Quantcast

I'm bleeding all over the trail, and you're having a great day..

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
3,123
0
Boston....outside of it....
I crashed yesterday.

Did an endo type superman thing onto some gravel....slid for a bit....
ended up in a fetal position...


So, when I was sitting there, bleeding profusely from my arm, a couple of people walked by....they didn't stop and ask if I needed any help.


Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? :mumble:

I was hurt, but I was getting pretty pissed off. I wanted to smack the crap outta them with my helmet (it's the only thing I had in my hand).
 

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
1,478
0
South Bend
I always stop and offer assistance when I see riders stopped on the trail or road, even if I don't see blood I see if there ok, 2 summers
ago when I was still in Chicago I came across a senoir couple stopped on the side of the Prairie Path, I stopped and asked if they where ok, and the Mr, said he had a flat, and was catching his breath before fixing it, so I offered to help took about ten minutes out of my day they were real nice people who where on a 45 mile ride, and the guy tells me he's 85! wow I hope I am doing rides like that when I'm in my Eighties.

It always pays to stop and help....
 

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
1,112
0
Seattle
I like stopping and asking people if they need help makes me feel like a better person.
 

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
117
0
Chico
I would have most certainly offered some assistance. I carry one of those mini first aid kits in my camelbak and I'm just dying to come across some injured person who needs it! I'm one of those people who doesn't wipe out very much, so I'm sure I'll be giving it over to someone instead of using it on myself :D
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
I got some of that good karma back when I took a nasty over-the-bar endo about 20 some odd miles into the Ouchita Challenge a couple years ago. I managed to slice my knee open on something on my bike as I flipped over the handle bars. The slice was deep and about 3 inches long. Fortuantely for me a gal stopped who was a med tec and she had some super glue for skin and some cleaning pads. She got me all fixed up and I was able to get back on the ride. I got my knee looked at when I got back home and the Dr said I didn't need stiches because of what she'd done with the glue.

:)
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
Flakey Jake said:
I would have most certainly offered some assistance. I carry one of those mini first aid kits in my camelbak and I'm just dying to come across some injured person who needs it! I'm one of those people who doesn't wipe out very much, so I'm sure I'll be giving it over to someone instead of using it on myself :D

You shouldnt have said that, next time you go for a ride, you are going to sever your head
 

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
Splat would have stopped asked you how you were and then taken your photo. :D ;) :D

Hey , thats Not fair! Did I take a Picture of Laura after she Face planted that Bridge ? I only take them when I know they are OK.

I haven't had a Flat in Months . And a little over a 2 weeks ago, Berkshire_rider and my son came upon 2 riders in the wood , one with a flat and no Spare. So I gave him mine, loaned him a tire iron , and Berkshire_rider supplied the pump. Less than a hour later a I had a Flat , That weekend I broke a spoke on my Rear wheel ,The following weekend , a flat up at King dom trails , THis past wednesday , Cleat came loose and trying to tighten it the bolt broke, then on the trail my seat post bolt broke. -- No good Deed Goes Un Punished!
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
My friends won't lend out tools or tubes to strangers. I am not sure I would get a tube either. Once, the 5 of us had stopped and someone came up with a flat. Even though everyone had a tube, I was the only one to offer.

But only if I had two spare tubes.
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
sanjuro said:
My friends won't lend out tools or tubes to strangers. I am not sure I would get a tube either. Once, the 5 of us had stopped and someone came up with a flat. Even though everyone had a tube, I was the only one to offer.

But only if I had two spare tubes.

I offer Patches, and help change the flat, but not give out tubes
 

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
3,978
1
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've given out tubes before. I usually carry a Slime tube or Aritlock tube in my seatbag. It doesn't cost that much, I don't get flats very often, because I use sealant and spin skins, and it promotes good will. You never know, one of those people might be the one who stops to help you next time. Besides that, the riding enviroment in Arizona is pretty hash, it's just the right thing to do.


I won't give out my spare tube during a race :D I saw a boy racer, you know the type - a water bottle, no spares or tools because they weight to much, hurl his full XTR bike into the cactus because no one would stop during a race and help him fix his bike.
 

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
6,416
0
i always lend out tubes to people im riding with. i dont mind if they are the normal tubes but if i have to lend out a dh tube which is what i usually carry now, then ill ask for it back after the ride or ill ask for them to pay me for it. even at cost dh tubes aint cheap.
 

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
2,093
0
crashing at a trail near you...
Reactor said:
I've given out tubes before. I usually carry a Slime tube or Aritlock tube in my seatbag. It doesn't cost that much, I don't get flats very often, because I use sealant and spin skins, and it promotes good will. You never know, one of those people might be the one who stops to help you next time. Besides that, the riding enviroment in Arizona is pretty hash, it's just the right thing to do.


