Quantcast

I'm all in.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Sold my Sinister Splinter, bought a '11 Ridley Icarus (Flandrien paint), Sram Apex group. Gonna rock my mtn shoes and egg beaters for a while... Getting fit on monday or tuesday next week so I can offer a ride report on the Apex group. First Sram experience for myself.

Any stupid mtn biker advice you can offer, b/c most definitely I am going to be "that guy" more often than not unfortunately. Been doing a couple spin classes a week at the gym, shagged a ton of weight off and in pretty decent shape.

Google Image search results...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Any stupid mtn biker advice you can offer, b/c most definitely I am going to be "that guy" more often than not unfortunately.

Actually as a generalization I think lots of roadies could take a lesson from mtn bikers: Just chill out and enjoy the ride.

There is a ton of etiquette to eventually pick up, particularly as relates to riding in a pace line or big group. For the moment I would try not to worry too much about it. Just jump in and keep a good attitude.

If you go out with a group, however, I suggest you identify yourself as a noob so nobody expects you to do all the little things that become second nature over time.

If you find yourself in a pace line, don't overlap wheels, don't do anything erratic, and don't accelerate if you end up in front. Just keep it smooth and steady unless someone tells you otherwise. It is helpful to have a cycling computer so you can control your speed. The amount of effort needed to maintain a given pace will change with your exposure to the wind and it can be hard to judge without a speedometer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wow, that's a great looking bike! Seems like the perfect thing to start out on (though I've been riding road for a while and your bike is nicer than mine). Just go out and have fun. Good idea to get a fit. Never got one myself, but probably should (or should have). And don't worry about the mountain shoes and pedals. I used mtb pedals for years on the road. Switched over a bit ago and it's not a huge difference except that walking around in the road shoes is downright dangerous and not just uncomfortable.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I've got a buddy to get me started, make sure I don't do anything too foolish, LOL. He's on an endurance team and rides more than he drives. I've been shopping for a computer online, see what the bike shop wants to do to help me out on some accessories maybe. Some more lycra, ect. I spent more than I planned to on the Ridley, but the shop helped me out on it some and I want to return the favor and spend some money in the local economy and keep the LBS's doors open. It pained me to buy new @ shop... Last NEW bike I bought was my GT LTS 2000 in '99? And that was a firesale b/c the owner ran the shop into the ground.

(repped btw)

Last edited:

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Picked up my bike this morning, got fit yesterday afternoon and take it for a brief ride around town by the shop, but had to wait for bank of america to lift the freeze on my bank account for "fraud protection" til this AM, out of state opened bank account, and a stack NY paychecks from teaching motorcycle safety courses this spring that I just got. Someone behind a desk thought it looked sketchy I guess... Felt kinda silly when only a couple hundred dollar transaction got bounced to pay the balance off.

Spent a bunch of money in the shop like a good consumer, 50% off a pair of Cannondale Carbon shorts... couldn't past that up. Someone emailed me "The Rules" http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/ Focusing on #5 for now, gonna put some miles on it in the morning. Pics to follow, just got home and it's dark and raining... meh, lousy spring so far, thankfully I have a road bike now to enjoy it even if the weather doesn't cooperate.