Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Its reading fast, giving him the false impression he is getting more miles per gallon than he really is...

Sad, I didnt think Mueshue would rub off on you that badly.....
Dude, figuring out how to calculate how far off my speedo/ mileage is is like 10th grad algebra. My truck is geared tall, and on flat freeway friving will do 22 no problem.

Unless kiddy math is hard for you still???

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Dude, figuring out how to calculate how far off my speedo/ mileage is is like 10th grad algebra. My truck is geared tall, and on flat freeway friving will do 22 no problem.

its called an ODOMETER

velocity is not part of the Miles / Gallon equation.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Nope, my math is fine..... I just know better with that vehicle your driving.. your not geting 22MPG, 18 MPG tops if you baby it every were you go

And how do you know its geared tall... do you actually know what that means???

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Its reading fast, giving him the false impression he is getting more miles per gallon than he really is...

Sad, I didnt think Mueshue would rub off on you that badly.....
Who the fvck calculates mpg's off their speedometer? To get the distance traveled, do they time a segment of acceleration, then plug that duration (t), the initial velocity (v1) and final velocity (v2) into the d = (v1*t) + 1/2 (a*t^2), where a = (v2-v1)/t to get the distance traveled???

Don't think so, champ. Please, read this:

its called an ODOMETER

Nice try though....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Nope, my math is fine..... I just know better with that vehicle your driving.. your not geting 22MPG, 18 MPG tops if you baby it every were you go

And how do you know its geared tall... do you actually know what that means???
That's freeway, not combined. My fixie is for around town.

all I know is my rear end has the hardest gear they put in the truck. So I sit at like 1700RPM on the freeway

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Who the fvck calculates mpg's off their speedometer? To get the distance traveled, do they time a segment of acceleration, then plug that duration (t), the initial velocity (v1) and final velocity (v2) into the d = (v1*t) + 1/2 (a*t^2), where a = (v2-v1)/t to get the distance traveled???

Shhhhhhhh, you're being dumber than me. The speedometer and the odometer work off the same plug. So therefor how ever far your odometer is off is going to directly proportional to how far off your speed is.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Nice try though....
Dood........... stop over thinking ****... if the speedometer is of, than the odometer is ticking fast as well... you would use the odometer and divide miles driven by gallons of fuel..... average fuel economy.

What I am saying is when Mueshue thinks he is doing 75, he is doing 70< pulled those out of the air..... giving him the misdirection that his vehicle is getting 22MPG...

That's freeway, not combined. My fixie is for around town.

all I know is my rear end has the hardest gear they put in the truck. So I sit at like 1700RPM on the freeway

Dude... its a deisel.... thats called normal. and no that isnt freeway, again I work on those piles..... your getting 18 tops, thats just the nature of the beast kid.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Dood........... stop over thinking ****... if the speedometer is of, than the odometer is ticking fast as well... you would use the odometer and divide miles driven by gallons of fuel..... average fuel economy.
I get how it works you dingleberry. When I went to bigger tires on the Jeep I had to swap out the speedo gear.

I was merely pointing out you worded it funny.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Dude... its a deisel.... thats called normal. and no that isnt freeway, again I work on those piles..... your getting 18 tops, thats just the nature of the beast kid.
They put 3 different gears in the back end of those trucks dude. There is no "normal" for them. the difference in MPG between cruising at 70 at 2200RPM and 70 at 1700 RPM will be quite significant. That's going from pumping like 12-13PSI of boost down to about 3.

Shouldn't you know that??????

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
its called an ODOMETER

and the ODOMETER is tied to the SPEEDOMETER.
I'm glad you understand that, so I'm sure you should understand that when calculating miles/gallon, the only variables you need are distance (miles) and fuel consumed (gallons). Velocity not required for this calculation.

I'm not sure what year your heap is, but unless your truck still has a physical speedometer cable, then your odometer IS tied to your speedometer. Whoop de do. In which case velocity is still not required for the MPG calculation.

If your truck does not have a speedometer cable, then you have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS). In which case your odometer IS NOT directly tied to the speedometer. The VSS sends a signal to the ECU/PCM. The ECU/PCM reads the frequency of the sine wave and extrapolates distance and ticks away at your odometer. The ECU/PCM then takes that data and actuates your speedometer. Still, velocity is not required for the MPG calculation.

If you have a malfunctioning speedometer head (if cable actuated), malfunctioning VSS, malfunctioning ECU/PCM, malfunctioning instrument panel, incorrectly sized tires, etc... you could not be getting correct data.

Go find a stretch of road that has those silly "speedometer check" signs. Cruise at 60mph and use a stop watch to see how long it takes you to go 1 mile per the signs. If it takes exactly 60 sec to travel 1 mile, then your system is accurate and Dirty is wrong. If it takes less or more than 60sec to travel 1 mile at what you believe to be 60mph, then get your chit fixed.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I give up...... this kid is only gonna listen to his own inane rambling. Trying to carry on a conversation with him is killing my brain cells. Eff it. I'm done trying to teach him something when he ASSumes to know everything already. We'll see how long it takes him to realize that this game of one upmanship and "I know better than you concerning everything" is only gonna end with a youtube vid of him getting pwned in some way or another.
.... ftfy

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Velocity not required for this calculation.

