed on the springs in the fork prior to you getting on the bike. This will adjust how stiff the fork is initially (before you hit any bumps).

And yep...there's a break-in period with basically every component.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Cool thx. About how long is a typical break-in period and do you just take it in for a tune-up after that period?

hmmm...I think the range I got from the shop when I bought my first bike from them was about 100-150 miles or 3 months...which ever came first...They made sure all the bolts were tight, the cables adjusted, and some other miscellaneous stuff.