Quantcast

I'm bored...let's see your winter commuters!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'll go first. I'm using my Titus Racer X with studded tires, fenders, and some lights. I'm finding the studded tires work AWESOME!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
Laugh it up my friend, but that bike out climbs anything I have ever ridden. Nothing but love for that ride. :love:
It is much cooler to have a nice new bike that is never ridden than an old bike that is ridden often. Please replace the Klein with some nice rack candy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
do any of you commute in crappy weather in the winter (i.e. snow)? I'dl ike to keep riding, but the salt and crap they put on the roads will kill my beloved bike.

jacksonpt said:
do any of you commute in crappy weather in the winter (i.e. snow)? I'dl ike to keep riding, but the salt and crap they put on the roads will kill my beloved bike.
Yeah. I have to keep reminding myself that bikes are expendable, with a finite useful lifetime. Not riding because of salt can really put a damper on winter riding.

Heidi, what tires are those? My Extremes are starting to get tatty...

J

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
jacksonpt said:
I commute in ice, snow and crust but they don't use salt here, they use crushed lava rocks.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
johnbryanpeters said:
Yeah. I have to keep reminding myself that bikes are expendable, with a finite useful lifetime. Not riding because of salt can really put a damper on winter riding.

Heidi, what tires are those? My Extremes are starting to get tatty...

J
They are Innova 2.1's with 268 studs. They are damn heavy, but so what, it's a bit of extra resistance! :)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My bad weather bike is a '91 Marin Bear Valley (my first MTB) converted to SS. It's great. Every once and a while I'll even take it out in the woods just for old times sake. I haven't put the spiked tires on it yet. I'll probably do it tonight when I get home.