In which case velocity is still not required for the MPG calculation.

Still, velocity is not required for the MPG calculation.

What is the tachometer connected to then? Why does my engine rev when all 4 wheels leave the ground? How did my radiator fail after I landed hard to many times? It was my inablity to control my Velocity that accounts for my bad mileage, broken parts, and poor performance. Sadly the Honda no longer receives the Racing desigantion. Just maybe Mooshu has figured a way to factor that into his MPG calculations and you are not able to understand it so he is being nice by not calling you out on it. Maybe your being a little harsh on the poor little fellow? His passion is commedable for a poor kid from the projects don't you think?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
.... ftfy :p

btw.. tachometer readings are not required for the mpg equation either.
Hey I'm no Mooshoe... One thing at a time... What does ftfy stand for?

I sent an email to the science guy about the tachometer readings as I suspect you're wrong about that. He takes a couple of days to get back to me, so i'll have to get back to you on that. When I am tired like this I have difficulty with simple arithmetic and stuff so I am failing at explaining why you're wrong. But you are and I just know it....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Hey I'm no Mooshoe... One thing at a time... What does ftfy stand for?

I sent an email to the science guy about the tachometer readings as I suspect you're wrong about that. He takes a couple of days to get back to me, so i'll have to get back to you on that. When I am tired like this I have difficulty with simple arithmetic and stuff so I am failing at explaining why you're wrong. But you are and I just know it....

FTFY.... Fixed That For You

Tach doesnt have anything to do with MPG equation. The MOG equation is simple, how far did you dirv e on how many gallons of fuel.

The tach simply tells you the engine speed, that is all.

Engine speed is but a small part of what will derive the vehicles total effiency, the amount of power output at a given rpm, will also determine that....... SOmetimes, a lower RPM in a particular vehile setup will equate to using more fuel, sometimes it wont.........it all depends.

We are not going to get into how turbo boost effects fuel milage, we dont want anyones brains to explode

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FTFY.... Fixed That For You

Tach doesnt have anything to do with MPG equation. The MOG equation is simple, how far did you dirv e on how many gallons of fuel.

The tach simply tells you the engine speed, that is all.

Engine speed is but a small part of what will derive the vehicles total effiency, the amount of power output at a given rpm, will also determine that....... SOmetimes, a lower RPM in a particular vehile setup will equate to using more fuel, sometimes it wont.........it all depends.

We are not going to get into how turbo boost effects fuel milage, we dont want anyones brains to explode
you forgot aerodynamics, at which point velocity does factor in.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Carefull..... we are going to heve Mueshue Braiuns all ovuir the placee
Yup, I'm dumb and you're wrong. Did some simple math, and if I have bigger tires than stock and my speedo/ tach is off like you are claiming. Then I would in fact be reporting a lower MPG. Wow, if I feel really stupid for not seeing that already, how should you be feeling???

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yup, I'm dumb and you're wrong. Did some simple math, and if I have bigger tires than stock and my speedo/ tach is off like you are claiming. Then I would in fact be reporting a lower MPG. Wow, if I feel really stupid for not seeing that already, how should you be feeling???
Dumbass......... Bigger tires are harder to turn, costing more fuel.......

See you really dont have a clue as to what is going on in a vehicle, a "taller" gear, or higher gear in the rear end does not mean the vehicle is going to get better mpg, your assuming that because you cruise at 1700ish rpm that means your getting better milage because you have a "tall" gear, when in reality you dont have a clue.

YOur not getting 22mpg, i know those trucks way too well... they didnt get that new.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Dumbass......... Bigger tires are harder to turn, costing more fuel.......

See you really dont have a clue as to what is going on in a vehicle, a "taller" gear, or higher gear in the rear end does not mean the vehicle is going to get better mpg, your assuming that because you cruise at 1700ish rpm that means your getting better milage because you have a "tall" gear, when in reality you dont have a clue.

YOur not getting 22mpg, i know those trucks way too well... they didnt get that new.
Dumbass, I'm talking about the speedometer being off. If you tire is 35 inches, and your speedo is off cause it is set for something that's say 29 inches. That's roughly 18 MORE inches per revolution of the tires than the stock size. Multiply that over a few miles and you're actually traveling. Meaning you would have traveled 1.2 times farther than the

I know bigger tires mean "more fuel" but not always, dude's put semi tires on their 2wds to bring up the mileage (similar to the idea of a 29er) (and not that my softer all terrains are going to get better mileage)

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I could do some more complicated math, but it would probably go over mikes head, I don't think he can handle limits and derivatives.
Huh... this is common market terminology. Can you please explain to me how duration and volatility impact the value of a derivative when you have a small change in the underlying. Can you also detail the changes to risk value when you have a change in volatility and/or duration?

Thanks!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Huh... this is common market terminology. Can you please explain to me how duration and volatility impact the value of a derivative when you have a small change in the underlying. Can you also detail the changes to risk value when you have a change in volatility and/or duration?

Thanks!
He's talking about limits and derivatives as standard math terms, not as market terminology. :nerd:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
He's talking about limits and derivatives as standard math terms, not as market terminology. :nerd:
Can the Euler Method be used with MooShoo's version of MPG calculation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.