I won't give out my spare tube during a race :D I saw a boy racer, you know the type - a water bottle, no spares or tools because they weight to much, hurl his full XTR bike into the cactus because no one would stop during a race and help him fix his bike.

for someone like that...id stop just long enough to laugh, then keep right on trucking.

its tools like that, that take themselves so seriously, that spoil it for the rest of us
 

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
2,241
0
Ballard 4 life.
MudGrrl said:
I crashed yesterday.

Did an endo type superman thing onto some gravel....slid for a bit....
ended up in a fetal position...


So, when I was sitting there, bleeding profusely from my arm, a couple of people walked by....they didn't stop and ask if I needed any help.


Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? :mumble:

I was hurt, but I was getting pretty pissed off. I wanted to smack the crap outta them with my helmet (it's the only thing I had in my hand).
I sympathise man! I was on Beacon in Spokane a couple years ago and endoed on a jump, and hurt myself pretty bad, and the guys I met that day and was riding with just kept going. To top it off some lady was walking by with her dog, asked if I was ok. Groaning in pain I said no, and she just walked away! What ever happened to the good Sameritan?
 

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
524
0
A guy I know was on a road ride and got hit by a car. The car stopped and the driver asked if he was alright, he said no (he broke his arm or collarbone or something I don't remember) and the guy just drove off.
 

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
3,978
1
Chandler, AZ, USA
I carry Gauze, telfa pads, co-ban, antiseptic, and some antibiotic cream. Once upon a time I was the guy that crashed every *&&%^&ing ride.

The funniest thing that happened from a crash:

I (like mudgrrl) did an over the bars, into a rock pile. I cut forearm on the right side near the elbow all the way to the bone. A couple stops to ask if I'm O.K., I show them the wound. You can see the girl's chain of thought on her face. "Oh, that looks bad {concern}"..."What's that white thing? {interest}" ..."OMG it's his bone! {shock}" "I'm going to puke.... {sickly white appearance}".

Any way we were riding with couple of Brits. One of them has a house near by and he volunteers to drive me back to my car. So we all bail and go to his house. We get there and the two Brits decide they must have tea before doing anything. No Kidding ....I'm leaving a trail of blood on his driveway, it's about 100f outside, and they make tea, before doing anything else.
 

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
5,247
0
Brooklyn
I would have def stopped to help as well. especially if someone has fallen . I have stopped before to ask people who are fixing a flat if everything is ok, just to make sure they have everything they need. I usually carry 2 spare tires, if a stranger got a flat I'd offer one and wouldnt expect money or a replacement, but if they gave me a replacement that would be cool, i'd never take money. i would just say .."well, just pass on the favor if it happens to someone else" and leave it at that
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,890
4
Hypernormality
I crashed pretty bad whilst in Cali once whilst riding with friends. We only had the most basic 1st Aid stuff, but another group passed, stopped, saw my wound and actually took time out of their ride to go back to the parking lot (a good mile or so each way) to fetch a full on medical kit, whereupon one of the chicks spent nearly 1/2 an hour pulling **** out of my wound, cleaning and patching it up. She did an awesome job, and they refused any kind of payment or other favour in return. Awesome :thumb:

I've always given any help I can, mechanical or otherwise to anyone who needs it. I've given away all my tubes before (I normally carry 2 or 3 on any off road ride over a couple of miles) and I've never asked or expected anything in return. Tubes are cheap. To date I've never experienced anything different in return. I think most MTBers are good people.
 

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
2,240
0
Arkansaw
MudGrrl said:
I crashed yesterday.

Did an endo type superman thing onto some gravel....slid for a bit....
ended up in a fetal position...


So, when I was sitting there, bleeding profusely from my arm, a couple of people walked by....they didn't stop and ask if I needed any help.


Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? :mumble:

I was hurt, but I was getting pretty pissed off. I wanted to smack the crap outta them with my helmet (it's the only thing I had in my hand).

You must be really ugly. :evil:
 

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
10,220
236
chez moi
N8 said:
I alway stop and ask if assistance in needed. I often band-aids in my camel pak.
You hippie liberal do-gooders are all the same.
 

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Discostu said:
A guy I know was on a road ride and got hit by a car. The car stopped and the driver asked if he was alright, he said no (he broke his arm or collarbone or something I don't remember) and the guy just drove off.
I was driving down this busy street one afternoon and as I passed a cross street, there was a dude laying in the street with his bike...right at the time I stopped another dude chased after the f'er that hit him...the guy hit a guy on a bike and left him layin in the street all f'd up right in a blind corner so if someone were to to turn, they would've run over him again...some people are just dickheads...