Quantcast

I'm about to order Goodridge hoses....

J

JRB

from Universal Cycles. I am also going to order a single track rim. I bled Julie's Juicy 7s last night, and they are easy enough that I am going to go ahead and fix the kinked line on the Reign. Hopefully everyone is right and this whacky routing doesn't kink the Goodridge hose. It'll suck if I break a $55 line.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
loco said:
fix the kinked line on the Reign. Hopefully everyone is right and this whacky routing doesn't kink the Goodridge hose. It'll suck if I break a $55 line.
If your that worried about it, Dude your buying New hoses. Route them how you want and sue some zip ties. There is no law that says they MUST follow the original path. And youll have some legth to play with also. Just remember Steel braided lines help with power, but can lower your modulation<IE make your brakes an on/off operation>

J

JRB

So will they screw my on my Juicys modulation???

I will likely not use one of the clip mounts, and will tie to the top tube. I likely won't sue them, and hope I don't break any laws. :D

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:

I will likely not use one of the clip mounts, and will tie to the top tube. I likely won't sue them, and hope I don't break any laws. :D
Wait, since when can you use goodridges on Juicy 7s? I thought they wouldn't fit the juicys?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
loco said:

Dont know, i have never ran Steel lines on Juicies. But you should have no worries about kinking them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
robdamanii said:
Wait, since when can you use goodridges on Juicy 7s? I thought they wouldn't fit the juicys?

Sure they will, just have to tell them what your ordering them for to get teh right fittings is all.

Hey loco just look at it like this with the modulation, part of your modulation comes from the line expanding as it pressureizes. some of that expansion will be gone with the steel braides so youll lose that much Modulation. Might not even notice a difference

On mine only time i ever noticed a change in Modulatin was when i was talked into try some EBC Red pads...... Bad idea

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Buy the lines. I have them. I love them. You want modulation? Don't pull on the brake levers so hard. (They do have great modulation and power.)

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Buy the lines. I have them. I love them. You want modulation? Don't pull on the brake levers so hard. (They do have great modulation and power.)
Good point. Is $105 for the pair a good deal???

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
loco said:
Good point. Is $105 for the pair a good deal???
If you get the correct fittings it's not a bad deal. Should be cheaper but it's not, hopefully another company comes out and competes to lower the price.
Anyways the lines will not effect your modulation, if you think you're getting better modulation thru flex, you're stoned. You don't get anything except for poor performance and arm pump. Like someone said, a little creativity with zip ties and you can probably save yourself a few bucks.
At any rate it's quite a chunk of change for an upgrade that only really comes in handy for downhill, since you're on your brakes alot. But yah if you need it for a reroute, you can do whatever you want to em with no loss of efficiency, as you can see on the back line on my bike.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Skookum said:
If you get the correct fittings it's not a bad deal. Should be cheaper but it's not, hopefully another company comes out and competes to lower the price.....
Hope has awesome braided lines made for them. Similar to Goodridge, but a bit cheaper. They also come with a great connector kit that includes all the fittings you need to mount them to most brakes.
I run them on two of my bikes now. First bike install was easy, and they proved themselves the first ride I had on them when I had a nasty crash running the SC fork and twisted the crap out of my bars/lines. Would have destroyed the stock lines, showed me how good they are.

Check into those before ordering the Goodridges, maybe they'll work on the Avids?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
So are the steel braided lines really a lot stronger than a normal line?

Are they more resistant to kinking?

Can the inner tube still break as easily as on a normal hose?

Thanks!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
maxyedor said:
They do suck to put together but work realy well once they are together.

Shookum, what's up with the extra loop of hose by your rear QR?
Mine were fairly easy to put together... I just followed the directions :D I am running XT four piston brakes with Gooridge hoses.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
maxyedor said:
Directions are for chumps:rolleyes: The fittings that go into the hoses always seem to be a battle, but I never have set them up for shimano.
Mine were tight but nothing that had me cursing or hitting walls. But hey, better a tight fitting than a leaky hose!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
maxyedor said:
Shookum, what's up with the extra loop of hose by your rear QR?
An added anchor point so it will stay put better than if it was routed normally with more slack.

Plus it's something you can do with Goodridge and can't do with normal lines without effecting performance.

bikenweed said:
So are the steel braided lines really a lot stronger than a normal line?

Are they more resistant to kinking?

Can the inner tube still break as easily as on a normal hose?
Yes Yes and No

J

JRB

I called Universal and they didn't think I knew which kit I needed. I then called Go-Ride, and they were pretty sure. I came home and looked in the DH thread for which one, and I am going to just order them online now.